HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:47 AM
It's a nickname from work

I think we're underestimating the amount of vehicles a farmer would have 120 years ago. Or the size. He probably wouldn't even have a tractor that didn't have 4 hooves.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 1:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShavedParmesanCheese View Post
I think we're underestimating the amount of vehicles a farmer would have 120 years ago. Or the size. He probably wouldn't even have a tractor that didn't have 4 hooves.
Sure. But did they expect that the town centre would be built such that any and all vehicles from their collection could go through town?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2021, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Sure. But did they expect that the town centre would be built such that any and all vehicles from their collection could go through town?
Did you guys read the article I posted. It had more to do with land claims. Main roads were 2 chains wide. But also turning a team of horse take up way more room than a car or tractor.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 3:38 PM
Riki beach

Rimouski founded July 7, 1696 will turn 325 in 3 weeks.

https://soper-rimouski.ca/

Birthday presents:

https://www.facebook.com/OmegaCondosUrbains/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2021, 12:58 PM
Riki beach

Sainte-Luce

Old Posted Sep 7, 2021, 11:15 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:49 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binour View Post
Très intéressant. Merci d'avoir partagé.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 2:50 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
Sainte-Luce
Looks like most of it is only a few feet above river/sea level. Is that on the fleuve st. laurent?

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 4:27 PM
recession proof

On my recent trip to Windsor and back through small towns, I really liked Blenheim and Ridgetown. Great beach at Colchester. Two weeks ago I went up to Barry's Bay and back via a very isolated interesting route that took my through Farraday - epic driving road. I liked Haliburton, Bancroft, Coe Hill and Hastings the best of all the towns I drove through: Minden, Haliburton, Wilberforce, Maynooth, Combermere, Musclow, Bancroft, Havelock, Norwood, Hastings, Keene, Baileboro etc. Overall I prefer this side of Ontario - more isolated, less GTA people, cheaper housing, more scenic and just incredible driving roads. So now I'm torn - move to Windsor/Sarnia area for the better weather and access to Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee or Ottawa/Cornwall/Perth area for a rugged Canadian winter and access to Montreal, Pennsylvania, Virginia etc.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:06 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Tobermory Ontario
It's been a few years, but Tobermory is one of my favourite day trips. I'll often combine that with a drive along the southern shore of Georgian Bay or down the Lake Huron coast as far as Goderich.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:25 PM
Fake News

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 5:46 PM
The Vomit Bag.

cool shots. It must be 25 years since I last went through Drumheller.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 6:46 PM
ハルウララ

Tobermory's a tourist trap at this stage. Faux-pirate decor everywhere. Yuck.

There's been a lot of chatter recently about the gentrification of smaller resort towns shifting to service wealthier visitors from larger cities. It's probably worth its own thread, but a place like Wellington falls into that category more than Tobermory.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 6:53 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Tobermory's a tourist trap at this stage. Faux-pirate decor everywhere. Yuck.

There's been a lot of chatter recently about the gentrification of smaller resort towns shifting to service wealthier visitors from larger cities. It's probably worth its own thread, but Wellington falls into that category more than Tobermory.
It is. I don't usually spend much time in the town itself -- I might visit the trading post and walk around the harbour, grab a coffee, but that's it. Next visit I'll probably be with my wife and we'd likely do the tourist thing and have a bite to eat too.

For me it's the scenery. The lighthouse on the point across Big Tub Harbour, trails and lookout tower at Fathom Five park, and stops along the route there (Dunks Bay, Singing Sands, Bruce national park). It's also neat to drive some of the residential roads that meander along the Lake Huron shore. There are some on the Georgian Bay side too but I don't think I've gone down them yet.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2021, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
On my recent trip to Windsor and back through small towns, I really liked Blenheim and Ridgetown. Great beach at Colchester. Two weeks ago I went up to Barry's Bay and back via a very isolated interesting route that took my through Farraday - epic driving road. I liked Haliburton, Bancroft, Coe Hill and Hastings the best of all the towns I drove through: Minden, Haliburton, Wilberforce, Maynooth, Combermere, Musclow, Bancroft, Havelock, Norwood, Hastings, Keene, Baileboro etc. Overall I prefer this side of Ontario - more isolated, less GTA people, cheaper housing, more scenic and just incredible driving roads. So now I'm torn - move to Windsor/Sarnia area for the better weather and access to Ohio/Kentucky/Tennessee or Ottawa/Cornwall/Perth area for a rugged Canadian winter and access to Montreal, Pennsylvania, Virginia etc.
My BF and I have a house in Colchester one block from the main beach and marina. It’s a great, quiet little spot in the heart of our local wine region, quite the change from my DT Windsor condo!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:03 PM

Who has driven through Beeton in Simcoe County before? I was really surprised. Everyone anywhere near the GTA has heard of Alliston before, which has the Honda plant, but I don't think many people know of neighbouring Tottenham and Beeton.

Beeton's Main St. is small, but it was cool driving through. Some interesting heritage architecture.

I then hooked a left on Centre St. and was the housing stock was quite interesting. Mature neighbourhoods are always going to have an interesting mix, but for such a small and unknown place, it was fascinating to see the eclectic mix that did not include oddities like Hamilton Beach houses/cottages. Urbandreamer would be interested in this. And a nice canopy of trees, which doesn't really show on the google maps links below. In general, it was one of those things where pics or maps can't portray that vibe you feel when being there in person.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0775...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0789...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0789...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0798...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0811...2!8i6656?hl=en

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.0825...2!8i6656?hl=en

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It's been a few years, but Tobermory is one of my favourite day trips. I'll often combine that with a drive along the southern shore of Georgian Bay or down the Lake Huron coast as far as Goderich.
I wasn't familiar with Tobermory but it certainly looks pretty. I don't know why they lean so hard into the tacky pirate crap, though.

That said, at 3.5 hours each way from the GTHA, it sure is one long day trip!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 3:23 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wasn't familiar with Tobermory but it certainly looks pretty. I don't know why they lean so hard into the tacky pirate crap, though.

That said, at 3.5 hours each way from the GTHA, it sure is one long day trip!
Definitely have to love driving, and make a whole day of it.

Much of the drive is very scenic once you get north of the larger cities, no matter what route you take. Farms on gently rolling hills, escarpment country, Huron's relatively flat coast or the more rugged one along Georgian Bay where the Niagara Escarpment is close to the shore.

Ironically the least scenic section is the 40 or 50 km closest to Tobermory, which feels more like the thickly wooded parts of northern Ontario than anywhere in southwestern ON... not that it's ugly, just lots of this: https://goo.gl/maps/mXzHHVJVqwK25UpB6

Old Posted Sep 9, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

LOL, I'm going up there for 5 days starting next Saturday so I was looking a pictures because I'm excited. I'n not going to lie, I kind of like tacky tourist stuff so when I saw that restaurant with the very cheap all you can eat Fish N Chips I had to look into it.

The restaurants full name is Shipwreck Lee's Pirate Bistro. We pan on going after a hike one day now. I'm just hoping the water is warm enough to swim in because I plan on bringing my inflatable and floating in the Groto with some beers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada