HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:05 PM

[Burlington] 1989 Appleby Line | ? m | 20 & 20 fl | Proposed

The proposed concept for redevelopment of the Subject Lands currently includes two 20-storey
residential buildings connected by a 6-storey podium with at-grade retail. Parking will be provided in
two underground levels and three above ground levels. In total, approximately 529 vehicle parking
spaces and 328 bicycle parking spaces will be provided. 187 one-bedroom + den and 297 two-bedroom
units are proposed for a total of 490 residential condominium units. Approximately 2,000 m2 of common amenity space and 1,000 m2 of retail space will also be provided.

Existing site: https://maps.app.goo.gl/fMmcjqFns2bksZ6U9 (Esso Gas Station)

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:40 PM

The podium brick will compliment the adjacent condo tower well.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
The podium brick will compliment the adjacent condo tower well.
I also think this an appropriate use of this property which is now a low density gas station. I suspect over the coming decades there will be a total redevelopment of the Metro plaza (I used to work there and goddamn is it a huge expanse of parking) and the plazas nearby will be redeveloped. I think the one right across the street will likely stick around the longest since it's the newest plaza, but they need to make this area a bit more pedestrian focused and they could have a nice little uptown district. Ground floor commercial is great in this area because people have everything they could need within walking distance. It actually makes little sense to drive except that the Metro plaza means crossing two huge roads and a inhospitable parking lot. Beyond that it's a great little spot.

The hydro corridor is an unfortunate us for the area right beside the busy street though and creates this uncomfortable walking distance to anything north of this development beyond the fact that's it's plazas.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2022, 7:58 PM

yeah I always got the vibe that the Metro plaza was planned for some sort of higher density residential right from the beginning, long before Burlington could support high density in this area. The reason I always thought that is because of the extension of Heron Way north of Upper Middle connection to Appleby. Always seemed strange that it was needed through a sprawling parking lot. High density medium rise residential condos along either side of it would make sense.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2022, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
yeah I always got the vibe that the Metro plaza was planned for some sort of higher density residential right from the beginning, long before Burlington could support high density in this area. The reason I always thought that is because of the extension of Heron Way north of Upper Middle connection to Appleby. Always seemed strange that it was needed through a sprawling parking lot. High density medium rise residential condos along either side of it would make sense.
I could have sworn I saw a Burlington masterplan that had redevelopment of this property in it.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Suburbs