HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 6:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
I believe their argument is that the current garage is in disrepair which is a safety concern.
I got the pretext noted in the article. I am unconvinced the proposed parking ratio is to address the safety concerns, or an appropriate or necessary response more generally. And the proposed drive thru provision betrays as much.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 2:40 PM

Large photo update on BSL.com this morning

https://buildingsaltlake.com/downtow...EMAIL_CAMPAIGN)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:02 PM

Now I understand why there aren't more regular updates of Astra. It's as bad as I had feared, and in some ways worse. At least they didn't use a gross color of glass like their Boston building.

On this side there are 8 floors of blank wall at the bottom. What's going on with that? Is a blank wall the finished product?
https://buildingsaltlake.com/wp-cont...0-1200x900.jpg

This is just silly.
https://buildingsaltlake.com/wp-cont...8-1200x900.jpg

Not an awful angle, but there's still too much blank wall all over the place. The splotches of darker grey don't make it better.
https://buildingsaltlake.com/wp-cont...2-1200x900.jpg

For reference, Cambridge MA has a 454' residential coming up that looks like this:
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/attac...1-png.2756267/

https://assets.courbanize.com/kendal...be426fffe0.png

https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/c...121_sm_c04.jpg

To me, the Cambridge design is well worthy of being a city's tallest building. When is Astra going to be eclipsed by something that is worthy for Salt Lake City?

Last edited by DZH22; Yesterday at 2:28 AM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:47 PM
Space Magi

North side of Astra doesn't bother me. The west will get a mural soon and then eventually be covered up by another tower. It looks good from the east and south.

There were rumors of another tall building in the works at the recent SLC Construction and Development conference.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 8:59 PM

3rd South Demolition

I was walking down 3rd South this morning and noticed a sign on the little strip mall that contains the Green Ant that the building is going to be demolished.

There were also moving signs on some of the remaining businesses so I as assuming that the entire building is going to be demolished.

Does anyone know what is going to be built in its place?

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
I was walking down 3rd South this morning and noticed a sign on the little strip mall that contains the Green Ant that the building is going to be demolished.

There were also moving signs on some of the remaining businesses so I as assuming that the entire building is going to be demolished.

Interesting. I did some digging and found this. It is obviously outdated as it references a plan to develop what is now a liquor store. Still, it gives some insight as to what type of development might be considered at that location.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2024, 10:39 PM

Lol Within our lifetimes, can a single one of us here actually expect an even taller tower to be built right next door to cover this entire wall?

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:05 AM
of SLC

Man, how disappointing...

I searched the interwebs for "boobs" and it brought me right to this page. However fitting, these were not the boobs I was looking for.

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileybo View Post
Lol Within our lifetimes, can a single one of us here actually expect an even taller tower to be built right next door to cover this entire wall?

How depressing! Don't we have design guidelines that prevent something like this? I guess since they're just apartments, not sure many people care that much. If these were condo's, developer's would spend more on the exterior. I will say the south and east side are decent. I'll just avoid looking at it from the other angles. Does anyone know if they will light the top at night?

Last edited by zurich; Yesterday at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:38 AM

Apparently these are called the Altitude Apartments?
Anyway, I took this picture today because there was a Stadler train parked in the background, to the left of the structure:

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:51 PM

Astra looks absolutely atrocious from the north. If that's the final look, it's actually one of the ugliest pieces of architecture I've ever seen.

I don't know how anybody can look at the renderings and defend how it's turned out.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:57 PM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by meman View Post
I know the people involved here, and very recently was told there is nothing imminent happening, nor are there any firm plans, particularly since the previous concept relied upon utilizing parking at the state structure that was scrapped.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West