HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Dec 20, 2015, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL View Post
You mean this building here? https://goo.gl/maps/JxpB2PG5cwN2

It use to be the Youth Services Bureau building, before they moved.

The building is owned by Place d'Orleans - Elections Ontario and Elections Canada have been renting this building during the election period.
Before YSB and Work Place Ottawa(one of the now-defunct organizations that used to help job-hunters), I remember a comics/cards shop and before that, a Home Hardware location.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 1:49 AM

Looks like place d'Orléans wants to build a RBC bank at the intersection of place dorleans drive on their existing parking lot.

I guess the RBC at centrum will move there.

http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/...appId=__00US0B

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundas View Post
I noticed the ugly yellow building on St-Joseph Blvd next to the Auto Garage in front of the Goodlife in place dOrleans has been fenced off all around. I really hope they are planning on demolishing this place it's a hole thats been vacant for a long time.

Anyone know what the plan is here?
UPDATE: The building is being demolished.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Looks like place d'Orléans wants to build a RBC bank at the intersection of place dorleans drive on their existing parking lot.

I guess the RBC at centrum will move there.
That's my bank branch, even though I never go there anymore. It's a weird building. Two stories with no elevator which poses accessibility issue. The parking garage at the Centrum location is awkward and probably needs replacement due to salt damage.

Growing up my Dad said every Royal Bank has a lousy parking lot, and it's been true for the most part.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 3:32 PM

I always wanted to see something like the building at Hurontario and Lakeshore at the corner of St. Joseph and Place d'Orleans. It would give the area around Place d'Orleans more of a downtown or city centre feel. It even has an RBC in the podium. Maybe once LRT comes to Place d'Orleans we'll see developments like this.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2016, 2:30 AM

Remembering that the Royal Bank branch was supposed to be an anchor storefront for a smaller mall. The rest of which never did get built.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 7:31 PM

Noting that City Hall also has an application on file for a second single-story retail box to be built right at the Champlain/Place d'Orléans intersection, directly across the north gateway from the Transitway station. No word therein on who the preferred tenant(s) would be. Yet.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEWLine View Post
Noting that City Hall also has an application on file for a second single-story retail box to be built right at the Champlain/Place d'Orléans intersection, directly across the north gateway from the Transitway station. No word therein on who the preferred tenant(s) would be. Yet.
Query D07-12-16-0096 on http://app01.ottawa.ca/postingplans/home.jsf?lang=en

It's a new Mastermind Toy store, as revealed in the report titled D07-12-16-0096 Site Servicing and Stormwater Management Report.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2016, 10:29 PM

It's amazing how poorly Transit Oriented Development is understood in Ottawa... Our transit stations are all surrounded by seas of asphalt and anytime parcels get redeveloped its just more single storey retail. Doesn't help that the lands are mostly owned and operated by REITs which don't have a clue what mixed-use means apparently. Shouldn't they have vested interests in extracting the great ROI on these lands? Don't they understand how badly they keep underdevelopping?

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElieB View Post
Doesn't help that the lands are mostly owned and operated by REITs which don't have a clue what mixed-use means apparently. Shouldn't they have vested interests in extracting the great ROI on these lands? Don't they understand how badly they keep underdevelopping?
RioCan does... hence all the redevelopment proposals for their lands at Westgate, Elmvale, the strip mall by Blair Station, and soon, Lincoln Fields.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 1:38 AM

Someone turn that closed down bagel shop at the 174 exit into a midsize highrise. It would be pretty nice to see that!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 2:38 PM

I wonder what the demand for these projects would be. I'm not sure how many people want to live in shopping mall parking lots. Blair seems the most likely to succeed because there are actual amenities beyond transit nearby.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 12:33 AM

Are there any successful redevelopments that have occurred in Canada without demolishing the entire site?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 1:40 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
Are there any successful redevelopments that have occurred in Canada without demolishing the entire site?
The Woodward's condo development in Vancouver?

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 2:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
I wonder what the demand for these projects would be. I'm not sure how many people want to live in shopping mall parking lots. Blair seems the most likely to succeed because there are actual amenities beyond transit nearby.
A condo in a parking lot walking distance to:
No frills (loblaws)
Farmboy
Goodlife
Tim hortons
Shoppers
3 major banks
And all the stores in Place d'Orléans
That's pretty good I think, a LCBO would be a good addition to the area

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
A condo in a parking lot walking distance to:
No frills (loblaws)
Farmboy
Goodlife
Tim hortons
Shoppers
3 major banks
And all the stores in Place d'Orléans
That's pretty good I think, a LCBO would be a good addition to the area
I guess that might appeal to some seniors, although townhouse prices in Orleans are pretty low, so condo buyers would have to really want a condo lifestyle and not care about a view or parkland.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 7:09 PM

Quote:
It is notable that all of RioCan's projects are rentals, not condos. That said, it's probably because as a REIT they need annual profits.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Depending on the design and the staging of such a conversion project, they either wouldn't be "living in a shopping mall parking lot", or, at least, wouldn't be doing so for very long.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2016, 12:19 AM

Primaris really doesn't get it. They haven't gotten the floor space inside the main building rented out fully at the moment and they want to add "out-buildings" for new tenants.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 2:45 AM

To me it seems like they got the right idea.
They want to fill a portion of their oversized parking lot used by "park and ride" cars into money making out-buildings.
The tenant is a RBC with a drive-thru ATM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs