HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

View Poll Results: Would you live here? (After you vote, please tell me why you voted the way you did)
Yes 5 25.00%
No 10 50.00%
Maybe 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 7:19 PM
Registered Ugly

Lightbulb Nude Dancing Again in Lansing, Michigan

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 7:36 PM
Mac User

This looks like a nice town, but not particularly interesting. The streets look pretty empty. Personally I have no interest in living in Michigan, I hear it gets pretty cold and that it can be a depressing place.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 7:46 PM

^gah you vancouverites are such babies when it comes to wintertime .

I wouldn't live there because Edmonton is my home, but it is a beautiful place. Well captured.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 8:09 PM
Trendy.

I could never live in Lansing - I'm very afraid of catching the Boji Complex.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 8:24 PM
Beer Stampede

I suppose if I had a reason to live there, I would like to live downtown if I could. Certainly a better option than Flint or Detroit. Nice downtown. I'm glad to see it's still building up.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 11:26 PM

You bet your ass I would live in Lansing, I already did.

Went to MSU in the 90's and stayed around a couple of years then moved back to Detroit and ended up in Miami after all that. Its a great town and still have alot of friends in and around it. Im going up there next spring for a wedding. While I'll probably wont live there again, I'll never say never to Lansing. It looks better everytime I see it.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2009, 11:46 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Nice looking town but nope. Thanks for the beautiful pictures though.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 12:01 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyjoeda View Post
This looks like a nice town, but not particularly interesting. The streets look pretty empty. Personally I have no interest in living in Michigan, I hear it gets pretty cold and that it can be a depressing place.
was this really necessary?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 2:13 AM

It looks nice, so maybe I guess.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 5:36 AM

First off, great photo thread. But being totally honest, I don't think I could. You know well I'm spoiled living an hour away just blocks from downtown Ann Arbor. It's okay though, I'll give you some free swings at my hometown of Saginaw.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 10:16 AM
Honored Member

I'd heard negative things about Lansing, but your photos make it look really good. There are some nice blocks with great facades, and there's water, which creates a good focal point for development and revitalization. Nice job, nice-looking downtown.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 2:59 PM
Registered Ugly

That's all I'm really looking for is honesty based on the look and feel alone. It's not utopia by any means, but there is a lot of progress being made in and around town.

A few Lansing positives in my opinion:

1. As far as Michigan cities go, it's virtually recession-proof comparably (think: the one-industry town of Flint). State employees and university faculty/staff offer a solid middle class base.

2. The university is a huge boost to the region, being the 8th largest in the country. The last few years, MSU has seen its endowment grow faster than just about any other public university in the country. It also just won the half-billion dollar (federal) Facility for Rare Isotope Beams. It's nuclear physics program is second only two MIT (U.S. News), and it's the only single campus university with three medical schools, all of which are highly ranked (with 2 in the top ten). It's a land grant university, with many opportunities to work with MSU Extension (one in every county), who have tons of urban/community gardening and sustainable food systems initiatives going on.

3. It's within an hour's drive to Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor and Metro Detroit. It's within an hour and a half's drive to some of the most beautiful fresh water beaches in the country:

Saugatuck photo taken by Peaguod on Flickr.

Lansing is just over three hours from Chicago (by car and train) and 5 hours to Toronto. Michigan is also on a short list to receive billions for high-speed rail initiatives, which could stand to make the region highly connected.

4. Lansing is currently creating a new master plan with tons of community involvement/participation in the process. The city's "Workshop in a Box" program gives residents the tools to have public input and critique sessions out of their homes. Lansing non-motorized transportation network initiatives seem to be getting their "legs" lately, too.

5. People are coming back downtown, and developers are taking notice.

Some perceived negatives:

1. Not much of a music scene. Sure, if you count folk and blues, then maybe it's OK. But it's incredibly difficult to see talented independent or national artists ever since the Temple Club closed. The city lacks venues.

2. The blue-collar mentality of the town has traditionally made it quite conservative in its initiatives, with people often not wanting to take risks in design.

3. Despite the positives of the region, there is still a lot of defeatist and negative talk. Michigan is bleeding jobs, but it also offers a lot of opportunity for entrepreneurs and artists who want access to cheap space and established markets. The negative talk in Michigan just gives people from outside the state a bad impression despite all of the potential.

4. Although the town has a good bus network, there's still very little talk about dedicated bus lanes or light rail.

Thanks for all your comments, folks.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2009, 3:39 PM

Lansing definitely has a lot of development going on, which verifies your recession-proof point. The only projects though that really had me impressed though were Printers row and the Accident Fund.

Really, what bothers me most about the city is the large amount of massive 5-10 story boxes. They take up nearly half a city block and have poor interaction with the street. Just because some have ground floor retail doesn't mean anything in effective urban design. I've tried to explain this to other urban planners, but they miss the concept entirely. Facade treatment and the length of a buildings street frontage have so much to do with how effectively a building will actively engage an urban setting.

We actually had a small SSP meetup in Lansing last week and collectively agreed that if some of those midrises had narrower footprints and extended vertically, Lansing would be a completely different town

Old Posted Jun 30, 2009, 9:11 PM

If I were forced to live in the States, I'd consider it but wouldn't be my first choice.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 4:14 AM
no its not...

First of all..thanks for NOT showing the women in the pictures nude. Secondly, very nice shots!

Old Posted Jul 1, 2009, 6:27 PM
loving that Gary skyline

I'd live there... but after 23 collective years of living in Detroit... well, you know the rest... lol

very friendly people there, last time I was in Lansing...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos