HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:26 PM

Thanks, guys.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 6:33 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
Sorry to hijack the thread, but will the 100 North Main renovation touch on the exterior ?
Not hijacking at all. We need to get away from he previous discussion, IMO. 100 N Main is a solid project that will have a solid impact on the north end of downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Warren View Post
Not really since it applied for historic funding.
It depends. It will have to comply with the Historic Design Guidelines for Memphis as well as the Downtown Design Guidelines as they apply at the street level, so the original entrance and bottom levels will stay consistent with those Guidelines. From the last conversation that I had when I was still in Memphis about this back in the summer of 2013, the revolving restaurant was one of the only elements that the developers (at that time) would be eligible to receive Federal Tax Incentives for, therefore it would have to remain as is. 100 N Main doesn't have anything necessarily special about it other than the restaurant.

This all could have changed since then, but that's what I was told when I asked about it at work. Basically to sum it up, I don't think 100 N Main as itself is really eligible for Federal Historic Tax Incentives as a whole.

Last edited by arkitekte; Dec 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 12:35 AM

One Beale (Rising tide to lift west end Beale)

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Owen View Post
^ The redesign is doable. At least we are still getting something in the 30+ story range judging by the first picture (even if it's just one tower this time). If One Beale ever gets off the ground some time next year, hopefully the two adjacent lots will follow down the road.
I'm excited that its back on the table. The new design is cool, however i like the original design better, that being said I believe it will certainly be a catalyst for the two adjacent lots to be redeveloped. With the new residents and employees + Beale St. Landing the foot traffic will certainly pick up on that end. The surface lot sitting right behind would be perfect for the WHITE WHALE (HOUSE OF BLUES) i have also took a strong look @ the lot across the street where the Pier used to be that lot is screaming for a Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. Hope this project breaks ground 2015 it would be huge for the west end

http://www.margaritaville.com/restaurants.htm

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 2:40 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisborn View Post
I'm excited that its back on the table. The new design is cool, however i like the original design better, that being said I believe it will certainly be a catalyst for the two adjacent lots to be redeveloped. With the new residents and employees + Beale St. Landing the foot traffic will certainly pick up on that end.
No doubt. I'd love to see those vacant lots as well as certain other lots in South Main redeveloped with 2 to 3 story mixed use and residential developments. There's a lot of potential on the southern side of downtown as well as South Main. It's going to be ever more prevalent with the work that Carlisle is doing with the Chisca and hopefully One Beale.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 6:51 PM

The Article We Have Been Waiting For

Carlisle Corp.: One Beale tower 'coming soon'

Quote:
The stalled One Beale development is — officially — back on the table.

Carlisle Corp. has updated its website with a new rendering of One Beale, which it says is "coming soon."

I first reported June 2 that the Carlisles are looking to restart the project, which was originally envisioned as a two-tower, $175 million project before the recession. I've been told the project won't begin until another of Carlisle Corp.'s projects, the $24 million renovation of the nearby Chisca Hotel, is further along.

"One Beale will be an iconic building for the city of Memphis, one that reflects where our city has been and where we are going," Gene Carlisle, founder of Carlisle Corp., said in a statement on the website. "People and cities define themselves by their buildings, and One Beale will reshape the Memphis urban experience."

The Carlisles didn't immediately return a call seeking more information.

This has been an eventful year for the family's company, which sold off a large portion of its Wendy's portfolio to take over a growing fast casual restaurant chain, LYFE Kitchen. Carlisle Corp. also bought the Sharky's property on Poplar to bring the LYFE concept to Memphis.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PillowTalk4 View Post
Why is there such much hate between Memphis and Nashville in the first place? I'm not sure who said that Memphis needs Nashville's approval, I certainly didn't and in no way implied it. I want to see all of Tennessee prosper. And, regardless of what anyone thinks of my opinion it is just that, my opinion. I don't speak for anyone else. I'm originally from Nashville and I love the city in which I was born and raised. But I don't like or dislike another city because of some comparison to Nashville. I've been blessed to have been able to travel to practically every major metropolitan and most mid-major metropolitan area in this country. I see things that I wish Nashville had all the time. When I travel home to Nashville there I things I love, and I mostly love that it is a growing region and seeing the city transform. But, I also see things that I dislike and hope that those things will be improved upon.
Honestly, the Memphis-Nashville rivalry seems like a pretty typical intrastate one to me for metros that around the same general size. I think it's mostly tame these days outside of stories like the IKEA announcement which usually allows the press and certain others to fan the flames.

I have no qualms in stating that I believe the Memphis press particularly journalists like Kyle Veazy fuel way more anti-Nashville sentiment than you will find reciprocated in the Nashville press. I guess the anti-Nashville themed articles get more hits? The recent articles the IKEA announcement are a good example of what I mean by this. Almost as much ink was spent detailing Nashville's disappointment in not landing an IKEA as there was detailing what a win the store is for the Memphis area. Nashville's disappointment should be obvious considering that a store has been long rumored here, the metro is notably larger and has been on a stronger economic trajectory. Nevertheless, it seemed the Memphis press was giddy about the opportunity to spin Nashvillian's genuine surprise and frustration into a display of Nashville "arrogance."

As a native Nashvillian who genuinely enjoys Memphis, I must admit that I have recently found it increasingly difficult to want to support our sister city to the west when so much effort is exerted there to rip apart Nashville or unnecessarily try to blame it for problems in Memphis. Honestly, the main negative sentiments I get from Nashvillian toward Memphis is more of a general disregard than out-right disrespect especially from people who are not originally from this part of the country and unacquainted with the rivalry. The people I've encountered here that spend the most time ragging on Memphis are often ex-Memphians and they generally complain about things like crime, economic instability, racial tensions, etc. that influenced their decision to relocate. They are not calling Memphis and its inhabitants "fake," "arrogant" or out of their name like the "Nashvillains" refrain that I am increasingly hearing and seeing from Memphians about people in Nashville.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 9:14 PM

(Obscure) One Beale renderings.

CarlisleCorp.com
http://www.carlislecorp.com/development/

Memphis Biz Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...=image_gallery

Memphis Biz Journal

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; Dec 23, 2014 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 11:40 PM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

^Long time no see!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:17 AM

nashvol, you are one of the very ones that chime in on things that happen in memphis. you wish that the scuttlebutt about the governor, his obvious slants, and his perfunctory duties of coming to memphis, when there are some employment opportunities, w/ the exception of the new canadian companies, he is on que to bolster the haywood county windmills and the development of future corporate/manufacturing jobs, i think it employs 21 or 22 workers, the same for rossville-shelby county
train modal facility--a great thing---but, again limited employment of less than 25, not 600, as was pushed. then, more visits to speak at the few announcements concerning a call center and the target announcement. to be honest, i don't remember if he attended the grocery markets intentions or ikea's plans. of course, several middle tn forum regulars were squawking about the disbelief that nashville was passed over for memphis.

anyone who wishes to throw nashville darts at memphis, but deny it, after 7 or 8 years of doing it---like nash---has to be crazy, uninformed, or and idiot, but most likely all three in this case. the charge of overtaking atlanta by nashville has already caused tn embarrassment and a big laugh for georgia and the southeast. it is a bit sad that many of their cheerleaders believe a few tall buildings doth a city make.

ari's statement, and she usually writes a good retort, even if we rarely agree, has to know that the tennessean wouldn't have much more than obits and the police blotter to report on, should they give up memphis comments.

so, my shame is in the ignorance of those in middle tn declaring their desperate attempts to be a teir 1 city, a dallas, houston, austin (which has problems w/ the major cities in texas.) let's see, oh yes, charlotte, tampa, memphis, and st. louis. the reason your city doesn't look quite right is because of the extremely artificial enviornment that has been erected...it isn't really urban. now, i'm finiished. no, a few more, those interested read about the nashville gang and the "can we talk..about memphis. coming on the board w/ fixed questions about urban outfitters. that stopped after midtown got one, nordstrom comes to nashville...been begging for one to make nashville like a big city, sig tower...this will make people in nyc take notice, and show atlanta who else is in the neighborhood (actually, that one was raking in so many laughs, i believe that ari removed it...it was pitiful...oh, i could go on and on, but it is way past coktail hour.

Last edited by kingchef; Dec 23, 2014 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
(Obscure) One Beale renderings.

CarlisleCorp.com
http://www.carlislecorp.com/development/

Memphis Biz Journal
http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/n...=image_gallery

Memphis Biz Journal
This new design has really grown on me. Really happy its back on the table. Fingers crossed that it will actually happen this time, they had more than enough time to make the numbers work.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:28 AM

King, in your defense of your views, don't feel the need to lash out at other locations. To be honest, I wouldn't call any city in Texas a tier 1 city, Houston and Dallas included. Not that there aren't amazing things that happen there, but it takes a lot more than at present to be a global city. Austin is a cool, quirky, growing city. But global city? Not a chance. Lets get our heads out of the clouds here.

Tennessee is a state with some decent mid sized American cities. All of them are primarily suburban, and even as Nashville builds a few condos to urbanize, and Memphis maintains its urban history, its a fair statement that neither city is remotely like Berlin or London or even San Francisco. Heck, even with the slight boom in Nashville's economy its a fair statement to say that both Memphis and Nashville alike have a fairly low paying job market. That's why its so cheap to live in this state, few people make more than $30-40k a year (just check the census stats for averages in each county and zip code, its clearly apparent how low incomes are in Tennessee, many counties across the state have average incomes barely above the $20k's). That's the ceiling of income for most folks. If you're above that, count your lucky stars and enjoy. To be in the upper 10% of income earners in Tennessee, it doesn't take much income and those jobs are almost entirely in the cities we've mentioned... The reason why NYC and SF are so damned expensive isn't because of government policy, its because business has the money to pay people in those locations and they spend it. The local market absorbs the difference in lifestyle those jobs afford.

Nothing in Tennessee is even remotely close to the economies in these truly global markets where money flows like candy in a fat kid's hands.

I've always thought its good to keep perspective, not lose the reality. There's some amazing things happening in Nashville for a downtown that said dead of any residential for decades. Memphis likewise has been maintaining a pretty decent center city for quite some time now and has plenty residents.

Be happy for both places and understand their cultural heritage and history within a larger context. You don't have to be the biggest or the baddest to be a notable place. Each place has its strengths.

So, lets all get along and stop fighting. Fair enough?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:34 AM

Sterick building Redevelopment

Quote:
This new design has really grown on me. Really happy its back on the table. Fingers crossed that it will actually happen this time, they had more than enough time to make the numbers work.
Any one heard anything lately on plans for the Sterick? I remember Paul Morris pushing the builders owners to market the building nationally Whatever came of that?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/busi...elop-long-vaca

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:28 AM
Preds/Titans/Grizz

Quote:
Any one heard anything lately on plans for the Sterick? I remember Paul Morris pushing the builders owners to market the building nationally Whatever came of that?

http://www.commercialappeal.com/busi...elop-long-vaca
It's a tough sell. Years of no maintenance in combination with a complete (or partial) rehab of the building and getting it up to code would be pretty expensive. Floor sizes aren't adequate for large office space today. Residential units there would be pretty expensive in order for a developer to make any money from it. If the demand and the market were there in downtown for a commercial or residential redevelopment, it would eventually happen. As it stands now it would be cheaper for a developer to develop new office or residential space rather than rehab the Sterick.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:37 AM

Just a reminder, we have a One Beale thread over in Highrise Proposals: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=211637

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:32 PM

Quote:
I'm excited that its back on the table. The new design is cool, however i like the original design better, that being said I believe it will certainly be a catalyst for the two adjacent lots to be redeveloped. With the new residents and employees + Beale St. Landing the foot traffic will certainly pick up on that end. The surface lot sitting right behind would be perfect for the WHITE WHALE (HOUSE OF BLUES) i have also took a strong look @ the lot across the street where the Pier used to be that lot is screaming for a Jimmy Buffets Margaritaville. Hope this project breaks ground 2015 it would be huge for the west end

http://www.margaritaville.com/restaurants.htm
A Margaritaville is what I've envisioned as part of a Mud Island redo. Put a Margaritaville restaurant and hotel down on the Gulf of Mexico. My thoughts include a mix of the new Margaritaville in Pigeon Forge and the Boardwalk Inn at Kemah in Texas

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Dec 23, 2014 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:11 PM
Rock'N'Roll Warlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkitekte View Post
It's a tough sell. Years of no maintenance in combination with a complete (or partial) rehab of the building and getting it up to code would be pretty expensive. Floor sizes aren't adequate for large office space today. Residential units there would be pretty expensive in order for a developer to make any money from it. If the demand and the market were there in downtown for a commercial or residential redevelopment, it would eventually happen. As it stands now it would be cheaper for a developer to develop new office or residential space rather than rehab the Sterick.
And don't forget the whole complicated land & building 99 year lease crap. If it is possible to redevelop the Sears building, it is possible to redevelop the Sterick. The lease is the biggest obstacle, IMO (and that's not to diminish the costs of a rehab or the difficulty in determine price/demand, I think the lease is that much of an obstacle).

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
A Margaritaville is what I've envisioned as part of a Mud Island redo. Put a Margaritaville restaurant and hotel down on the Gulf of Mexico. My thoughts include a mix of the new Margaritaville in Pigeon Forge and the Boardwalk Inn at Kemah in Texas

Great look for mud island what to do with the amphitheater does it get any use on a regular basis? I would love to a high end outlet mall part of a reuse like this. The Aquarium Restaurant would be a great addition there as well as a Ferris wheel

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Great look for mud island what to do with the amphitheater does it get any use on a regular basis? I would love to a high end outlet mall part of a reuse like this. The Aquarium Restaurant would be a great addition there as well as a Ferris wheel
The AMP is vastly underutilized, Memphis should not concede outdoor concerts in amp settings to Southhaven. It's only been hosting three to five concerts each season while it should be 7 to 10 at least. Eric Clapton this year showed it's viability to host great shows in one of the most picturesque settings for such a facility in America. You leave the lower half alone, you go in and add a suite section in the middle and you add additional seating to get it to push closer to 9 to 10 thousand. You look at adding a cover to it that retracts if weather is ideal or expands if shelter from sun or rain is needed but do not mess with the skyline sightlines and update and modernize the infrastructure.

I've shared my thoughts on this before but for the rest of the Island:

Update Riverwalk

Turn the area north of tram terminal/museum into a Boardwalk style amusement park with a river theme or waterpark or a combination of both.

Overhaul museum. Imagine a Disneylike Soaring type of ride up and down the Mississippi.

An Aquarium, either a new home for the outdated one at the zoo or a commercial venture like Sealife, Ripley's, Herschend Family Entertainment. (This could also be part of a Pinch revitalization or redo of Cook if a new convention center is built.)

As for yout premium outlet, that's a hard one with the Southaven one having landed Tanger which is a successful outlet management group to help develop it. There's one going in next to the standard Bass Pro in Little Rock, though I could see an old warehouse looking type of outlet center in the Pinch. Landing an American Girl Outlet would pull off traffic.

I lament the loss of the Memphis Belle, it could have been further developed to include a simulated mission ride complete with animatronics as gunners and crew as the fuselage you are seating in shakes with flak bursts and so on.

Don't get me going on the Zippin Pippin as Green Bay did exactly what Memphis should have, built a new clone of it on Mud Island.

A ferris wheel should be incorporated into Beale St. Landing but a new trend is Star Flyers as they are cheaper and visually imposing as well. See behind the wheel

Last edited by Wayward Memphian; Dec 23, 2014 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Memphian View Post
The AMP is vastly underutilized, Memphis should not concede outdoor concerts in amp settings to Southhaven. It's only been hosting three to five concerts each season while it should be 7 to 10 at least. Eric Clapton this year showed it's viability to host great shows in one of the most picturesque settings for such a facility in America. You leave the lower half alone, you go in and add a suite section in the middle and you add additional seating to get it to push closer to 9 to 10 thousand. You look at adding a cover to it that retracts if weather is ideal or expands if shelter from sun or rain is needed but do not mess with the skyline sightlines and update and modernize the infrastructure.

I've shared my thoughts on this before but for the rest of the Island:

Update Riverwalk

Turn the area north of tram terminal/museum into a Boardwalk style amusement park with a river theme or waterpark or a combination of both.

Overhaul museum. Imagine a Disneylike Soaring type of ride up and down the Mississippi.

An Aquarium, either a new home for the outdated one at the zoo or a commercial venture like Sealife, Ripley's, Herschend Family Entertainment. (This could also be part of a Pinch revitalization or redo of Cook if a new convention center is built.)

As for yout premium outlet, that's a hard one with the Southaven one having landed Tanger which is a successful outlet management group to help develop it. There's one going in next to the standard Bass Pro in Little Rock, though I could see an old warehouse looking type of outlet center in the Pinch. Landing an American Girl Outlet would pull off traffic.

I lament the loss of the Memphis Belle, it could have been further developed to include a simulated mission ride complete with animatronics as gunners and crew as the fuselage you are seating in shakes with flak bursts and so on.

Don't get me going on the Zippin Pippin as Green Bay did exactly what Memphis should have, built a new clone of it on Mud Island.

A ferris wheel should be incorporated into Beale St. Landing but a new trend is Star Flyers as they are cheaper and visually imposing as well. See behind the wheel
Great idea and visionary but unfortunately the powers that be have no creative minds to make such a thing a reality. It could really be a game changer for all of Memphis.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 2:01 AM

Let me further discuss the Amp.

What's missing here?

Oh yeah, two obvious places for HD video boards on each side of the stage.

Mud Island only seats around 5,000, it needs at the bare minimum 2,500 with with 9,500 to 10,000 being ideal. To put this into perspective here's Mud Island:

And here's Jones Beach in New York at 15,000

I'm going for in between.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations