HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Interesting what you said about Aaragon being closed as well, since I saw a huge Lolla aftershow going on over the weekend. But perhaps that was more of a one off thing since theres nothing even listed on their calendar until September...

Also re: Thalia Hall, I heard the NYE target date for the venue from a friend who used to rent an apartment in that building before it went into foreclosure. I think that's a best case scenario sort of thing tho. Modern Cooperative is also moving there, in addition to whatever restaurant the L&E folks come up with which Im sure will be great.
I used to know someone who lived at the Thalia, she rented an amazing duplex unit. Were all the renters forced out after the foreclosure?

Old Posted Aug 8, 2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
In other news, a new 7 story residential/retail tower was brought up at an East Lakeview meeting yesterday. A developer wants to put it where the Mobil gas station is on the NE corner of Broadway & Sheridan just up the road up Halsted Flats and near Chateau Hotel. 90 residential units and 2000 sq ft of retail space, and 50 parking spaces.
Developer is Saxony Capital LLC in case anyone was wondering. Also interesting is that the entire block of properties across from the Chateau along Broadway are owned by the same man, who according to this article is now planning on upgraded his buildings after the departure of the Chateau's past use.

A lot of good development happening along this stretch of Halsted/Broadway, I willing to bet we will see even more in the near future.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
^I can't think of worse place in the neighborhood to put a preschool. Right smack in the middle of an entertainment district. Does a preschool operation limit the ability to gain new liquor licenses nearby? I know the building was never really that pleasant to walk past and didn't add much to the streetscape in its present condition, but a preschool on such a pedestrian oriented street is such a horrible use for a prime ground floor location. They typically frost out all the windows and it will create a dead zone for the entire frontage the building has along the street. Due to strict state laws governing design of preschool and day care centers, they typically can only locate on ground floor spaces and need to have access to light and outdoor spaces.
I sort of agree but it gives the ever what seems increasing parents in my area a places to send there kids to thus keeping them in the neighborhood/city.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 5:24 AM

The very beginning of a couple stories of precast has sprung up on the north side of Chicago at Hudson. I think this may be related to Jesse White or his Tumblers, but I'm not sure.

Edit -- from the architect's website:

Jesse White Community Center

http://www.ghafari.com/content.cfm/n...und-in-chicago
Quote:
New Jesse White Community Center Breaks Ground in Chicago

The new Jesse White Community Center broke ground on June 1 in Chicago’s Near North Side neighborhood. Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel attended the groundbreaking ceremony, joining Illinois Secretary of State Jesse White in offering remarks about the community center, a joint project between the Jesse White Foundation, City of Chicago and Chicago Park District.
The community center, to be located on West Chicago Avenue, will feature a full-court gymnasium, gymnastic center, fitness and club rooms, locker rooms, computer labs and a community meeting area. The center will also be home to the Jesse White Tumbling Team, a juvenile delinquency prevention program founded by Mr. White in 1959 to provide a recreational, athletic and educational outlet to Chicago youth from low-income neighborhoods. Members of the Jesse White Tumblers performed at the groundbreaking ceremony.
Ghafari is providing both design and construction management services for the community center. Ghafari’s Director of Design, Joseph Gonzalez, spoke on behalf of the firm at the groundbreaking ceremony, describing the design concept of the community center to attendees.
http://www.ghafari.com/resources/con...s/l-image3.jpg

Last edited by denizen467; Aug 9, 2013 at 5:47 AM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:37 AM

One can only hope that the Jesse White Community Center does not bring the same problems that the youth center on Halsted did to Boystown. Seems like someone brings that place up in every Lakeview Patch article.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:11 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip View Post
I sort of agree but it gives the ever what seems increasing parents in my area a places to send there kids to thus keeping them in the neighborhood/city.
Agreed. However, parents tend to be the worst NIMBY's. As a parent myself, I can attest to that for sure.

Unfortunately, rare is the parent like myself who recognizes that density and mixed uses in an urban environment are a very good thing for everyone: the city, the community, and the children.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 12:31 PM
The City

More good news for Pilsen!

Ex-Goose Islander opening brewery

Quote:
The production brewery, which Mr. Rouben is opening with his cousin and business partner, Jeremy Cohn, a former New York-based real estate financier, will comprise 9,300 square feet of space at the Glass Factory in Pilsen at 2136 S. Peoria St. Mr. Rouben says the space, with 15-foot ceilings, is perfect to allow him to grow over the years — including opening a tasting room in about 18 months — but it's also the right location for what he wants to do.

"I looked at more than 50 locations in the city," Mr. Rouben said. "I have seen everything, and this place is perfect. I wanted to be in a neighborhood and a community that loves beer, arts and music — and Pilsen is great for that."

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
So that's where he is going. I almost got them to move into a building I represent. Jared is a good dude and makes some fantastic beer.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 6:05 PM
TL;DR

Oh, the setbacks!

That's a great design for a Chicago neighborhood but not for the edge of downtown, especially on a street that's always been envisioned as a highrise canyon.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Oh, the setbacks!

That's a great design for a Chicago neighborhood but not for the edge of downtown, especially on a street that's always been envisioned as a highrise canyon.
There's setback requirements depending on the site though in some places setback aren't possible...like the community center in RP

Last edited by Rizzo; Aug 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
The very beginning of a couple stories of precast has sprung up on the north side of Chicago at Hudson. I think this may be related to Jesse White or his Tumblers, but I'm not sure.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:31 PM

The last of the building at State & Pearson is gone for the 9 story Loyola business building to go up. Crews still cleaning up everything there.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 7:37 PM

Yeah last I saw this morning was one stubby wall. Since I'm staying in Gold Coast I look forward to progress of this going up. Anyone know if the tower will rise at the same time?

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post

This blows! Pre-cast, set back from the street? WTH? What a horrible place to put a horrible building like this. I had high hopes of frontage, height, and density in this area at some point in the near future, oh well so much for that...

Old Posted Aug 9, 2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
One can only hope that the Jesse White Community Center does not bring the same problems that the youth center on Halsted did to Boystown. Seems like someone brings that place up in every Lakeview Patch article.

Agreed.

The COH is one of the worst things to happen to Lakeview in a long time.

It was a good idea on paper...create a place where "gay homeless teens" can go, but the idea went south, as all it has done is attract every juvenile delinquent from other parts of the city, most of whom are not even gay or homeless, who come in at night, beat, rob, fight, etc. From there, the word spread that lakeview has a bunch of softies who are easy to rob, its really bad.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:20 PM
The City

^perhaps that in part played a role in people's opposition to the gay-friendly hotel that was proposed?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I can see where the disappointment comes from, Im not a fan of the design either, but Chicago Avenue has around a dozen open sites for development between State and Sedgwick alone. We can all bitch about it in 25 years when it is the only lot on the street left which is underused... but now? meh.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
5 three-story, 6 residential unit buildings (30 total units) got approved for work in "South Old Irving Park" on Milwaukee, not terribly far from Kilbourn Park. This is nice because the site is currently a small open field - More infill. Architect is Bill G. Kokalias.

Buildings at 3408, 3414, 3420, 3426, 3434 N Milwaukee Ave
Another building permit issued yesterday for 3438 N Milwaukee bringing the total number of units to 36 for this vacant field. Looks as if most or all of that empty field will be gone. Very good!

Old Posted Aug 10, 2013, 5:48 PM

Tower of Pizza Hut open for showings

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130...nt-tower-opens

Old Posted Aug 11, 2013, 6:44 PM

$1500 / month isn't bad for a luxury apartment right at a transit stop, right in a great neighborhood spot. Plus all new. You'll find much higher rents in similarly branded neighborhoods.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development