HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Are they potentially developing the Riverplace Athletic Club site as well?
Riverplace is completely built out except for the vacant lot next to the substation that the agency formerly known as PDC has a project that should start construction very soon. This project would most certainly replace the 3-story townhome style apartments on Riverplace dr as well as the Riverplace Athletic club. I suspect there also be some shifting of ROW behind Riverplace to utilize the narrow grassy strip between the frontage road the parkway offramp from I-5.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
Are they potentially developing the Riverplace Athletic Club site as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Riverplace is completely built out except for the vacant lot next to the substation that the agency formerly known as PDC has a project that should start construction very soon. This project would most certainly replace the 3-story townhome style apartments on Riverplace dr as well as the Riverplace Athletic club. I suspect there also be some shifting of ROW behind Riverplace to utilize the narrow grassy strip between the frontage road the parkway offramp from I-5.
The site being discussed in the entire area between SW River Parkway, River Drive, SW Montgomery and Harbor Way, which includes the Douglas Apartments and the [former] Riverplace Athletic Club. The drawings I've seen don't show any vacation of the ROW, but it wouldn't be the worst idea. If nothing else it would be nice to extend the multi-use path all the way up to Montgomery (and, as part of some other project all the way to Waterfront Park).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 6:00 PM

i thought the main reason there arnt real tall buildings is the ground isnt very good because its rocky or something and would cost too much. also dont buildings last a couple hundred years? that going to be full of water next to the river. the sea is rising. if it survives a earthquake

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 6:52 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohiker View Post
If we get anything half as cool as the Asakusa Culture Tourism Center I will be ecstatic!
Yeah, one of my favorite buildings.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2017, 7:24 PM

i think tall buildings in oregon would be cool, i think there could be a better spot. thats whats cool about portland is the buildings are spread out. not too tall its not good in a earthquake

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 7:21 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
i think tall buildings in oregon would be cool, i think there could be a better spot. thats whats cool about portland is the buildings are spread out. not too tall its not good in a earthquake
Tall isn't really the issue with earthquakes with newer buildings, it is the older buildings that are more of a concern. As for this proposal, I was just down by the river the other day on the east side, and these towers are going to really be noticeable. That makes me so happy they are going for such a major firm to design them.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 10:54 AM

The best street I think for the tallest buildings would be 11th and 12th between highway 84 and highway 26. That's between both the east side light rail lines. Then have a streetcar connect those lines. Then you have the old downtown and a new futuristic area.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The site being discussed in the entire area between SW River Parkway, River Drive, SW Montgomery and Harbor Way, which includes the Douglas Apartments and the [former] Riverplace Athletic Club. The drawings I've seen don't show any vacation of the ROW, but it wouldn't be the worst idea. If nothing else it would be nice to extend the multi-use path all the way up to Montgomery (and, as part of some other project all the way to Waterfront Park).
I thought that might be the case. An MUP up Montgomery seems pretty necessary given the planned extension of the S. Waterfront Greenway. I hope this is in the discussion between the city and developers.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2017, 10:08 PM

Wheeler is on board. My guess is that Saltzman will support it too, and that Fritz definitely won't. I'm unsure which way way Eudaly or Fish will go.

Quote:
Portland Mayor Supports Skyscraper Project Along Willamette
RiverPlace, which could include 500 units of affordable housing, would require height limits to be raised along the river.

The developers looking to build tall towers near the South Waterfront now have a key supporter in City Hall.

Mayor Ted Wheeler backs a request by a Portland-based developer to lift the height restrictions for towers at RiverPlace to as high as 400 feet.

"I support it, number one, because I believe that as our city continues to grow, as the population continue to grow, we are going to need increased density," Wheeler said at a press conference on Friday. "And the best place in this city to create increased density is in the urban core."
...continues at the Willamette Week.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 12:04 AM

i wonder why it has to be 400 feet? did i miss something, i didnt read all these articales. it probably would look better if they were the hight of the buildings in sowa

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 12:12 AM
BANNED

This seems to be getting serious

Finally

I love it

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 12:14 AM

i guess its because the population in the us has grown so much real fast and theres not many options

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Wheeler is on board. My guess is that Saltzman will support it too, and that Fritz definitely won't. I'm unsure which way way Eudaly or Fish will go.
This is gaining traction rather quickly. When would the city council have the vote to raise the height restrictions?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohiker View Post
This is gaining traction rather quickly. When would the city council have the vote to raise the height restrictions?
A Commissioner would have to offer an amendment to the Central City 2035 Plan. They're starting deliberations next week, so we could see the amendment put on the table then. The council would then have to accept public testimony on the amendment, and other amendments that weren't already offered for debate. The final vote on the entire package can't take place until some time in the spring.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 7:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
A Commissioner would have to offer an amendment to the Central City 2035 Plan. They're starting deliberations next week, so we could see the amendment put on the table then. The council would then have to accept public testimony on the amendment, and other amendments that weren't already offered for debate. The final vote on the entire package can't take place until some time in the spring.
So with that estimation, and all the planning, design reviews, etc etc best case scenario for shovels in the ground in your opinion is what? 5 years from now?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
So with that estimation, and all the planning, design reviews, etc etc best case scenario for shovels in the ground in your opinion is what? 5 years from now?
There are way too many variables that I don't know about for me to be able to give an answer to that question.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 9:39 PM

My best, completely uneducated guess would be 10-15 years at the very least.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 11:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
My best, completely uneducated guess would be 10-15 years at the very least.
Oh damn really? I didn’t expect that

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
There are way too many variables that I don't know about for me to be able to give an answer to that question.
It all really depends on motivation. Earliest possible groundbreaking? Not sooner than a year. More likely minimum, 2-3 years?

It really depends a lot on how motivated all the parties involved are. City officials, banks, developers, architects and consultants, etc. All of them have to be motivated to make it happen fast.

With the appeals required for additional height, public meetings, etc, it could be a while. As noted above 10-15 years seems really negative. At that point I would expect motivation will move elsewhere in town.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 11:52 PM
Registered Ugly

Why would they engage a big name architectural firm and expend predevelopment dollars if it were that far out? You'd think they'd proceed at the limited heights before waiting that long. No developer in their right mind is operating on that sort of timeline.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland