HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
I honestly don't think that's the reason. I lived on John at the time of the park opening, before anyone was using it as a campground and it was just a bland and bad design with no interesting features. It was immediately cold and uninviting. Other places that the homeless have set up camp like Central Park, and Gage, and where interesting figures regularly hang out like Gore and Victoria are all inviting, special places to spend time, read a book, meet a friend, or throw the frisbee. John/Rebecca park is just none of that. It feels like between nowhere and nowhere, and it has the design of an airport, forgettable and utilitarian.

It doesn't even have a good name. It exists solely because a dude wanted a park there or he wouldn't donate money toward it, and the city rushed and had idiot citizens design the park.
oh, don't get me wrong, I totally agree. It looks like the surface of the moon, and I have no clue why they thought that would be a good idea for a park. But the people that hang out there definitely do not help the situation. Just take a look at the google maps streetview of it.

I just hope the condo that's going in across the street makes the park less appealing to that particular group, and it gets cleaned up a bit.

Old Posted May 15, 2022, 4:37 PM

I’m pretty sure the park was built in anticipation of the thousands of new residents within a couple of blocks over the next several years. There is a small skating rink there and lots of biking through ways. Kids enjoy climbing and small hills are there with eventual shade in the years to come. Gore park is a block away if you need fountains. It’s hardly award-winning but it’s not a parking lot. I’m sure it will be due for a makeover in 10 years.

Old Posted May 22, 2022, 3:40 PM

Taken on the 20th of May, 2022

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton