HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 9:28 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
I love the idea of a GO station there. I would prefer one there, which is right by downtown Stoney Creek, than out by the new Wal-Mart smart centre at the other end of Centennial where there is actually going to be a GO station built in a few years.
There's tracks out there?

Quote:
Where you put the parking structure won't work because that is Battlefield Park, a historic site.
I wasn't sure if there were parks around or not. I figured there was a reason for some of that land being empty. I suppose that the other park that I labelled could be a parkade instead.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedok View Post
There's tracks out there?

Yeah, down by the new Smart Centre, on the south side of the QEW by confederation park. There is going to be a new GO Station built there after the one on James St gets built.

HERE IS A LINK to the location on google maps. The new Stoney Creek GO Station is going to be built right beside the bridge the goes over Centennial. (The bridge for the train tracks is being replaced this year by a new $9.5 million bridge)

...I am working on turning your GO station plan into a 3D rendering, so look for that in the next couple of days

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 10:08 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
Yeah, down by the new Smart Centre, on the south side of the QEW by confederation park. There is going to be a new GO Station built there after the one on James St gets built.

HERE IS A LINK to the location on google maps. The new Stoney Creek GO Station is going to be built right beside the bridge the goes over Centennial. (The bridge for the train tracks is being replaced this year by a new $9.5 million bridge)
Thanks for the info,

Quote:
...I am working on turning your GO station plan into a 3D rendering, so look for that in the next couple of days
Thank you very much.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you very much.
This is what I have so far...

I'll keep working on it over the next few days and post updates.

I made a few changes (moved the parking garage, condo height changes)

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 12:22 AM
Hammer'd

Great design but too bad it's at the wrong tracks. I agree that a GO station would be better at the CP tracks to the South which are closer to downtown Stoney Creek, than the CN tracks by the QEW which are surrounded by industries and the new mega-Walmart.

GO is locating the station there because the CN tracks are where the seasonal GO train service to Niagara Falls already runs. It's unfortunate the way the CP (TH&B) tracks were left. If they'd been double tracked, GO service could have been extended to Welland and Niagara Falls at a more southerly location via the TH&B station in Hamilton.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Feb 13, 2013, 2:56 AM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Quote:
This is what I have so far...

I'll keep working on it over the next few days and post updates.

I made a few changes (moved the parking garage, condo height changes)
Looks awesome. I'm no where near as good with Sketchup (plus my laptop doesn't seem to handle it too well if I go too complicated).

Old Posted Mar 2, 2013, 5:36 PM

Fake GO Station TOD Update

Quote:
Quote:

Thank you very much.
Been busy the past couple weeks, but I finally had some spare time so I added some more...

Commercial/Office Space = Green
Residential = Blue

The GO Station and parking structure are on the bottom left:

The GO station and parking structure are on the right:

I added this into the sketchup because it is actually being built (I didn't add the windows or details yet) (see 120 & 124 King St W | ? | 6fl & 2fl | Proposed for more info):

EDIT: I forgot to make the ground floor of some of the residential towers green for commercial.

Last edited by thomax; Mar 2, 2013 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 4:36 AM

I'm not entirely sure where this is but I like your creativity. Keep it up.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pEte fiSt iN Ur fAce View Post
I'm not entirely sure where this is but I like your creativity. Keep it up.
It is in Stoney Creek, in the empty field on the west side of Centennial Parkway, across from Battlefield Park.

CLICK HERE to go there in Google Street View

Old Posted Mar 3, 2013, 1:18 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Looking very nice.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 4:20 AM

Quote:
With the news of the upcoming James Baptist Church Redevelopment, I thought it would be cool to see what I can do with it in Google SketchUp just for fun.

This is what I came up with in about 30 mins, so it isn't the greatest, but I figured I'd post it anyways. (I didn't put to much detail into the church or do any proper measurements, I was just trying to see what a modern addition to the building could look like)

Source: All My Photos

(The windows on the church look closed in, but I didn't make them clear so I didn't have to put detail on the interior of the church)

And what the church currently looks like:

Source: Google Street View

I've been reading all of the articles I can find that came out last month with news of the James Baptist Church Redevelopment and have been waiting very impatiently for the plan to be released. I was imagining what a much larger redevelopment would look like and I decided to edit my Google SketchUp drawing (above) from a few weeks ago and make the project bigger (below). All of the articles I read put an emphasis on "density" and building to the property lines, as well as mentioning the project could have residential, commercial, and possibly a hotel, so maybe the project could be bigger than we think it will be...

...this is what I came up with to change my original Google SketchUp plan to be much bigger:

Source: My Photos

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 12:51 PM
It's Hammer Time

That be a tall building.

Wish the province would re-clad the Ellen Fairclough Building into glass. It would really modernize Hamilton's skyline.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 11:07 AM
Dustin William

Smile If I Was A Developer...

Our skyline isn't that tall. That's ok. We don't always need a million skyscrapers. However, I believe your tallest building should have a bit more appeal.

For the past several months I have been spending my stair time playing around in Cinema 4D creating some structures, buildings and skyscrapers that I think would be nice additions to the Hamilton skyline.

Below is a building I created that I've called "RBC Tower". Yes RBC, as in the bank. It's also half residential. The bottom floors are offices. It has a stripe of blue spanning the entire height of the tower. 57 floors, making it the tallest building in the city, and reshaping the skyline.

I've made an example of it placed in it's ideal location at Market St and Bay St N.

I've also rendered several angled views of the building.

It's a really fun hobby making these so if you have ideas or suggestions on something I can build let me know!

dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 12:47 PM
It's Hammer Time

Excellent

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:26 PM

Very cool, it looks like a much better version of Landmark Place.

Is Cinema 4D an expensive program or is there somewhere you can download it for free? I'd love to try it out.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:38 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

I like that's its very dark. Hamilton's skyline seems to be getting darker these days.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 2:59 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
Very cool, it looks like a much better version of Landmark Place.

Is Cinema 4D an expensive program or is there somewhere you can download it for free? I'd love to try it out.
Thanks! I actually didn't intend the building to look like Landmark Place, but I too noticed this as I was near finishing. It would maybe be cool to see something similar but new and fresh like this. Or it would be cool if they could re-clad Landmark Place to look similar.

Cinema 4d (by Maxon) is very expensive 3D software. They have versions for different industries. I have the Broadcast licence version at work that I use there, but you can easily find the latest version online via TPB. Surprisingly easy to use - The interface is somewhat like After Effects.
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 3:04 PM
Dustin William

Quote:
I like that's its very dark. Hamilton's skyline seems to be getting darker these days.
I like the boldness of black or dark colors in a skyline. Especially if the building isn't all glass. To have a stucco building in a typical adobe color isn't very appealing - thats too 70's and 80's apartment building. Yuck.

Think of the John Hancock and Willis tower in Chicago or TD Centre in Toronto - you notice them!
dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 8:17 PM
Dustin William

Updated render

Here is an updated rendering of the tower as it would appear built at the corner of Market and Bay St N.

dustinlabs.net

Old Posted Mar 22, 2013, 8:30 PM
It's Hammer Time

Nice. I like dark buildings, it keeps Hamilton unique. Whereas with the rest it's all glass buildings.

Put it in Canadian Proposals lol, GTA forumers will crap their pants haha. They'll be afraid banks are going elsewhere.

But anyways you should post it in the Canadian Fantasy thread, http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=197716

If you want to kill time you should think about doing future skyline of Hamilton. MeIsThomas gave it a try...

Quote:
Here's a Toronto example
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8244/8...df11dc11_b.jpg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > General Discussion