HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgregor View Post
Good video. On that youtube channel for the airport they also show "Kalitta Air" taking off. It looks like from runway 32 to me, which is shorter at 7700' long. I wonder how full it was.
You are correct - it was the shorter runway. I'm assuming it probably wasn't full.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Air Canada is bringing in a Boeing 777 and 767 (which fly to Halifax daily) to help get athletes home from the Canada Games tonight.
I noticed that too. I had originally thought the 767 was the normal flight in from YYZ and then onto LHR; but there is no LHR flight scheduled. My only problem is that I don't see the outbound back to YYZ shown in the flight schedules. The one for the 777 is showing 'cancelled'. I'm assuming they are probably changing flights quickly, so we might see it updated tomorrow. HIAA shows a flight '7093' but it's not showing up anywhere, so I'm assuming the flight might be renumbered.

During Christmas of last year; they had the 777-300ERs in here a few times when the weather had fowled up the schedules from Toronto. If I recall, in one day they had 2 of them at YHZ.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 3:19 AM

As it turns out - AC dropped the 767 coming in tonight in favour of an A321 (which will outbound tomorrow) and a 777-200LR (which will leave around 1am YHZ time). Westjet brought in 2 additional 737-800's which are currently on route to Edmonton.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2011, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
As it turns out - AC dropped the 767 coming in tonight in favour of an A321 (which will outbound tomorrow) and a 777-200LR (which will leave around 1am YHZ time). Westjet brought in 2 additional 737-800's which are currently on route to Edmonton.
Yeah I see that, looks more like we won't see it till 1:30 am and should be leaving around 2:30 am Atlantic Time.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghYHZ View Post
Also have photos of BA, TWA & NWA 747s at YHZ too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Id like to see those pictures
I have to get the pictures captured from 8mm video.....but for now.....a few others from the past:
Canadian Pacific used '747s and DC-10s on the AMS-YHZ route and Air Canada, L1011s between LHR and YHZ.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 7:15 PM

Wow cool pics! Do you happen to have any of the terminal?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 7:17 PM

Great pictures. I was never really a fan of the looks of the DC-10 because of that 3rd engine stuck in the middle of the stabilizer, although I rode in a few which were fine as a passenger. But I always loved the look of the L-1011, such a stylish airplane. And it is so nice to see that much-missed CP Air and Canadien livery. Look at all those shiny new mid-80s rental cars too!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 7:46 PM

I wasn't aware that CP had an AMS route from Halifax - does anyone know how often the service was? I'd assume probably only a few times a week. I'd guess that the DC-10 is parked at gate 24 if my guess is correct - it looks like the international area we have no hadn't even be built with gates 26, 27 and 28. I do miss the Canadi>n livery though!

I agree with Keith though; I much prefered the L1011 to the DC-10. I got to fly on an L1011 to London with Air Canada, I loved it. Granted, I was only in grade 6!

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cormiermax View Post
Wow cool pics! Do you happen to have any of the terminal?
Some postcards from the 1960s......

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 8:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Some postcards from the 1960s......

These are very interesting ghYHZ, are these from your own collection? Do you have any of the Concorde at Halifax? (they had to make a few emergency landings)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 8:30 PM

Wow the terminal looks much larger in those pictures than it did pre recent renovations.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
These are very interesting ghYHZ, are these from your own collection? Do you have any of the Concorde at Halifax? (they had to make a few emergency landings)
Yes they're from my collection.....and here’s a few pages from a brochure when the airport opened in 1960. I do have some pictures of the Concord at YHZ but will have to capture it from 8mm video.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
I wasn't aware that CP had an AMS route from Halifax - does anyone know how often the service was? I'd assume probably only a few times a week. I'd guess that the DC-10 is parked at gate 24 if my guess is correct - it looks like the international area we have no hadn't even be built with gates 26, 27 and 28. I do miss the Canadi>n livery though!
I checked a CP Timetable from October 1984.....It was a YYZ-YHZ-AMS service, once a week on Mondays. You could fly the ‘747 between YYZ and YHZ but not in the opposite direction (probably due to AMS-YYZ passengers having to clear CDN customs there)

The DC10s and 747 are parked roughly where the US Pre-Clear Terminal is today.

And look closely......this is the Canadian Pacific/Canadien Pacifique livery. Similar but only lasted for a year or so before the airline was sold to Pacific Western and Canadi>n launched.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 9:19 PM

........And a couple more pages from the 1960 Brochure:

Old Posted Mar 13, 2011, 11:57 PM

These are gold!

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 12:11 AM
Honored Member

The fact sheet on the Halifax airport is very interesting. Thanks for posting these ghYHZ.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I checked a CP Timetable from October 1984.....It was a YYZ-YHZ-AMS service, once a week on Mondays. You could fly the ‘747 between YYZ and YHZ but not in the opposite direction (probably due to AMS-YYZ passengers having to clear CDN customs there)

The DC10s and 747 are parked roughly where the US Pre-Clear Terminal is today.

And look closely......this is the Canadian Pacific/Canadien Pacifique livery. Similar but only lasted for a year or so before the airline was sold to Pacific Western and Canadi>n launched.
I figured as much that the route only worked one day a week and I'm not surprised you couldn't get to Toronto on the same aircraft. That was part of the problem with AC's route from Heathrow stopping in YYT (St. John's) after 9/11. The customs requirements would only allow them to drop off passengers, they couldn't pick up any. So they'd loose about 25 to 40% of the passengers in SJ's, but still had people wanting to go to YHZ. So they'd have to run another flight leaving at virtually the same time but that was domestic only. So you'd never see AC861 on the schedule between YYT and YHZ. I know they did try forcing people to clear customs in YYT a few times. Between YHZ getting angry over the loss of extra revenue to YYT and the fact YYT couldn't cope with so many passengers - they just finally made the route direct.

I knew about Canadian's livery versus Canadian Pacific - but what I was trying to say was it's nice to see the livery (in general) around the airport, since now it's only really AC as the legacy carrier. Once Canadian Pacific became Canadian, it was rare for YHZ to see wide bodies. Up until 1990 they had a morning wide body from YYZ, but after that it was just the 737's and the A320s.

I always thought it would be smart for an airline to build a market to Europe like Canadian Pacific was trying to do, but make the flight direct from YHZ. So they could do like AC - have the aircraft come in from say Montreal or Ottawa but then it would go back out to Amsterdam, Paris or Frankfurt a couple times a week. That way, they could build a market. I know AC did Frankfurt from Halifax twice a week from June 15 to September 28, 1998. It was AC 826 (827 inbound), operated using a 767-200ER, departing at 21:55.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
Urban Thinker

The airport really was quite the handsome building when it was built.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 12:34 AM

I always preferred to fly CP Air versus AC if I had the choice. Don't know why, it was just different. Maybe it was something ingrained in my head as a kid hearing about the CPR role in building the nation. The decline of the company is a real loss.

One of the things I remember about CP Air that was different from every other airline I ever rode was the drinks cart. Most airlines use those little 50ml miniatures for their booze. On CP Air they had fullsize bottles and the attendants would pour you a drink. If they liked you or if the flight was not very full they would give you a little extra. I sometimes thought a few had a little for themselves down in the galley.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2011, 12:52 AM

Found this on youtube about YHZ.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure