HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
We had a Coffee Dan's in West Covina when I was growing up there in the 1960s. It was at the extreme eastern end of the old West Covina Plaza. Coffee Dan's, like The Huddle further east on the San Bernardino Freeway, was a modern 'Googie' architectural classic. I thought I had a picture of it, but alas, if I did, I cannot find it, nor could I find any online.

In addition to the restaurant, the West Covina Coffee Dan's had a cocktail lounge. I wonder how many other of the chain's locations had a bar in it.

Maybe that part of the West Covina C.D.'s was called the WOODEN HORSE
as I'm guessing the GERONIMO RM. at this Coffee Dan's was a bar.

Flickr

Ebay

Which is what this part of the Coffee Dan's in Van Nuys was, the OUTRIGGER RM.:

Flickr

BigBroTiki

We've all bemoaned the vanishing of a place we've seen on this thread. A poster on the link HERE writes about the above Coffee Dan's/Outrigger Rm. on Van Nuys Blvd.:

...it's long long gone.... One of the reasons I got into architectural preservation in the first place. As a kid I was drawn to the mysterious vibe of the building and especially the colorful sign and bar lights. I remember asking my parents if we could go in - not understanding what a 'bar' was. (those were innocent times). They flatly said "no." When I went back to find it as an adult - it was gone...
It was on the east side of Van Nuys Blvd. (between Victory and Vanowen) in the heart of the San Fernando Valley and was torn down some 20 years ago for a mini mall parking lot! I believe it was designed by the illustrious firm of Armet and Davis.

I ended up writing a song about it. Here's the chorus:

"Tear up the Mona Lisa.
Burn the White House down.
Implode the Statue of Liberty
Melt her to the ground.
Destroy the county museum
We don't don't need that around.
'Cause Coffee Dan was my true love...
And I'll never see him again...
It's just another Starbucks town."

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 8:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Its a small detail but I noticed one thing. In the orange square I point out those nasty little metal garbage cans that everyone used to set on the curb each week. A truck would come by and dump the contents into their truck box. I remember my mother taught me how to line the little can with old newspaper pages. One page went into the floor of the can and the others were folded and placed around the inside. It was one of my many household chores.

The paper trash was burned in the ubiquitous backyard incinerator. During the summer of 1957, those smoke belching incinerator contraptions were banned in LA.

HIfiles
Oh the memories of garbage truck stench on collection day as they made their way past the house. My Mother often ran out to give the garbage men some sort of pastry or other eats to put into their lunchboxes; perhaps she knew better than us what a difficult and thankless job it was.

Dad bought our first house in the Atwater District of LA early in 1958; the incinerator was still in the back yard.

Andy1

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 11:06 PM

Sept. 12, 1926 -be sure to pan right-->

ebay
__

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 11:12 PM

Dead Penny
ebay

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 11:22 PM

Has anyone heard of Allan Lum's?

ebay
__

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
I think it's safe to say we are at an airport in a (San Fernando? Antelope?) valley location. The faint sign on the upper left front of the building says "Air Taxi Service" and the viewing stand on the roof would be good for watching planes land. The background suggests we're in a wide flat place suitable for an airstrip, with mountains in the far distance. And finally, the guy on the left looks like he's trying to pantomime something airplane-related.
Man, you are good Lorendoc! I totally missed the 'Air Taxi Service' sign, and didn't give a second thought to the young man's
outstretched arms. You are here-by awarded sleuth of the day.

ebay
__

Old Posted Nov 1, 2013, 11:29 PM
I Like Turtles!

Wait for it....wait for it....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Speaking of natural disasters, the following greeted me tonight on my commute home up to Lookout Mountain. This is Sunset Plaza Drive just above Sunset Boulevard. Cell phone camera is not helpful, but you get the general idea:

Well, cheese 'n crackers, Lorendoc! No wonder gravity won. It looks like that tree has been in slow-motion fall for awhile. I wonder how many parents warned their kids to never play near the tree?
Goole Maps

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks HossC! -you're awfully good at this.

Jan. 15, 1932 pan right--->

ebay

I was hoping to be able to read that street sign.
__
2201 Avon St., at Donaldson St., in Echo Park Los Angeles.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 12:06 AM

-yet another downpour, this time in Sept. of 1939.

ebay
__

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UphillDonkey View Post

GSV
ebay

Just amazing Uphilldonkey! How did you figure that out? -great job.
__

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 2:12 AM
BANNED

Mystery solved!

Quote:
UphillDonkey....you must have lived in this area or somehow are familiar with it.. How did you find the location? As ER said...amazing!!!

Now and then....

GSV

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Nov 2, 2013 at 3:15 AM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Its a small detail but I noticed one thing. In the orange square I point out those nasty little metal garbage cans that everyone used to set on the curb each week. A truck would come by and dump the contents into their truck box. I remember my mother taught me how to line the little can with old newspaper pages. One page went into the floor of the can and the others were folded and placed around the inside. It was one of my many household chores.

The paper trash was burned in the ubiquitous backyard incinerator. During the summer of 1957, those smoke belching incinerator contraptions were banned in LA.

HIfiles

CBD…somewhere in on the a previous page I have said just about the same word for word about the garbage cans and the incinerators.. haha…those were the days for sure….

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:57 AM

I hadn't seen a shot of the Capitol headquarters, either, unihikid. I also didn't realize how much "Wallich's" had been redesigned, if that's the right word, over the years, either. When Capitol moved into their iconic building up the street, their old studios became Dot Records.

About your Dad you said "Not any single from his Capitol years..." did he have others? Do you mind telling us his name? (Cool if you don't want to!)[/QUOTE]

Sure thing,his name was Bobby Sheen,had a group called Bob B Soxx and the Blue Jeans,which were signed to Philles Records.Dad got signed by Capitol in about 64, and his last single was in 68, "Shelter of Your Arms" and "Dr Love" are my favorite from that time period.Both are very collectible over in england where the "northern soul" stuff is big.He started of in the late 50s singing with The Robins and then met Phil....

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Man, you are good Lorendoc! I totally missed the 'Air Taxi Service' sign, and didn't give a second thought to the young man's
outstretched arms. You are here-by awarded sleuth of the day.

__
Thanks, but I relinquish the award to UphillDonkey

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 4:56 AM

Echo PARK

Quote:
2201 Avon St. at Donaldson St. in Echo Park. House is still there but has large rear extension and a wall around the front yard. The houses in the background are still there on Valentine St.
UD...I saw your reference to Echo Park, but I can't seem to match it back to another post...anyway, I grew up in Echo Park on Scott Ave. and went to Logan St. School....just wondered if your background is from there...

ok, thanks Google Earth...I see the house..but the question still goes, were/are you from the EP area...

Last edited by belmont bob; Nov 2, 2013 at 5:03 AM. Reason: duh

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:31 AM

Quote:
UphillDonkey....you must have lived in this area or somehow are familiar with it.. How did you find the location? As ER said...amazing!!!

Now and then....

GSV
I live in Los Feliz but am not familiar with this place. The topography suggested Echo Park with its steep valley sides but all i did was search for 2201 on every street with 4 letters in the Hollywood area, Myra, Vine, Ivar, June etc and eventually I got to Avon St.

Last edited by UphillDonkey; Nov 2, 2013 at 5:42 AM. Reason: Holly is 5 letters

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 7:36 AM

Lotus Garden Apartments in West Hollywood

This 14-unit building, built in 1928 and designed by William Hauptman, is at 1216 N. La Cienega, between Fountain and Sunset. It's near the lower left corner of this aerial view, the 2nd building north of Fountain on the east side of La Cienega:

Google Earth March 2011

From 1929; these views have been unavailable since 1931, when the apartment building to the south, El Palacio, was constructed:

LAPL -- http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics14/00026705.jpg
LAPL caption to above photos: "2 exterior views of the Lotus Garden Apartments, a two and three-story apartment building with elements of Chinese architecture located at 1216-24 La Cienega Boulevard in West Hollywood."

From La Cienega, February 2011; it looks like some of the original design elements are missing:

GSV

A courtyard shot; I think a piece of the metalwork at left, above the bamboo, has broken off:

Loopnet.com -- http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14012...-Hollywood-CA/

More info:
"Chinese-style courtyard apartment building . . . The property features the following original design elements: decorative banding, false beams, corbels, metal cresting, wood verge boards, peacked and undulating gables, wood window grilles and wood-frame large picture windows with segmental arched headers and square panes, smaller casement windows with unusual horizontal and rectangular panes, metal decorative plates affixed to the wood double front doors to each stair hall and vestibule, red tile with black insert squares, wood balconies, panel doors with hammered doorknobs, hand-finished plaster, antique lanterns, decorative Japanese metal relief insets, flush panel cabinets, glass knobs, countertops covered with small hexagonal tiles, wall-mounted sink faucets typical of 1920's apartment kitchens and bathroom floors covered in a pattern of small rectangular and square tiles."
Above from: http://www.kittywallaceteam.com/file...ain_avenue.pdf

It's Chinese-style but has Japanese metal relief inserts?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:03 PM

I love that places as esoteric as the Lotus Garden Apartments have survived after all these years.
Will it survive the new development that's going up at Sunset and La Cienega that was mentioned a few days ago?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 2, 2013 at 3:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 3:06 PM

Quote:
I live in Los Feliz but am not familiar with this place. The topography suggested Echo Park with its steep valley sides but all i did was search for 2201 on every street with 4 letters in the Hollywood area, Myra, Vine, Ivar, June etc and eventually I got to Avon St.
Now that's what I call dedication. I hope you stick around for a long time Uphilldonkey.
__

Old Posted Nov 2, 2013, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
How do I find the "city directories" listings?
The directories are located in the Visual Collections of the Los Angeles Public Library.

Go here Martin:
http://rescarta.lapl.org/ResCarta-We...cWebBrowse.jsp
__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos