HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 2:12 AM

Driving east over the burnside bridge is going to get more and more interesting....

Prison on the left, looney bin on the right.
What a mess.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:23 AM

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 3:44 PM

blech.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 4:16 PM

I actually like it...if it was downtown or in the Pearl. Seems a bit out of character for the area.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 5:20 PM

Given the quantity of glass on this building, let's imagine what it would look like if it wasn't all reflective and blue. What if it ended up being much darker than expected? It's happened before, not all that far away.

Could we possibly end up with a pair of dark monoliths guarding the Burnside Bridgehead? I think that it is quite possible. I hope that those white streaks and fins help, but I am not overly confident that this won't be just as dark as it's neighbor.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 6:37 PM

These latest renderings look better, especially the sexy sunset one, but I don't trust my eyes. It's going to be another massive, bulky behemoth. I'm still mourning the fact that this isn't a Malsin/WPA project utilizing the Fishels building. IMO this would be a great spot to trade unlimited height for a point tower and renovated corner building.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 6:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post
Given the quantity of glass on this building, let's imagine what it would look like if it wasn't all reflective and blue. What if it ended up being much darker than expected? It's happened before, not all that far away.

Could we possibly end up with a pair of dark monoliths guarding the Burnside Bridgehead? I think that it is quite possible. I hope that those white streaks and fins help, but I am not overly confident that this won't be just as dark as it's neighbor.
I think this will be like the ZGF Tower type of glass

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeade View Post

Possibly? Sure. Likely? Not really. Other buildings have been proposed with lots of blue glass, and they turned out fine.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:08 PM

5 MLK is using a window wall system, so it's unlikely to wind up looking quite as sleek as the curtain wall glazing used at the Cosmopolitan / Park Avenue West / Indigo. However there's no reason to believe that it's going to wind up looking dark like Yard, which makes extensive use of dark metal panel (and always did; they just used more of it than was approved).

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petcarpdx View Post
Possibly? Sure. Likely? Not really. Other buildings have been proposed with lots of blue glass, and they turned out fine.
Very true. I've even built several. I hope the reflectance values and VLT on the glass are such that they can get it to be bright and reflective. Modern neutral colored glass is frequently quite dark when it is installed. It's very tempting when looking at samples to get that high light transmittance and low reflectivity. What looks great and colorful in renderings and samples can be quite surprising when you get a whole wall of it. As much homework as I have done on glass, there is always a little suspense about how it looks on a glass wall of this size.

I wonder what glass they are planning to specify. The drawings simply call it vision glass.

Both examples you point out have significant cuts in the glass facade which allows contrast. Without them, they certainly wouldn't be as successful.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2017, 10:07 PM

This does bring up an interesting issue: When a building has enough glass that it essentially reads as a window wall or curtain wall rather than punched openings, should the glazing spec be part of the DR application? I think the additional metal panels on the yard are only part of the problem. Had they used a true curtain wall system that minimized the mullions and spandrels (like in the renderings) people would probably feel very differently about it.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 7:53 PM

An excavation and shoring permit is under review for 5 MLK:

Quote:
Excavation and Shoring for new 17 story building

Old Posted May 16, 2017, 12:04 AM

Revised Staff Report, which recommends approval.

Old Posted May 19, 2017, 8:33 PM

5 MLK was approved yesterday. Here's the latest presentation [PDF - 105 MB].

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 12:08 AM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:04 AM
BANNED

I wonder when demolition will begin

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovativethinking View Post
I wonder when demolition will begin
in a perfect world they should be tearing this one down right after they finish demolishing the Yard.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
in a perfect world they should be tearing this one down right after they finish demolishing the Yard.
I think there are greater atrocities the deserve to be demoed *cough* Grant Park Village *cough*

Old Posted Oct 16, 2017, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geohiker View Post
I think there are greater atrocities the deserve to be demoed *cough* Grant Park Village *cough*
Add the Matisse to that list.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2017, 7:42 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric cantona View Post
The adding extra glass to the Yard has made it less ugly, now we just have to get it built up around it so it doesn't stand out as much.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland