HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 18, 2018, 4:25 PM

^ Agreed but a self storage facility, unlike a residential building, won't impact views, increase road congestion, make it harder to find a parking spot, or lease a ground floor retail spot to -gasp!- a bar. Good luck finding a NIMBY to fight against that. Normal people are dismayed; but to the NIMBY's, they probably feel as if they dodged a bullet.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 4:21 AM

Philadelphia Museum of Art's Gehry-designed dining spaces open

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ed-dining.html

Thank God. The temporary cafe was not good at all. I'm too cheap to go to the restaurant, so I'll go to the new cafe next time I go.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
^ Agreed but a self storage facility, unlike a residential building, won't impact views, increase road congestion, make it harder to find a parking spot, or lease a ground floor retail spot to -gasp!- a bar. Good luck finding a NIMBY to fight against that. Normal people are dismayed; but to the NIMBY's, they probably feel as if they dodged a bullet.
You gotta stop generalizing about this stuff.

First of all, having lived in this hood and being acquainted with some of the people on the neighborhood board, you'll not find a more pro-development or urban-minded group of people. They WANT more residents in this area of the city, many of them don't have cars, and they sure as hell want more bars and restaurants, along with any other retail they can get.

They're also preservation-minded, wanting to keep and re-purpose the cool old industrial buildings still standing in the hood. So, wanting more development but not wanting to trash the cool old buildings is a thing. These ideas are not mutually exclusive.

Also, most "normal" folk are NIMBYs. It's merely developers and development geeks like us who aren't.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:25 PM

Truth ^

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:43 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Bummer about the storage facility, but the reality is that this property has been available for sale for many years and every developer in town has looked at it, including the several that have been buying and developing a lot in that neighborhood that past few years.

They all had their reasons for not wanting to build here-- maybe it was the drug treatment center next door, maybe the owner was asking for too much money, who knows?

Additionally, implying that this development proves some kind of failure of the rail park to attract development is silly. The Heid Building is finally getting redone, a small 7 story apartment building is under construction right next to the Heid Building, Arts & Crafts Holdings has a whole buttload of stuff planned for the area, and other properties nearby that were long-held by their owners are now becoming available. The Rail Park has a lot to do with that.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Bummer about the storage facility, but the reality is that this property has been available for sale for many years and every developer in town has looked at it, including the several that have been buying and developing a lot in that neighborhood that past few years.
Umm.. No? The current owner bought the property in 1994. He's just been sitting on it since then.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 12:53 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
Umm.. No? The current owner bought the property in 1994. He's just been sitting on it since then.
Um Yes. The listing hasn't even been taken down:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1314...ia-PA/6491765/

and this is like the 8th iteration of this listing over the last 5 years or so. One version had a rendering with a strip shopping center.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Um Yes. The listing hasn't even been taken down:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1314...ia-PA/6491765/

and this is like the 8th iteration of this listing over the last 5 years or so. One version had a rendering with a strip shopping center.
My bad. Do you know what the asking price was/is?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 1:19 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisinphilly View Post
My bad. Do you know what the asking price was/is?
I was told a number several months ago but I don't remember it.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:22 PM

Quote:

They all had their reasons for not wanting to build here-- maybe it was the drug treatment center next door, maybe the owner was asking for too much money, who knows?

Additionally, implying that this development proves some kind of failure of the rail park to attract development is silly. The Heid Building is finally getting redone, a small 7 story apartment building is under construction right next to the Heid Building, Arts & Crafts Holdings has a whole buttload of stuff planned for the area, and other properties nearby that were long-held by their owners are now becoming available. The Rail Park has a lot to do with that.
I was walking around the area yesterday and was blown away. I lived there in the mid 00's and it's come such a long way. The Arts & Crafts projects in particular are awesome examples of the possibilities of preserving funky old buildings rather than leveling them to throw up some half-assed shlock in their places.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 2:49 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
I was walking around the area yesterday and was blown away. I lived there in the mid 00's and it's come such a long way. The Arts & Crafts projects in particular are awesome examples of the possibilities of preserving funky old buildings rather than leveling them to throw up some half-assed shlock in their places.
I'm a big fan of their work.

Philly.com article from earlier this year:
Office district rising north of Center City, built of beer, barbecue, and exposed brick | Philly.com

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 3:23 AM

The POD hotel on 19th is coming along quickly. There's like, two stories of steel up.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2018, 9:18 AM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
The POD hotel on 19th is coming along quickly. There's like, two stories of steel up.
I noticed that they're using pre-cast concrete floor slab sections, which I imagine speeds things up considerably compared to poured floor slabs.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 7:12 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Some coming soons I've heard about through the grapevine:

6-story, 48 units with retail at Broad & Ellsworth

4-story, 10 units with retail at 40th and Lancaster

5-story, 96 units at 42nd and Ludlow

18,000sf addition to 38th st side of Penn Presbyterian Hospital

5-story, 7 units at 746 S 16th

State Office Building/Tower Place retail strip starting soon

7-story, 24 units and retail at 40th and Market

10-story, 32 units and retail also at 40th and Market

Penn Medicine announcing a new project soon

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 7:30 PM

Quote:
6-story, 48 units with retail at Broad & Ellsworth
Is this going into the St.Rita's lot or the Papa John's lot?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:07 PM

New project in Rittenhouse, pending review by Historical Commission. Similar in concept to 2110 Walnut.

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...y-new-neighbor

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
New project in Rittenhouse, pending review by Historical Commission. Similar in concept to 2110 Walnut.

I like it, but I think it's just because I like the setback style. Reminds me of NYC and how a lot of buildings have setbacks a'plenty.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2018, 8:23 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

...I mean who the hell wouldn't want to live next to Monk's. I personally would gain 10 lbs in delight. The article is true to the fact that Monk's brought Belgian beers to the Philly scene over 25 years ago. And, the mussels and fried chicken with the crazy hot sauce, and the infamous duck salad are to die for. Glad this is happening. Hopefully it goes through quickly.

Last edited by iheartphilly; Oct 22, 2018 at 8:38 PM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I like it, but I think it's just because I like the setback style. Reminds me of NYC and how a lot of buildings have setbacks a'plenty.
I think the top floors of this should have some great, unobstructed views. It's surrounded by lowrise buildings. I wonder if the electrical/municipal services on the other side of Monk's could be relocated somewhere. That corner lot seems like a prime location that could house a great project.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2018, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
...I mean who the hell wouldn't want to live next to Monk's. I personally would gain 10 lbs in delight. The article is true to the fact that Monk's brought Belgian beers to the Philly scene over 25 years ago. And, the mussels and fried chicken with the crazy hot sauce, and the infamous duck salad are to die for. Glad this is happening. Hopefully it goes through quickly.
I live near here. Love Monks. I think these units are going to be very high-end. Look like they will all be full floor unites and a bi-level penthouse. Moto does high quality work. They did Walnut Estates and other high end properties.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development