HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 1:40 PM

I think you're seeing the ART tower. It's really prominent from 405.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 3:51 PM

If you look up Flanders Street Crossing (sorry I'm on my phone, can't post a link) Oregon Live has an article about that new ped bridge with a great shot of the Art Tower in background.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2021, 6:43 PM

I've no idea what's happening with the Press Blocks Tower... but the Canvas at the Press Blocks office building is now complete and I can highly recommend Migration on the rooftop (if you can find a seat).

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 6:34 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
Sort of surprised there hasn’t been any discussion or photos on this one. I take the 405 a couple times a month and this one looks large and quite nice while southbound off the Fremont.
Wait, which building are you talking about because this one hasn't even started demo of the old Oregonian warehouse that is on this block. Are you referring to the Arts Tower that should be a full height by now?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 8:01 AM
Registered Ugly

Sorry - wrong thread. Yep, my bad. ART Tower it is…

Old Posted Jun 13, 2021, 9:16 AM

Duplicate post

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 3:34 PM

Looks like the 24-story won't be happening anytime soon...
https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R246773

Quote:
Scope of project has changed from full block & half block to only doing half block. TH0465 is for the half block only. TH0938 is the second phase. Project will resume at an undetermined date. (EP325 has been issued.)

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 5:33 PM

To be clear though, that's just the Public Works Permit for sidewalks etc. They need to close that out for the half block office, and even if the tower started tomorrow it would be years before the sidewalks for the full block were completed.

I'm not saying the full block will move ahead—there's plenty reason to believe it won't, after this long of a wait—but they're clearly keeping the option to move ahead open.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 9:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
To be clear though, that's just the Public Works Permit for sidewalks etc. They need to close that out for the half block office, and even if the tower started tomorrow it would be years before the sidewalks for the full block were completed.

I'm not saying the full block will move ahead—there's plenty reason to believe it won't, after this long of a wait—but they're clearly keeping the option to move ahead open.
How long does the design approval last for the 24 story? I could be mistaken, but wasnt it in 2017? If so, i'm curious what the cutoffs are. It seems at this point, they'd need to go through design hearings again..

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 11:29 PM

Normally three years, but last year City Council made a temporary change to the code that extends the life of approvals until January 1st, 2024, for any project approved between March 8th, 2017 and January 1st, 2021. The Press Blocks received final approval May 4th, 2017.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2021, 5:18 PM

I certainly appreciate your wealth of knowledge and insights - Thanks much!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 9:07 PM

Recently noticed the mechanical (HVAC) permit for the new residential tower was re-activated a few weeks ago: https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...did/?p=R246773

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 9:58 PM

It looks like someone is trying to keep the permit alive, but unless there are updates to the drawings "Corrections Received" it's not getting any closer to issuance.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2022, 10:41 PM

Quote:
It looks like someone is trying to keep the permit alive, but unless there are updates to the drawings "Corrections Received" it's not getting any closer to issuance.
I'm guessing the hope to keep it alive is to avoid the inclusionary rules that came after design approval. How long can a permit like this stay alive? Surely they can't extend it forever.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2022, 12:29 AM

They have until January 2024 to break ground. After that, their design review approval (and with it, pre-IZ vesting) expires.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Normally three years, but last year City Council made a temporary change to the code that extends the life of approvals until January 1st, 2024, for any project approved between March 8th, 2017 and January 1st, 2021. The Press Blocks received final approval May 4th, 2017.
^^^ this is still true, but BDS recently announced that projects submitted under the 2014 building code need to achieved "Approved to Issue" status by October 1, 2022. This would affect the Press Blocks, which was submitted for permit in 2017.

I previously noted that while the permit was being kept alive, it didn't look like it was getting any closer to issuance:

Quote:
However... I now see "Corrections Received" on the foundation permit, dated 3/18/22.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 5:52 PM

Quote:
^^^ this is still true, but BDS recently announced that projects submitted under the 2014 building code need to achieved "Approved to Issue" status by October 1, 2022. This would affect the Press Blocks, which was submitted for permit in 2017.

I previously noted that while the permit was being kept alive, it didn't look like it was getting any closer to issuance:

However... I now see "Corrections Received" on the foundation permit, dated 3/18/22.
Sweet! Good find! This will really elevate the new neighborhood if it finally goes up.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2022, 6:14 PM

This project is still a great opportunity for the developer. It's pre-IZ, and a shortage of new units proposed during COVID will help them exceed whatever rents they projected back in 2016 and 2017. They might not break ground for a couple of years, but they're not going to let all of their architectural and entitlement spend go to waste.

Old Posted May 13, 2022, 10:45 PM

"Corrections Received" 5/9

Old Posted Jun 14, 2022, 2:21 PM

Looks like there is a building permit review as of 6/9/22

https://www.portlandmaps.com/detail/...T/R246773_did/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland