HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 8:31 PM
Hammer'd

I'm glad the Buffalo owners don't want a team going anywhere. I wouldn't even want it to come here. Buffalo needs their team.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted May 6, 2008, 10:36 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

He should just buy two teams.

Buy the Sabres and a struggling southern team. Move the Sabres to Hamilton to avoid paying penalties. Then move the struggling team from the south to Buffalo. Then he can pay himself relocation fees.

Either that or just buy a majority share in MLS.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
I'm glad the Buffalo owners don't want a team going anywhere. I wouldn't even want it to come here. Buffalo needs their team.
I would not like to see Buffalo lose either the Sabres or the Bills.

This Balsillie story is mostly a non-story given the completely unsurprising and perhaps almost expected nature of it. When I heard that Tom Golisano was willing to part with the team, my first thought was that Balsillie would probably give the tires a bit of a kick.

Given Jim Balsillie's persistence, there will always be an outside chance that he will purchase a team and move it to southern Ontario. Every indication has always been that the home for such a team would be Hamilton and I hope that that is indeed Jimbo's plan.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 9:07 AM
Closed account

^ '87 canada cup...good times. lemieux from gretzky...murphy used as a decoy...6-5 victory...total sweetness.

as always, the question is not whether a team would be successful here or whether there's a potential owner - the answer is yes. it's whether or not mlse will allow another team into its territory. mlse carries a great deal of clout at the commissioner's office and pretty much has veto power over such a move. the question is, under what circumstances would they allow this to transpire? can't think of one, save for them owning the team. still got my fingers crossed, though.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dude View Post
the question is, under what circumstances would they allow this to transpire?
$

Can Balsillie can convince MLSE that a team moving to Hamilton would put more money in MLSE's pockets?

MLSE has likely peaked in terms of ROI. They are maxed out in terms of ticket sales. They have branded everything. They own a stable of media. They own a successful soccer team. They're even into Toronto's lucrative condo market.

So what if Balsillie said, for example, Leafs TV can carry 20 Hamilton games a year? Maybe MLSE could handle some of the branding of the Hamilton franchise?

More than that. Create a rivalry. Play into the Argo's/Cats rivalry. Sure, the Leafs may lose a few fans (like me), but the league stands to gain a whole lot more.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 2:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

There was an idea suggesting that Balsillie might turn over Copps to MLSE if he acquires a team. Therefore MLSE would make money off sales, foods, marketing, Leafs TV, etc.

Old Posted May 7, 2008, 4:09 PM

The NHL has to realize that Balsillie won't give up until he has a team of his own, no matter where it's located or where it will eventually go.

I'd like it if he bought one of the teams from Texas or Florida or another state that hasn't received regular snowfall in the last fifty years. Let's start repatriating our franchises!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 12:58 PM

Canada deserves more teams: PA boss
Paul Kelly wants the NHL to focus more on Canada, writes Bruce Dowbiggin
Bruce Dowbiggin, Canwest News Service
Published: Sunday, June 01, 2008

Source: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/...f52f2ef5b2&p=2

Quote:
Paul Kelly, the Boston lawyer who's now the executive director of the NHL Players' Association, believes that Canada should have at least one -- and perhaps more -- NHL franchises if the league relocates a team or expands.

"I think it would be a huge error not to relocate one of the existing franchises to Hamilton or Winnipeg," Kelly told the Toronto Star when asked about where failing U.S. franchises might move. Kelly then pointed out that it's folly for the league to blackball RIM billionaire Jim Balsillie, who wants to bring another team to southern Ontario. "He built his company from nothing into an $80-billion company. We would be foolhardy not to see his efforts happen."

(Kelly subsequently told Canwest News Service by e-mail that this is an issue he will be pursuing, and that getting teams to Canadian markets where they can be more profitable is in the NHLPA's interest.)

The impetus for Kelly's remarks about Balsillie is a couple of stories in the past few days. First, the Star produced an internal NHL financial document that supports our contention that the rise in the Canadian dollar and the performance of Canadian teams is obscuring major problems elsewhere in the league -- problems not solved by the draconian lockout.

Quote:
That brings us back to the purported unsuitability of Balsillie. The American leader of the NHLPA wants the BlackBerry Guy to add more Canadian content to the NHL. Wayne Gretzky has added his voice, saying Hamilton is a bonafide market. But so far, the Canadian voices in the ownership are silent. It's self evident that hockey is Canada's game and passion. Southern Ontario -- at the very minimum -- should have a team.

But who will bring that message to NHL headquarters in Manhattan, where Bettman seems more concerned with rescuing the deadbeats he brought into the league than bringing real money, energy and hockey passion to the sport?

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 1:11 PM
Closed account

that's nice to hear.

hamilton, winnipeg and quebec - it's so bloody simple it hurts...damn i miss the nordiques.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 6:50 PM
Closed account

Bettman is a friggin idiot....I hope the NHL goes out of business entirely. Anyone watching any of this Stanley Cup??? horrible. It's like a non-contact girls/Euro league. You used to have to battle to win the Cup...now it's a sissy US game with no passion and no battling required (none allowed actually!).
Screw Bettman!

Old Posted Jun 1, 2008, 6:51 PM

I say remove the SoCal, Texas, Arizona, and Florida teams, and any other teams that are in locations without regular snowfall, and move them to the northern US and Canada--places that will actually appreciate more teams and stimulate competition between them.

The only problem I can see with southern Ontario getting a team is that the OHL might suffer, especially in Waterloo Region. Why go to a Kitchener Rangers game when you can go a bit farther and get an NHL game? Even so, might drive a bit more competition between the two leagues to attract spectators.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:33 AM
It's Hammer Time

This upcoming NHL off season should be an interesting time, might be the best chance for Balsillie to aquire a team.

NHL teams courting RIM's Balsillie
Theresa Tedesco, Chief Business Correspondent, National Post
Published: Tuesday, June 03, 2008

As many as eight National Hockey League teams have been in discussions or made overtures to Jim Balsillie in recent months about a possible sale or minority partnership with the Canadian billionaire, sources say.

A struggling U.S. economy, strong Canadian dollar and weak hockey markets south of the border have combined to make the deep pockets of the 47-year-old co-founder of the BlackBerry device too irresistible to some NHL owners, despite Mr. Balsillie's tempestuous relations with the league's head office in New York.

Since last December, Mr. Balsillie, who has an estimated net worth of US$1.6-billion according to Forbes magazine, has both received and initiated approaches with the owners of NHL clubs, according to sources familiar with the discussions.

Mr. Balsillie, the co-chief executive of Research in Motion Ltd., declined to comment on Tuesday.

However Richard Rodier, a special advisor to the Canadian billionaire, confirmed there have been discussions with current NHL owners, although he refused to identify the teams.

"Our experience has been that there is certainly no shortage of owners who want to sell their team right now but we have to be very careful about the market," he said. "If the team were doing well financially in the applicable market, one can assume the owner would have no interest in selling it."

Of the eight ownership groups who engaged in talks and negotiations with Mr. Balsillie, several represent NHL teams in the southern United States, including the Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Dallas Stars. An offer was tabled by Mr. Balsillie for the Buffalo Sabres last December but was scuttled when he insisted on moving the team to Southwestern Ontario.

Other discussions involved partners in groups that own teams, for example, the Edmonton Oilers, where one of the 34 partners had expressed an interest in selling his stake to Mr. Balsillie.

In any event, Mr. Balsillie, a fiercely patriotic hockey fan, has said he is not interested in owning an existing Canadian team. Nor does he want to move a franchise from one Canadian city to another.

According to insiders, the Waterloo, Ont.-based businessman maintains a firm desire to relocate a team from the United States to Canada, most likely to Hamilton, Ont., and refuses to accept conditions that include a prohibition from moving a team that is struggling in its current market.

Bill Daly, deputy commissioner of the NHL, confirmed Tuesday the league is "aware" that "contacts" have been made between Mr. Balsillie and some team owners.

"To the extent that there are those kinds of communications, I am not necessarily surprised," he said. "Whenever you're dealing with businessmen in these types of situations, you are looking at your options all the time. I don't think there's an abnormality in those types of contacts from time to time."

Wayne McDonnell, a clinical assistant professor of sports management at New York University, says a slowdown in the U.S. economy is creating a "buyer's market" in the 30-team league.

"We are in for some tough economic times and if you're buying a hockey franchise, you're likely going to get a discount," he explained. "Owners are looking at a quick opportunity to sell a franchise for more than they paid for it, especially because there are some very weak U.S. markets the NHL calls home."

Prof. McDonnell, who worked as a financial analyst and accountant at Madison Square Garden and Radio City Music Hall in New York, said there are "always going to be owners who shop their teams because the NHL over-expanded into markets they quite frankly don't belong in, especially in the U.S."

For example, Prof. McDonnell is skeptical of the league's move into such "interesting and unchartered" cities as Nashville and Columbus, where he says the vast majority of the community is employed by Ohio State, which supports football and basketball.

"I look at them, I shake my head and ask, ‘are they valuable, fruitful markets for the NHL?' "

In the end, Prof. McDonnell says, "Hockey is a tertiary sport in the U.S.," adding, "I think the NHL's lifeblood is Canada or more into the international markets than it is in the U.S."

In December, 2006, Mr. Balsillie withdrew his US$175-million offer to purchase the money-losing Pittsburgh Penguins after the NHL tried to impose a series of conditions on the sale of the team, including a clause that would have prevented Mr. Balsillie from relocating the Penguins for at least seven years.

Last year, his attempt to purchase the financially-crippled Nashville Predators for US$238-million ended in similar failure after the league refused to consider Mr. Balsillie's request for a consent to move the team at the same time the board of governors voted to approve his ownership.

Canada's federal Competition Bureau investigated the NHL's relocation practices and policies on ownership transfers last year. The anti-trust watchdog ruled on March 30 that the NHL's policies are not anti-competitive.

National Post

Last edited by SteelTown; Jun 4, 2008 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Since last December, Mr. Balsillie, who has an estimated net worth of US$1.6-billion according to Forbes magazine, has both received and initiated approaches with the owners of NHL clubs, according to sources familiar with the discussions.
Nice article, but the market value of Jim Balsillie's RIM stake is currently in the $3.5 billion to $4 billion range.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 1:05 PM

^Agree with you BCTed, $1.6B seemed to be a little low to me as well.

I like it when I'm right!! My post from April: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...=140228&page=2

If the economy in the US is really as bad as recent reports and a recession is imminent (if not already present), I would say there may be a few NHL teams in financial difficulties. That would mean some US teams are going to go on the auction block, or face closing down.

Think about it, if you can’t get a network TV contract, sell out games and make money in good times, how are things going to be in bad times. Hockey is really a fringe sport in many US markets (much of the US) and after 20+ years (some would say 30+) of trying to gain traction is not even near critical mass and acceptance in the public’s attention.

Perhaps the economy will finally force the NHL’s hand. Here's hoping.......

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 1:36 PM

"...several represent NHL teams in the southern United States, including the Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Dallas Stars".

Pretty sad when 3 of those teams have won a cup in the last 8 seasons and they're looking to sell.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
"...several represent NHL teams in the southern United States, including the Atlanta Thrashers, Carolina Hurricanes, Tampa Bay Lightning and Dallas Stars".

Pretty sad when 3 of those teams have won a cup in the last 8 seasons and they're looking to sell.
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Dallas and Tampa Bay draw well (both are in the top half of the league in attendance).

I think Atlanta is definitely a candidate, as is Florida and Phoenix.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoote View Post
Hmmm, I'm not sure about that. Dallas and Tampa Bay draw well (both are in the top half of the league in attendance).
I noticed that as well, but they're looking to sell... so they must not be making much money in any case. We have to remember, just because they're selling out or have good attendance doesn't mean they're generating a lot of revenue from ticket sales. Ticket prices might be pretty cheap in order to draw in the crowds. Plus their local TV might not be generating much revenue (nevermind the fact that their cut from the embarrassing national TV contract is a joke).

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:43 PM
Closed account

I'd love to lose 15 teams overnight. Move a few to Hamilton, Winnipeg and Quebec and let hockey get back to being a real sport again.
Not this sissy version they're playing these days.
I'm glad CBC's ratings are down...I haven't watched, and I won't. The NHL sucks.
Having said that, bring on a team to the Hammer!! haha. It would be awesome for downtown.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I noticed that as well, but they're looking to sell... so they must not be making much money in any case. We have to remember, just because they're selling out or have good attendance doesn't mean they're generating a lot of revenue from ticket sales. Ticket prices might be pretty cheap in order to draw in the crowds. Plus their local TV might not be generating much revenue (nevermind the fact that their cut from the embarrassing national TV contract is a joke).
The NHL will always be a gate driven league in the U.S., but you may be right about the correlation between ticket sales and revenue. Look at this:

http://www3.thestar.com/static/PDF/0...ts_revenue.pdf

Interesting stuff.

Dallas's season ticket sales fell by 4000 since 2001. Still at 12,500, but that's cause for alarm.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2008, 2:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

According to the news Balsillie did take a serious look at Phoenix but much like Nashville the team is hooked for the arena for a certain period of time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation