HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 3:46 PM

New Orleans' credit rating upgraded -- so what does it mean, big picture?

https://www.nola.com/news/politics/a...539a45221.html

New Orleans' credit rating ticked up on Tuesday when Moody's upgraded its evaluation of the city's creditworthiness.

The bond rating company upgraded the city's rating from AA3 to AA2. The new score is the third-highest rating the company gives.

It's the latest in a series of upgrades the city has seen in recent years from Moody's and other credit rating firms.

A credit rating upgrade means the firm views the city's bonds as safer for investors, which can lower the amount the city will have to pay in interest when it sells new bonds.

The timing of this increase is particularly important because the city plans to issue about $50 million in bonds this year and is seeking voters' permission to issue another $500 million in debt in coming years.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:25 PM

Gov. Edwards, Litify Announce Tech Firm’s Entry into New Orleans

https://gnoinc.org/news/publications...o-new-orleans/

Gov. John Bel Edwards, New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell and Litify founder Reuven Moskowitz announced the company will open a new regional office in New Orleans and create 20 new direct jobs by the close of 2020.

The 20 new direct jobs will provide an average annual salary of $65,000, plus benefits. Louisiana Economic Development estimates the project will result in an additional 25 new indirect jobs, for a total of 45 new jobs in Southeast Louisiana.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:26 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlidellWx View Post
Are you referencing the line that runs along I-10? That line along I-10 curves north to Hammond. The line that runs along Airline Highway is the one that will connect to Baton Rouge. The rail trestle that crosses over the Bonnet Carre Spillway along Airline is the one that will need to be replaced.
Gotcha didnt realize that but your right.. well at least we know what it would look like to upgrade the other one... they need to upgrade the bridges crossing the spillway anwyays with how frequently the spillway has been opened recently

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:29 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
https://www.nola.com/news/politics/a...539a45221.html

New Orleans' credit rating ticked up on Tuesday when Moody's upgraded its evaluation of the city's creditworthiness.

The bond rating company upgraded the city's rating from AA3 to AA2. The new score is the third-highest rating the company gives.

It's the latest in a series of upgrades the city has seen in recent years from Moody's and other credit rating firms.

A credit rating upgrade means the firm views the city's bonds as safer for investors, which can lower the amount the city will have to pay in interest when it sells new bonds.

The timing of this increase is particularly important because the city plans to issue about $50 million in bonds this year and is seeking voters' permission to issue another $500 million in debt in coming years.
Always good to see since that saves us money on interests carry.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:35 PM
-

Canopy Of Peace. I se that the camera got knocked out by a rain storm last month and im assuming wont ever be fixed. That said has anyone heard anything about whats going on? seems the contractors are just out there every day fiddling around... I cant see this avoiding lawsuits much longer if not happening already

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 6:50 PM
-

Today, Team Landis got out of the office and on to the job site for our monthly company meeting. We’re making great progress on our New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center Linear Park project! See below for more

We’re inviting D/SLDBE subcontractors to bid the permit set of documents for the Two Saints Social Living project! Details below

New United Club at MSy applied for Liquor License:
UNITED CLUB MSY 1 TERMINAL DR SPACE 1711 KENNER LA Jefferson AG.26.0000115170-BL AG.BL - CLASS A GENERAL BEER AND LIQUOR 2600115170 PENDING 09/10/2019

129 Roosevelt Way·HDLC COA · Ref Code:1LFCSX
Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
HDLC COA
Applicant:
Sabri Farouki
Permit not required
Date Filed:
9/9/2019
Closed:
Yes
Description:
1. THE PROJECT IS AN INTERIOR RENOVATION OF EXISTING BASEMENT LEVEL EVENT SPACES. 2. THE PROJECT MAKES NO CHANGES TO THE EXISTING USES. 3. THE PROJECT MAKES NO CHANGES TO THE EXIT ACCESS TO THE GROUND FLOOR AND STREET. 4. THE PROJECT MAKES NO CHANGES TO THE EXTERIOR OF THE BUILDING.

djsnola
801 Baronne St·Renovation (Non-Structural)

· Ref Code:3Z6AMK

Print Summary
Add to Watch List
Type:Renovation (Non-Structural)Applicant:Kerrigan WendyStatus:Application SubmittedDate Filed:9/9/2019Closed:NoDescription:

Presentation drawings showing elements to be renovated for HDLC approval.

djsnola
601 S Solomon St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:XMALVQ
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Renovation (Non-Structural)
Applicant:
Andrew O Dinkelacker
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/10/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
This is the interior renovation of an existing corner store.

djsnola
1160 Camp St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:2YDHHQ
Download (2) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Charles Jones
Application Review
Date Filed:
9/10/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
This is project is a level 2 alteration of an existing building located at 1160 Camp St. The renovation scope is 3,600 square foot located within a larger building that is 14,800 square foot. The primary use of this renovated space will be a Micro-Brewery and Tap Room for The Courtyard Brewery. Scope includes minor interior framing, minor updated plumbing, and minor electrical work. Also, an additional exit will be added to satisfy egress requirements. There are two existing bathrooms which will remain in their current state to serve the business. The primary entrance to the business is also set back from the Camp St property line by approximately 95 foot. The open space indicated on the drawings will not be used by this business. There are no parking requirements as this business is under 5,000 square foot. Please note that there is no option to select a ‘Micro-Brewery’ as the intended use. Therefore, we selected 'Brewery’ as there was no closer option.

3534 Toulouse St·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Ref Code:V1KEV5
Download (1) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
David Carimi
Application Submitted
Date Filed:
9/10/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Renovate existing parking lot per drawing and scope of work attached.

2601 Orleans Ave·Renovation (Non-Structural) · Permit #19-28537-RNVN · Ref Code:17DN27
Download (5) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Applicant:
Jon A Skjolaas
Permit Issued
Date Filed:
9/10/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Non-structual renovation to 2300 sqft commercial building to remedy code enforcement issues. Scope of work includes carpentry, weather boards, repair brick facade, painting. Exterior work only, no interior work under this permit. No electrical, plumbing, or HVAC. NO USE AND OCCUPANCY.

212 Loyola Ave -Unit 912·Design Review · Project #DR168-19 · Ref CodeAJK5A
Download (4) Print Summary Submit Add to Watch List
Type:
Design Review
Applicant:
Sonesta Nola Corporation
Completeness Review
Date Filed:
9/3/2019
Closed:
No
Description:
Design Review for the addition of a fabric canopy at entry of hotel in association with DR008-19 in an EC Enhancement Corridor Design Overlay District

New international grocery to bring bakery, deli, diverse foods to bustling Mid-City area

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_l...151cfb3e4.html

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 11, 2019 at 7:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 7:41 PM
-

Thankfully they are finally cleaning the Domes roof!

The Odeon:

Residence Inn St Charles:

400 Block S Rampart:

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 11, 2019 at 7:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennis1400 View Post
400 Block S Rampart:

The comment on this post says that this was a concept design that never moved forward. Very interested to see what the new owners have for their multi parcel development. I think they own most of the block now.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 9:38 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boryenka View Post
The comment on this post says that this was a concept design that never moved forward. Very interested to see what the new owners have for their multi parcel development. I think they own most of the block now.
Sorry I should have said that

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 11, 2019 at 10:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:39 PM

How should New Orleans develop land near future Convention Center hotel? Board asks f

New Orleans tourism officials' plans for a massive entertainment district on empty land upriver from the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center are back on the table.

The Convention Center's board, which finally won approval in June to build a 1,200-room hotel on part of the land after lengthy political wrangling, has asked interested firms to submit ideas by Oct. 4 for how to develop the 20 acres adjacent to the hotel site.

In its request for new master plan proposals, the Convention Center said it "expects the development to be reflective of the unique culture and history of New Orleans and include elements not commonly found in other parts of the nation."

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...45edb1bf2.html

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 12:50 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sguil1 View Post
New Orleans tourism officials' plans for a massive entertainment district on empty land upriver from the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center are back on the table.

The Convention Center's board, which finally won approval in June to build a 1,200-room hotel on part of the land after lengthy political wrangling, has asked interested firms to submit ideas by Oct. 4 for how to develop the 20 acres adjacent to the hotel site.

In its request for new master plan proposals, the Convention Center said it "expects the development to be reflective of the unique culture and history of New Orleans and include elements not commonly found in other parts of the nation."

https://www.nola.com/news/business/a...45edb1bf2.html

If you asked me the main emphasis should be on the riverfront over there with legitimate commercials venues lining and facing the riverfront with a perfect line of site of the river... I also think they should consider a tram system not a streetcar system to connect the neighborhood back to warehouse district and downtown using convention center blvd...while not on the scale of hudson yards in Manhattan I think there are some lessons that can be learned from there on how to incorporate a whole new neighborhood into an older citys street grid and cultural landscape

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:26 PM
-

Convention Center Hotel Floorplans from RFP

Looks nice ... one thing I notice is theres also a planned entertainment venue across the street from the hotel thats not part of the 20 acres in the rfp so Im assuming something is already in the works for this space

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 2:30 PM
-

Convention Center RFP plots(20 acres of the total 47 acres they own)

Last edited by tennis1400; Sep 12, 2019 at 4:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:00 PM

RFP for Conventions Center

I’m glad progress is FINALLY being made. One thing that strikes me as a problem is the blocks between Tchoup and Conventions Center Blvd are too big. They should restore S. Peters Street fully too, otherwise it will be unwalkable and too sprawled.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:23 PM

Sheesh, I keep forgetting how much of that land is owned by the Convention Center. And even the parcels they don't own..I just forget how much vacant land is over there period. Such a huge opportunity.

Yes, previous news coverage in May seemed to say that the Convention Center was in talks with Live Nation about developing that parcel just above the proposed hotel site. So an entertainment venue seems in line with expectations.

I agree that the waterfront should be integrated as much as possible into this, but they don't actually own any land directly on the waterfront, correct? They seem to have riverfront areas highlighted on some of their RFP docs, but if I'm not mistaken, all of that is either owned by Tulane/Mardi Gras World or else Port of New Orleans/ Cruise Terminal.

Kurt Vonnegut

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
I’m glad progress is FINALLY being made. One thing that strikes me as a problem is the blocks between Tchoup and Conventions Center Blvd are too big. They should restore S. Peters Street fully too, otherwise it will be unwalkable and too sprawled.
That was my first thought as well. Even if they didn't want to build a full street (which probably would be difficult anyway with the offramp), a pedestrian/bike "greenway" cutting through the parking lot and at least block C would make the area much more attractive. It looks like they may have already considered breaking up the parcel west of Tchoupitoulas with an extension of Henderson and a new street connecting Euterpe and Melpomene which would improve the walkability tremendously.

I'm curious about the "proposed entertainment venue." That seems too small to be something like Topgolf. I keep hoping for something like a Cirque du Soleil to diversify the city's tourism offerings. Seems like they have something in mind though.

Doesn't see like they are very focused on riverfront development. I always thought that should be a key part of the overall plan. A large riverfront park/amphitheater/festival grounds would go a long way towards making the area a destination which will be the big challenge

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alxx611 View Post
Sheesh, I keep forgetting how much of that land is owned by the Convention Center. And even the parcels they don't own..I just forget how much vacant land is over there period. Such a huge opportunity.

Yes, previous news coverage in May seemed to say that the Convention Center was in talks with Live Nation about developing that parcel just above the proposed hotel site. So an entertainment venue seems in line with expectations.

I agree that the waterfront should be integrated as much as possible into this, but they don't actually own any land directly on the waterfront, correct? They seem to have riverfront areas highlighted on some of their RFP docs, but if I'm not mistaken, all of that is either owned by Tulane/Mardi Gras World or else Port of New Orleans/ Cruise Terminal.
It doesn't look to me like the RFP itself includes riverfront areas, unless I'm missing something. The only thing I saw was an old proposal by Hughes in the nola.com article that showed the riverfront area as part of development. So perhaps it's not part of the RFP but they hope to work something out to have Tulane/Mardi Gras World/the port develop a piece of it?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:10 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
It doesn't look to me like the RFP itself includes riverfront areas, unless I'm missing something. The only thing I saw was an old proposal by Hughes in the nola.com article that showed the riverfront area as part of development. So perhaps it's not part of the RFP but they hope to work something out to have Tulane/Mardi Gras World/the port develop a piece of it?
it doesnt incluyde that since they dont own any land.. the port and tulane own it all.. just hope there is some communication long term about that because the river front over there really could be something special...

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:26 PM
-

Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 5:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokowave View Post
That was my first thought as well. Even if they didn't want to build a full street (which probably would be difficult anyway with the offramp), a pedestrian/bike "greenway" cutting through the parking lot and at least block C would make the area much more attractive. It looks like they may have already considered breaking up the parcel west of Tchoupitoulas with an extension of Henderson and a new street connecting Euterpe and Melpomene which would improve the walkability tremendously.

I'm curious about the "proposed entertainment venue." That seems too small to be something like Topgolf. I keep hoping for something like a Cirque du Soleil to diversify the city's tourism offerings. Seems like they have something in mind though.

Doesn't see like they are very focused on riverfront development. I always thought that should be a key part of the overall plan. A large riverfront park/amphitheater/festival grounds would go a long way towards making the area a destination which will be the big challenge
well we def know it wont be Top Golf after the whole fiasco a few months ago... plus top golf was planned to be on the lakeside of tchoup... this has to be something indoors.. but another Live Nation Venue is crazy considering they have just opened the FIllmore... what else does Live Nation have beside that? oh well still exciting regardless.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations