HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post

Sorry for the duplicate posts. I wasn't sure how to correct the video feed issue and reposted instead of saved. Learning curve. Sorry
If you use the "Preview Post" button, you can see how your post will look without actually posting it. If it's not right, you don't need to press the "Submit Reply" button.

If you're having trouble, just ask.

As a reminder, you can edit your own posts indefinitely if you need to fix something.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
In the 1952 film "Monkey Business" Cary Grant buys a new red MGTD sports car and takes Marilyn Monroe on a nice ride. I was curious as to where the scene was shot. It didn't take too long because part of the business sign and the address number was visible in the shots. The location was, and still is, Santa Monica Ford at 1230 Santa Monica Blvd.
Video Link

Given that to insure consistent branding manufacturers have become strict about the design of the dealerships that sell their cars--an exception to this is the famous Casa de Cadillac--I wasn't surprised to find that a more modern building had supplanted the original Santa Monica Ford showroom structure. An old building on the lot, which may or may not have been the original showroom of Riley Ford, which SM Ford took over in 1948, still stands, however...even its weathervane is still on top.

GSV

MM looking a little stout in this clip, with unflattering dress detail not helping.. ...anyway there are some interesting location shots in that Monkey Business car sequence...maybe someone here is familiar with the neighborhoods....

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 5:37 PM

While we're in the area, I found this 1930 image of a Richfield station at 1601 Vine Street (that's the NW corner of Selma and Vine). There was still a gas station there in 1941, but the layout looks different on the aerial I posted yesterday. The building behind is on the south side of Selma.

USC Digital Library

The window under the large "AUTO" sign belongs to realtor Clifford F Reid at 6308 Selma Avenue (1931 CD). The windows to the right bear the name of engineers' suppliers DuBose & French Inc at 6310 Selma Avenue, and I can also see the word "[P]RINTS", which probably belonged to the Arrow Blue Print Co at the same address. The sign at the far left is for Pratt & Lambert Varnishes, which were distributed by the Mathews Paint Co at 1559 N Vine.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks Snix! I didn't think we were going to solve this one.

Aqua Caliente was a huge complex!

antiquegambling

As you can see...............................................................................................................................................................the campanile is #8

That big honkin' vase is still there.

laprensa

Agua Caliente WAS MASSIVE, sprawling over more than 650 acres. The original campanile was demolished. The one that stands there today (in the photo that ethereal_reality posted) is a half-scale replica that houses a horse racing hall of fame. You can glimpse the original in this trailer for the Busby Berkeley musical about the place called "In Caliente." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFVFujVTfDM I was married at Agua Caliente, and our wedding cake was shaped like the campanile.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
While we're in the area, I found this 1930 image of a Richfield station at 1601 Vine Street (that's the NW corner of Selma and Vine). There was still a gas station there in 1941, but the layout looks different on the aerial I posted yesterday. The building behind is on the south side of Selma.

USC Digital Library

The window under the large "AUTO" sign belongs to realtor Clifford F Reid at 6308 Selma Avenue (1931 CD). The windows to the right bear the name of engineers' suppliers DuBose & French Inc at 6310 Selma Avenue, and I can also see the word "[P]RINTS", which probably belonged to the Arrow Blue Print Co at the same address. The sign at the far left is for Pratt & Lambert Varnishes, which were distributed by the Mathews Paint Co at 1559 N Vine.

Here's another view of the corner--now the signage appears to include "Savoy" on the station's front, over the diamond pattern of openings--at 1601 in the 39CD is Savoy Auto Parks...in the 42CD, Standard Oil listed a station there.... The rent-a-car business is at 1605 in the building next to CBS (the little near building in Hoss's view).

Partial of a USCDL image...dated 1936 by it.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:01 PM

A gruesome if not exactly noirish accident happened at 1601 Vine Street not long after the Richfield station opened:

LAT March 20, 1932

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Here's another view of the corner--now the signage appears to include "Savoy" on the station's front, over the diamond pattern of openings--at 1601 in the 39CD is Savoy Auto Parks...in the 42CD, Standard Oil listed a station there.... The rent-a-car business is at 1605 in the building next to CBS (the little near building in Hoss's view).

Partial of a USCDL image...dated 1936 by it.
This Richfield station would later become The Curb drive-in and Molly's Charbroiler. There are several posts here with broken links. Here's one.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=10531

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:26 PM

As the sign says, Molly’s Burgers closed in 2011. There's some history here.

L.A. Taco

And back in 1981...

"Cowboys lead steers along Vine St. near Selma in Hollywood to call attention to the 12th Annual Forum Championship Rodeo to be held later in the day on May 21, 1981. Some Hollywood businesses: Celebrity Theater (1529-1559 N. Vine St.), Allstate Rent-A-car and Molly's are seen in the background and on the right side of the image."

LAPL

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:51 AM

Quote:
And back in 1981...

"Cowboys lead steers along Vine St. near Selma in Hollywood to call attention to the 12th Annual Forum Championship Rodeo to be held later in the day on May 21, 1981. Some Hollywood businesses: Celebrity Theater (1529-1559 N. Vine St.), Allstate Rent-A-car and Molly's are seen in the background and on the right side of the image."

LAPL
That is a fabulous photo!

For a couple of years I lived in an apartment that just happened to be on a street that served as a staging area for the Hollywood Christmas Parade. On the day of the parade, horses and riders started setting up camp very early in the morning on my block. It was enormously entertaining when one of the horses would whinny, because all of the dogs in the neighborhood would totally freak out, every last one of them barking and wailing like the end of the world was at hand. They sensed that the sound was coming from an alien creature they had never encountered before...OMG OMG OMG DANGER!!!! I wish I had recorded it.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:40 PM

Quote:

A gruesome if not exactly noirish accident happened at 1601 Vine Street not long after the Richfield station opened:

LAT March 20, 1932

This got me thinking about Edwin Goodell--apparently he was a couple of months shy of 23 (not 26 years old, as the article states)-- a sad Depression-era note in what seems to have started out well with his family driving across the country in a Model T in 1924 to start a new life in LA...

With his parents, Sarah ("Sadie") and Louis:

Both from ancestry

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
This got me thinking about Edwin Goodell--apparently he was a couple of months shy of 23 (not 26 years old, as the article states)-- a sad Depression-era note in what seems to have started out well with his family driving across the country in a Model T in 1924 to start a new life in LA...

Both from ancestry
Their travel expenses were approx. $2,100.00 in 2018 dollars. Also consider that a road trip in the 1920s was very different than it is in 2019. Poor roads, few if any motels,...the list is long.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snix View Post
This Richfield station would later become The Curb drive-in and Molly's Charbroiler.]

The Curb next to the (then) Huntington Hartford Theatre:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Here's a 1964 photograph of the theatre advertising The Best Man, by Gore Vidal. Also showing The Curb Charbroiler restaurant stand.

Bill Gabel

Quote:
And back in 1981...

LAPL

A couple years earlier, the opening scenes of The Jerk (1979) were filmed in front of the Huntington Hartford Theatre. Here's a then & now video of that location.

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 8:30 PM

I came across this building the other day and felt sure we must've seen it before, but my searches didn't find anything. The showroom in 1001 S Hope Street belongs to the Thor Pacific Co. On the left, the "USED CARS" sign belongs to Earle C Anthony's Packard dealership. In the background is the "HYDRIL" sign on the Petroleum Building.

New shot of building, 10th Street [Olympic Boulevard] and Hope Street, 1001 South Hope Street, Los Angeles, CA, 1931

Here's a close-up of the window signage and displays.

USC Digital Library

The image above is one of two in a set. I also found another set with two similar images from a little earlier, before the window displays were finished.

I wasn't expecting the building to still be there, but it looks like it survived until 1992. The demo permit mentions riot damage and arson. A note at the bottom says 'Bldg is not on the riot damage list, but "order to comply + inspector's report" verifying riot damage has been verified 7/8/92'.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 9:00 PM

originally posted by Martin Pal

You can catch a glimpse of 'THE CURB, Charbroiler in the photograph below. [1940?]

jaced.com

It looks like there's some renovation going on at the Huntington Theater.

R.I.P. Edwin Goodell.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 9:29 PM

And here's a noirish view of the Richfield Station. (which we've probably seen before)

facebook / so cal architecture

ED PYLE. Who dat?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 10:22 PM

Mom's Place?

This 2010 ARTICLE implies that Molly's Hamburgers is (was) located in a remnant of the Richfield Station.

"Molly's has history on its side. Originally opened in 1929 as part of a Richfield gas station, the stand was initially called Mom's Place.
In the 1950s, its name was changed to the Curb Charbroiler. The Molly's name dates from the 1960s."
fromLos Angeles Times

As much as I'd like that to be true...I doubt that it is.
Quote:

L.A. Taco

"Molly’s may have only been a shack, but it was a shack that the locals loved." L.A.TACO

The coup de grace is HossC's aerial.

December 21, 1941

There doesn't appear to a building in that spot.

_

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 10:27 PM

Well, ER, I think it's just not showing up well in the aerial--here's Hoss's image from his recent post50165

Molly's was in the building to the right, right? Or...was it a later structure in front of that one, closer to the Vine sidewalk?

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
And here's a noirish view of the Richfield Station. (which we've probably seen before)

facebook / so cal architecture

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=40362

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 11:24 PM

Quote:
That would be Edward J Pyle (married to Corinne H) who lived at 1347 N Orange Drive. He's only listed at the gas station in the 1936 CD, and by 1937 he's a manager at Savoy Corp (possibly the auto park people who had a site next to the gas station).

Interestingly, I found that there was an Edward P Pyle jr working across the street at an auto park at 1600 Vine in the early-30s. He lived at 9002 Rangely. I wonder if they were related/knew each other.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2019, 1:17 AM

Thanks for the information on Ed Pyle Hoss. I really appreciate it.

You see Tourmaline, even if we have seen a photograph before on NLA...by posting it again we might possibly learn something new.

And was this really necessary?

You not only changed my aside into BOLD letters....you also ENLARGED the letters to"3". Who does that to someone else's post?

Also, via the link you provided ...the Richfield photograph was the 18th of 20 photographs in BigRayRock's post. -The Richfield photo could have easily been missed.

The NLA thread is almost 10 years old / of course we're going to have reposts.

If you don't mind, let's retire this "Hey you reposted something" guy
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 6, 2019 at 9:21 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos