HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 8:05 AM

Marion (Arkansas) Near Downtown Memphis But Retains Its Small-Town Identity
By Don Wade/ Memphis Daily News

Quote:
Growth, he says, came in a wave before the recession – stagnated – and then took off again. In 2016, says Demster, capital investment in Marion was between $30 million and $40 million with around 300 new jobs... When Hino Motors Manufacturing USA Inc. completed its Marion plant in 2005 that was something of a game-changer. A subsidiary of Toyota, the firm has grown and has around 650 employees, Demster says. “And it keeps on going,” he said. “I know they added another shift and closed a plant in California.” Union Pacific operates an approximately 600-acre intermodal yard in Marion and TTX Co. refurbishes rail cars that carry containers from the intermodal yard. “That’s going to draw more secondary business,” Demster said. And then there is the new $7 million agribusiness research facility Bayer is opening. “They haven’t had the ribbon-cutting yet,” said Demster. “But it’s first-class. We’re hoping that it will draw Ph.D.-level researchers.”
https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...town-identity/

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Dec 11, 2016 at 5:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 8:09 AM

Council Approves Two Downtown Hotels, Sets Vote on Dairy Expansion
By Bill Dries/ Memphis Daily News

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/new...iry-expansion/

rendering (jvdenterprises.com)

Old Posted Dec 11, 2016, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post

Neon rooster to wake up Downtown skyline
Michelle Corbet, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...n-skyline.html

MBJ
That's awesome, I love old school like that, reminds me of the Memphis Business Journal one on top of the Peabody but my favorite is the old Western Auto one in KC.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
That's awesome, I love old school like that, reminds me of the Memphis Business Journal...
88 Union Center now displays "Lokion" instead of MBJ.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 4:03 PM

Interesting piece on mega-regions. I've had some interest in the maps that show Memphis as a far west node in the Piedmont-Atlantic mega-region, but here is a different take that shows Memphis' large presence as a provincial capital in a smaller dual-core region with Little Rock, AR.

Here Are the Real Boundaries of American Metropolises, Decided by an Algorithm
By Sarah Laskow/ Atlas Obscura

Quote:
These larger urban areas are sometimes called “megaregions,” and in a new paper, published in PLOS ONE, Garrett Dash Nelson, a historical geographer from Dartmouth, and Alasdair Rae, an urban analyst from the University of Sheffield, teamed up to identify them across the United States, using commuting data and a computational algorithm.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...y-an-algorithm

map image NELSON ET AL (2016)

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Interesting piece on mega-regions. I've had some interest in the maps that show Memphis as a far west node in the Piedmont-Atlantic mega-region, but here is a different take that shows Memphis' large presence as a provincial capital in a smaller dual-core region with Little Rock, AR.

Here Are the Real Boundaries of American Metropolises, Decided by an Algorithm
By Sarah Laskow/ Atlas Obscura

http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...y-an-algorithm

map image NELSON ET AL (2016)

That's an interesting map and concept. Memphis has never seemed to fit in economically or culturally with a lot of the southeast (nor our own state). I've always thought it and West TN more in line with North Mississippi and Eastern Arkansas in that regard. Which often makes job and population growth harder with 3 states with different interests in our own metro area.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 7:47 PM

The mega regions map is interesting. Memphis is the center of a largely economically barren tri-state area. Mississippi is developing very nicely, but Eastern Arkansas is behind. People who aren't from this area are always surprised that there is mostly farm land right across the bridge from Memphis.

Culturally, I think Memphis identifies more with Mississippi than Tennessee or Arkansas.

It would be cool if Little Rock was closer to Memphis. Then the area could be like the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWestMemphis View Post
Mississippi is developing very nicely, but Eastern Arkansas is behind. People who aren't from this area are always surprised that there is mostly farm land right across the bridge from Memphis.
There's been some advances on the Arkansas side (see the link for the Marion article above for example). Also, the Interstate Highway infrastructure is coming along including the 40/55 junction, bolstered I-555 route and the state of Arkansas' largest economic development ever with the Big River Steel Mill. The opposite bank from downtown will always be a river flood plain, premium farmland. You can't build anything significant until you get to higher ground.

Quote:
It would be cool if Little Rock was closer to Memphis. Then the area could be like the twin cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
In smaller resolution than "mega-region", Memphis itself, actually does function like a "twin-city" between Downtown & East Memphis.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2016, 9:44 PM

In smaller resolution than "mega-region", Memphis itself, actually does function like a "twin-city" between Downtown & East Memphis.[/QUOTE]

True, I don't think most people that are not familiar with Memphis that comment on the skyline not being as big or new as they expected realize we have two skyscrapers in the middle of East Memphis and more high rises farther out down Poplar. Since before my time that's been where most office activity has been-- if anyone has ever been in Shelby Farms driving towards Walnut Grove from the north you can see the cluster from I.P to Clark Tower with Hilton and others in between from a certain angle that looks like a mini skyline (granted-- they are not as close together to make as much of a dense impact but still a nice cluster).

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 1:26 AM

Quote:
There's been some advances on the Arkansas side (see the link for the Marion article above for example). Also, the Interstate Highway infrastructure is coming along including the 40/55 junction, bolstered I-555 route and the state of Arkansas' largest economic development ever with the Big River Steel Mill. The opposite bank from downtown will always be a river flood plain, premium farmland. You can't build anything significant until you get to higher ground.
Yeah, I know that the fields across from Memphis can't be built on. I was saying that out of towners would probably be surprised by that because they don't know the area.

I live in West Memphis and work in Marion. I will say that the WM/Marion area may be making progress on paper, but most citizens in Crittenden County aren't seeing that progress. Our population has been dropping, we have very little retail, and renting prices are too high for the area. We have been successful in building new hotels, but we only build them so that visitors can stay here for a cheaper price and spend money in Memphis. Now, Memphis is a great asset to WM/Marion, but it's still in another state. Spending nearly ALL of our money in Memphis doesn't really help Arkansas. We're so far behind, it's ridiculous. Just 37 years ago, Southaven didn't exist as we know it today, but in that time frame, look what they were able to accomplish. However, I know that the delta is one of the poorest regions in Arkansas, and that makes economic growth difficult.

I'm proud of any progress that the Memphis Metro makes, but I don't think most people know how WM/Marion really is because we're not mentioned as much as Cordova and Germantown. But, like I said, I know that growth is difficult for this part of Arkansas.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 5:36 AM

Quote:
I'm proud of any progress that the Memphis Metro makes, but I don't think most people know how WM/Marion really is because we're not mentioned as much as Cordova and Germantown. But, like I said, I know that growth is difficult for this part of Arkansas.
Believe me, I get it. Population growth & retail services will continue to be anemic like some of the other trouble areas around Greater Memphis. I guess my point is in the long term. I see the precursor of industrial assets & infrastructure coming into place with the possibility of 1 or 2 multimodal bridges to compliment the new intermodal yard & expanding river port. Not to mention Eastern Arkansas adding Interstate 555 to the north connecting one of the region's 3 largest satellite city-metros, Jonesboro. Eventually, Interstate 69 to the south. Other indicators like expanding Mid-South Community College & ASU facilities, new Baptist Memorial Hospital, growth of bedroom communities like Marion, etc. point to the Arkansas side of the metro getting back in the game, slowly. Heck, it's nice to see Southland Park doing well these days. They need to build a hotel tower like last year.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2016, 2:20 PM

All these comments about the Arkansas side is why I ramble on about the need for two new bridges.

With the nearing completion of the I-269 loop is showing the second time Memphis has been looped with an interstate system without the inclusion of Arkansas with the first being I-240. New bridges connecting I-55/I-555 with the Millington I-269/Future I-69 junction and a new bridge near Tunica connecting with the I-69 segment there that would basically run up the Arkansas side to the intermodal industrial area between I-40 and US 64 would offer a complete loop of Memphis and allow freer movement of goods.

Arkansas government also has lacked the ability to offer the same incentives as Tenn and Miss in attracting large scale projects. Things are getting better on that front but we missed the last big ar plant/industrial wave.

West Memphis has also squandered valuable real estate to less than stellar development.

If there was a place that screamed major outlet mall/retail/other it was the land where all the truck stops sitting as I-40/I-55 split for the bridge approaches.

I have often theorized that Arkansas should built up Islands within the levee between the two bridges. Extremely expensive it would be but would give lots of opportunity to grow residential, office/mixed use, and recreational/tourism ideas. I suppose a small scale example of this would how they built up land for the new weigh stations. You create the islands the same way and with the dirt removed you create a series of lakes to make up for the displacement issues during high water. You stabilize them the same way the COE does the banks with the concrete tiles.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 9:24 PM

Glad to see Ikea is up and running. There were plenty of "It-city" folks on social media who weren't too excited about that.

Memphis will continue to rise

Old Posted Dec 16, 2016, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Glad to see Ikea is up and running. There were plenty of "It-city" folks on social media who weren't too excited about that.

Memphis will continue to rise
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=85409903065

lol

Can't believe it was that intense on this one thread.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 10:48 AM

true, the map is interesting, but i look at several areas, and there just seems to be a disconnect and the feeling that an argument for such region identification would not stand serious challenges. in addition, regarding the development progress in eastern arkansas, i lay the fault at the feet of legislatures and local governments. as pointed out, fairly impressive progress has been made, during the past few years. the plant that makes cleaning products, and the aforementioned billion dollar+ steel plant, and the nucor project, the immense improvements in the greyhound facilities are nothing of which to be dismissive. i hope a north bridge over the mississippi will come to fruition, which will bring bville and jonesboro into a significant nexus to the memphis metro, and, in addition, the same is true for oxford, ms. jackson-humboldt, tn is another area that really fall into the region, especially, if haslam could get something done for memphis.

btw, i was glad to see the dominicker rooster sign left atop the distillery. i wrote my opinion and why it was a good piece of artwork, and branding of that area of the city. it definitely puts a landmark for all to see, it is fabulously attractive, and, no doubt, it will become iconic. also, glad to see service master get approval for digital runner. anyone know what will be done w/ the walking bridge leading from the building? could that be reassembled at overton square or integrated over danny thomas blvd, where the new alsac data center is being constructed?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 4:23 AM

Ikea went ahead and moved into Memphis instead of waiting for "the" spot in Nashville. Once you get off of the immediate size of the metro areas, Memphis has a larger catchment area especially at a 4 hr drive. It is much the same reason I mention Norweigian's dropping Memphis as a possibility for TATL service. It's about spacing. Nashville had Ikeas in Atlanta on it's southern flank that eats at Chattanooga, On the east, there's Charlotte eating at it's eastern flank of Knoxville and Tri Cities and Cincy to the North that takes away Louisville and Kentucky, Now there's Memphis to the west. Nashville basically will have to support an Ikea without much help of other MSAs outside of the immediate area.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 3:40 AM

NASCAR returns to Memphis
Meagan Nichols, Reporter/ Memphis Business Journal

Quote:
NASCAR announced it will return to the Memphis International Raceway (MIR) after a several-year lull. The racing organization returns with the NASCAR K&N Pro Series East event, Saturday, June 3, 2017... MIR includes a road course, drag strip and NASCAR three-fourth-mile paved tri-oval. A few small renovations and safety upgrades are planned for MIR to prepare for the MASCAR K&N Series.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...o-memphis.html

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 1:57 PM

Quote:
NASCAR returns to Memphis

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...o-memphis.html

This is not regaining the Busch/Xfinity series race but a lowere lower on the hierarchy. It is a start. Nascar seems to have this fixation with the two top series being a combo due to the fact that many drivers race in both and even own teams. I believe Nascar has made a mistake consolidating the series so much. Heck it is happenin with the truck series too as all three will be together on the same weekend at the same track. I think it's Hurting them as they remove thems elves from many market. It would be nice to see Memphis gain the Junior series and a Truck Series race but that track wasn't made for the top series though it would be fun to see a 3/4 mIle track.

Now, here's where the lost opportunities laments kick in, imagine if they had spent the money to pave the old 11/4 mile high bank oval over in West Memphis. One of the first "super speedways." That track would have been one of the old Granddaddy tracks possibly hosting two events a year along with a host of other ones. Sigh, lost opportunities. I look over to it every time I pass on I-40.

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Dec 20, 2016 at 2:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 11:15 PM

Fred's to become third-largest drug store chain in country

Quote:
Fred’s Pharmacy (NASDAQ: FRED) will acquire 865 Rite Aid stores as part of a $950 million cash deal with Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc. (NASDAQ: WBA) and Rite Aid Corp. (NYSE: RAD). The stores will be located across parts of the eastern and western U.S.
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-chain-in.html

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Fred's to become third-largest drug store chain in country

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...-chain-in.html
They only operate 600ish stores now squire 800+ more they are more than doubling in size, no wonder they are looking for a new headquarters. I hope a new office building will be it

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations