HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 5:21 PM

Wonder if the Marlies might move to Hamilton if that's the case. Although it's further, the team could probably generate more interest and boost attendance in Hamilton.

Depends if MLSE cares about making some extra $$$ in comparison to having the franchise a few blocks away from the ACC.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2010, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Wonder if the Marlies might move to Hamilton if that's the case. Although it's further, the team could probably generate more interest and boost attendance in Hamilton.

Depends if MLSE cares about making some extra $$$ in comparison to having the franchise a few blocks away from the ACC.
MLSE would probably demand control of Copps (or perhaps all of HECFI) and all the related revenues that the hockey team would generate. I don't think that they would be able to charge the same price as they currently do at Ricoh if they did move to Copps - $38 top price!! http://www.torontomarlies.com/tickets/order.asp

That being said, the Bulldogs always seem to draw their largest crowds of the year when the Marlies are in town.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnett71 View Post
MLSE would probably demand control of Copps (or perhaps all of HECFI) and all the related revenues that the hockey team would generate.
Screw that.

Unless we can get an NHL team, I don't want MLSE to come within breathing distance of Copps. They can keep their shitty Marlies.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:14 AM
Hammer'd

I doubt the Marlies would enjoy any different an attendance than the Bulldogs do currently. Nothing short of an NHL team can satisfy the Hamilton hockey market in large numbers.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I doubt the Marlies would enjoy any different an attendance than the Bulldogs do currently. Nothing short of an NHL team can satisfy the Hamilton hockey market in large numbers.
I can see them getting 1,000-2,000 more fans a game with the Marlies at Copps compared to the Bulldogs... or even the Marlies at the Ricoh Centre. But you're right, it's essentially NHL or bust for Hamilton. I just think if it happens, it'll be when the NHL has finally realized the sport won't take off in many US markets. I'm thinking close to 10 years when they learn what the rest of us already know.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 2:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Screw that.

Unless we can get an NHL team, I don't want MLSE to come within breathing distance of Copps. They can keep their shitty Marlies.
Wasn't one of the carrots that Balsillie was offering the Leafs for allowing the the Coyotes to move to Hamilton was essentially to give control of HECFI to MLSE?? Can't recall the exact details...

Agree with Berklon that the Hamilton Marlies, if it was ever to come to pass, would draw at least a couple thousand more spectators than the Bulldogs currently do.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2010, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurnett71 View Post
Wasn't one of the carrots that Balsillie was offering the Leafs for allowing the the Coyotes to move to Hamilton was essentially to give control of HECFI to MLSE?? Can't recall the exact details...
Yes, that was one of the ideas - which I would have no problem with if we were to get an NHL team. But I wouldn't give control of HECFI to MLSE just so we can get the Marlies, and I'm sure the city feels the same way.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2010, 4:10 PM
It's Hammer Time

Bulldogs owner eyes new arena in Laval

March 27, 2010
Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/Sports/article/743513

Hamilton Bulldogs' owner Michael Andlauer says he is considering building a new 7,500 seat arena complex in the Montreal suburb of Laval.

The City of Laval has called for proposals to build and operate the $93-million complex and Andlauer, a Burlington resident, confirmed that he is mulling over whether to submit a bid, either on his own or as part of a Montreal Canadiens' bid. Andlauer is also part owner of the Habs.

The Bulldogs recently signed a new three-year lease deal with Hamilton Entertainment and Convention Facilities Inc. to continue playing at Copps Coliseum. But the Laval opportunity calls into question the team's long-term future in Hamilton.

The Bulldogs lease with HECFI does contain a clause that the American Hockey League team would ultimately have to leave if an NHL team came to Hamilton.

"If we looked at it, it would be on the premise of what happens if all of a sudden another group looks to bring an NHL team to Hamilton, and I get notice (to move) in April. What are my options?" said Andlauer. "That's always going to be there, so that could be an alternative.

"It's not something I'm focusing on, though - and I haven't even responded to it."

Andlauer said the City of Laval had "reached out to him" and sent him information.

He said it wouldn't be a stretch for him to take on the project.

"I have a place in Laval," he said. "I've worked with the city, and I've worked with a builder who is based in Laval and there might be an opportunity to look at it."

Andlauer said that there would be pros and cons to having the Montreal Canadiens' farm team based in Laval.

It would give the Habs quick and easy access to their players, and it would make sense financially. On the down side, the players would be under intense scrutiny from hockey-crazy fans and the critical hockey media in Montreal.

"I think there are more Bulldogs fans in Montreal than there are in Hamilton," said Andlauer, who has been critical of both the lack of fan support and political support in Hamilton.

Statistics bear him out. The Bulldogs played two regular-season games at the Bell Centre in Montreal this year. They drew crowds of 14,702 and 15,529, the latter being the largest regular season crowd to ever watch the team play. In 34 games at Copps Coliseum this year, the team is averaging 3,731.

The question of the Bulldogs leaving simmered late last summer when Jim Balsillie was trying to buy the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes to move them to Hamilton. At the time Andlauer was entering the last year of his lease at Copps.

Andlauer said he came very, very close to moving the team to St. John's.

"They asked me to come out and meet with them," he said. "We went out to dinner and the premier of Newfoundland, the mayor of St. John's and every councillor, but one, was there. When we signed our lease renewal at Copps Coliseum, not one Hamilton politician showed up."

Laval mayor Gilles Vaillancourt said the call for proposals has an April 30 deadline. He added the city hoped to be able to start construction this fall and be opened in December, 2012. Some of the funding for the project will come from the provincial and federal governments, he said.

The complex is to have three ice surfaces, one that will seat 7,500 for hockey and can be expanded to 10,000 for concerts and cultural events, and two smaller ice surfaces with seating of less than 2,500 each.

Vaillancourt said they're not building it with the intent of luring a major hockey tenant. He said that decision would be up to the winning bidder.

Andlauer said if he does go ahead and bid it's not a certainty that the Bulldogs would end up moving there. He said the building could instead house a junior hockey club.

And Hamilton, he said, shouldn't worry about being without a hockey team.

"Hamilton is a proven AHL city," said Andlauer who thinks another NHL team would look at bringing their farm team here if the Bulldogs ever left.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 3:38 AM

Once again, this board (SteelTown) was ahead of the Spec in reporting this.

I'll be surprised if they don't move the Bulldogs to this new arena, to be honest.

I do feel like Hamilton would have a pretty decent shot at getting another AHL team though. Maybe the Sabres would move their Affiliate a little bit closer. It could help increase their fan base on this side of the border, and also begin the Toronto-Buffalo QEW rivalry in the minors.

Buffalo's current AHL affiliate is in Portland, Maine. The team just signed in extension for two more seasons. But, its possible they could move after that.

Aside from this, I think a couple of NHL teams, such as the Anaheim Ducks do not currently have an AHL affiliate.

Basically, if those in charge are proactive, they should be able to bring a new team to Copps if/when the dogs leave.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 4:38 AM

Having the Leafs or Sabres farm team playing in Hamilton would make it even tougher for this city to get an NHL team. We know they think an NHL team here would infringe on their territory, but it would also kill off their AHL ticket sales. Let's not give them another reason to stand in our way.

Unless it's to get us an NHL team, there's no reason to get in bed with either MLSE or the Sabres organization.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2010, 2:49 PM
It's Hammer Time

Within three years the Bulldogs will be long gone from Hamilton.

Hamilton won't get an NHL team from relocation it'll only happen from expansion and that won't happen for another few years.

We're probably going to get a small McMaster arena. David Braley wants McMaster to have a hockey team and is willing to donate. So perhaps an OHL team.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2010, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Within three years the Bulldogs will be long gone from Hamilton.

Hamilton won't get an NHL team from relocation it'll only happen from expansion and that won't happen for another few years.

We're probably going to get a small McMaster arena. David Braley wants McMaster to have a hockey team and is willing to donate. So perhaps an OHL team.
I can see it. McMaster Arena/ Hamilton OHL Team at the Innovation Park. But really, could a city this size really only have an OHL team?

I think Hamilton could attract another AHL team to Copps, and I'm not sure OHL would survive with the AHL so close. Maybe with the Mac/ OHL Arena in Dundas it'd work.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2010, 10:14 AM

Business cents

Dog Pound needs support
TheSpec.com - Sports - Dog Pound needs support

Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator

(Apr 13, 2010)
The Hamilton Bulldogs are doing everything in their power to buck the trend.

In the American Hockey League, when the Calder Cup playoffs open, attendance in the first round drops like a stone.

"Our league, in a lot of centres, depends on group sales," says Hamilton president Glenn Stanford. "And, as it was this year, a lot of teams don't know until the final weekend whether they're going to finish second, third or fourth, or whether they're starting at home or on the road. That obviously hurts you.

"In cities where they have a high season ticket base, places like Hershey, Wilkes-Barre, and Manitoba, they tend to do OK in the playoffs because they're not depending on a walk-up or group sales. Places that have low season tickets bases, tend to struggle."

The Bulldogs are in that latter group. So it's probably not a big surprise the attendance at the Bulldogs first playoff games at home, in the last five years they've made it to the post-season, has been between a high of 3,938 to a low of 1,981.

While the league takes a percentage of playoff ticket sales revenue, Stanford discounts the notion teams don't have the incentive to sell tickets because of that.

"What many people don't understand is that they also pay for the expenses. There is a sharing of revenue, but there's still an incentive for us to sell tickets."

While there are teams that didn't know their playoff openers until this past weekend, that certainly can't be said of the Bulldogs who were runaway leaders in the North Division and knew a few weeks ago they would be opening at home this Thursday and Saturday.

"We've attempted to get groups involved and be more aggressive in our marketing," Stanford said. "We've done a plan with our season tickets-holders and we've given them tickets to act like ambassadors for us and give them out to family and friends.

"We've also hired more sales people to do some marketing over the next week or so. We're hoping that we get at least 3,000-4,000 people for the first two games and I'd be disappointed if we didn't hit that."

Asks Stanford: "How discouraging would it be for this team, who have represented our city so well all year and had a fantastic season, to come in to the first two games and not have people there to support them?"

Tickets for the first two games are available at the Copps Coliseum box office, all Ticketmaster locations online at ticketmaster.ca or by calling 905-527-766.

Comment: They just don't get it $32.50 for a ticket, Low attendence and you raise your expences by hiring more staff to flog an over-priced product.
I have been watching the ad in the Spec for games over the last month and unlike any other ads, I never see a price for a bargain like special family packs. If it was there it was not apparent to me.
YOU NEED BUTTS IN THE BLEACHERS.......
This will sell on it's own. If you want fans entice them with a real deal.
More fans, more support, more food sales and a chance to increase concession leases if they are a cash cow for a vendor.
Big difference for the vendor with 9000 in house over 2-4000.
Put a big ad in the Spec and on radio. Special appreciation nigh come out and support OUR Calder cup contendors. $15
money wise you make the same or close at the gate with 3000 @ $32.50 or 6000 @ $15. just more people buying food and Bull dog merchandice . As well as parking and pre-game downtown revenue. Get Cottage life and honest Lawyer to host a pregame tailgate. Walts is there.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2010, 2:08 AM

Just checked out ticketmaster, they do have a 4 pack special for about $75 (works out to under $19 each). It does mean you have to buy tickets in multiples of four, but a pretty decent deal nonetheless. And actually, this price includes fees, so it may only be $15.60 each (or $62.40) if you buy in person at the box office (not sure about this, though). Spread the word.

Old Posted May 11, 2010, 3:32 AM
It's Hammer Time

Dogs polish off heat 4-0 in Game 6

May 10, 2010
By Garry McKay
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/BreakingNews/article/766956

The Hamilton Bulldogs have earned themselves another banner.

They beat the Abbotsford Heat 4-0 last night at Copps Coliseum to win the AHL’s North Division final in six games.

It advances them to the Western Conference final against either the Chicago Wolves or Texas Stars. Those two teams are deadlocked at 3 and play their seventh and deciding game Tuesday night in Chicago.

The Bulldogs will have the home-ice advantage regardless of which team they face in what will be a 2-3-2 series. That means the first two games will be at Copps regardless of which team wins Tuesday night.

If Chicago wins, the first two games will be Thursday at 7:30 p.m. and Saturday at 2 p.m. If it’s Texas, Game 1 goes Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Game 2 Sunday at 2 p.m.

Curtis Sanford, making his second straight playoff start, was rock solid in the net turning aside all 31 shots he faced for the shutout.

He kept the Bulldogs in it until they could break open a close game with three unanswered third-period goals.

The Bulldogs had a couple of good scoring chances early. Gabriel Dumont and Mike Glumac both managed to get in behind the Abbotsford defence but goaltender David Shantz stopped them both.

The Dogs kept going to the net, however, and it paid off at 18:30 when David Desharnais whacked at a rebound several times until he pushed it under Shantz into the net.

The teams battled through a scoreless second period in which Hamilton’s penalty killers had to be sharp early when they had to kill off a double minor to Dumont.

The Dogs had lots of chances to add to their lead but missed the net time after time.

They finally got some insurance at 6:14 of the third. Desharnais was trying to cut to the net but Matt Pelech slid to block him. The puck end up landing 15 feet in front of the net where Aaron Palushaj jumped on it and backhanded a shot into the top of the net.

Brock Trotter made it 3-0 with seeing-eye shot from the top of the left faceoff circle on a power play at 17:31. And Mike Glumac added the insurance into an empty net at 18:43.

Defenceman Mike Vernace, who suffered an undisclosed injury in the last game in the series in Abbotsford, took the pre-game warmup last night but was unable to play. That left the Dogs with five healthy defencemen.

Hits and Misses

Molson Cup Three Stars: 1. Curtis Sanford, Hamilton. 2. David Desharnais, Hamilton. 3. Aron Palushaj, Hamilton.

Flamboro Downs Workhorse of the Game (hardest-working Bulldog): André Benoit.

Scratches: Yannick Weber, Mike Vernace, Max Pacioretty, Eric Neilson, Mathieu Carle.

Shots on goal: Hamilton 37, Abbotsford 31.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 10:04 AM

Hello Anybody out there?

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 12:31 PM

AHL Rules for pricing for play off games.

Stating with the first play off series the ticket price will increase by $1 per ticket.
The AHL takes 52% of the gate.

That leaves the Bulldogs with 48% of the gate.

After all the discounted, group and free tickets are factored in, the average ticket price for the Bulldogs is around $14.00.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 1:14 PM

Butts in the seats.

Read the post on like page 2. Check the other teams in the league. The single point here is why is attendance down.
It is the price of a single ticket.
You want fans than take into effect that if a guy/lady wants to take the kids to the game is it affordable as an entertainment venue.
Under $11 for a two hour movie.
Please people can try and rationalize the current price but the fact of the matter is there were only around 2300 at a semi final game on a weekend.
There used to be 9000 at a St johns maple leaf game.
You want butts in the seats don't be so damn greedy or pig headed. It is all about cost and value.
$15 tickets the night of the game.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 1:46 PM

I think people would just rather stay home and watch NHL calibre playoff hockey then the AHL.

Anything less than the NHL at this point just doesn't draw much interest.

Old Posted May 19, 2010, 2:01 PM
It's Hammer Time

For the Texas Stars you can get a beer for $2 and a hotdog for $1 at the arena.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation