HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 4:46 PM
you know my steez

^I just threw up on my keyboard. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 8:47 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdad View Post
This is a different type of dev for this area I believe

http://chelseacreek.ca/project.php
Interesting that on the map they show autoroute 50 in behind the development. There is no highway there right now.. maybe the developer knows something the MTQ doesn't?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:25 PM

re:chelsea creek

I think thats autoroute 5 in the plan. Its just off the 5 at the old chelsea overpass

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 7:50 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysdad View Post
I think thats autoroute 5 in the plan. Its just off the 5 at the old chelsea overpass
5 is there, yes, but they also show "50" right to the south of it.. and it doesn't exist (well, not yet anyway)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:07 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
5 is there, yes, but they also show "50" right to the south of it.. and it doesn't exist (well, not yet anyway)

I found this on Gatineau's webite (on their official plan page under transportation)
http://www.ville.gatineau.qc.ca/urba...planp05_07.jpg

(map is too big to post here)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:14 PM
Mooderator

^ Yeah, I believe that is their long-term plan, but I don't think it will be completed for a long time to come. I just found it odd that this site would show this tiny part of the proposed extension as an existing road. If you check google maps, they don't show it..

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...wloc=addr&om=1

actually, now that I think of it.. someone mentioned on here before that extension though Gatineau Park and Aylmer/Ottawa River Parkway will never see the light of day.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:24 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
^ Yeah, I believe that is their long-term plan, but I don't think it will be completed for a long time to come. I just found it odd that this site would show this tiny part of the proposed extension as an existing road. If you check google maps, they don't show it..

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en...wloc=addr&om=1

actually, now that I think of it.. someone mentioned on here before that extension though Gatineau Park and Aylmer/Ottawa River Parkway will never see the light of day.
That's pretty bizzare, I guess it's probably some bad data. On the bottom right of the developers map it says Tele-Atlas, but Google Maps link shows the map data is from Navteq...the developer's map does have some elements of custom programming, so they are probably using the Google Maps API. The Google Maps API uses Tele-Atlas data, rather than Navteq so probably Tele-Atlas made a mistake

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:30 PM
Mooderator

I'm thinking the developers added it manually to entice buyers (ooh, two freeways? honey, look at this!).. or maybe there's some backdoor shenanigans going on with the city/province (build this highway and we'll build this development or vice-versa)

Old Posted Nov 16, 2007, 8:36 PM
National Capital Region

^ Here's a site that compares Teleatlas and Navteq.. (click on the top right to switch)
http://uwmike.com/maps/source/?ll=45...75.773907&z=13

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:08 PM
National Capital Region

minto's mahagony community in manotick open house presentation
and questions and answers

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 2:02 AM
Still optimistic

can anyone find something on Aylmer's development?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 7:22 PM
Mooderator

Old Posted Jan 15, 2008, 5:52 PM
Awesome!

Thanks to Waterloowarrior, I've checked the Shad Qadri's site and quite a lot of applications for residential developments from say the newly extension of Stittsville Main Street to almost Terry Fox Drive with other applications on the western end of Stittsville on Westridge as well as in the south on Fernbank not to mention also the proposed Fernbank subdivision. http://www.shadqadri.com/planning.htm#residential

There is also a possible development planned, albeit small since a lot of the lands are occupied there since several years already north of Fallowfield and Strandherd just east of the 416 and west of Cedarview. http://www.barrhavenbia.ca/notices.htm
"However, the Leafs have not won the Cup since 1967, giving them the longest-active Cup drought in the NHL, and thus are the only Original Six team that has not won the Cup since the 1967 NHL expansion." Favorite phrase on the Toronto Maple Leafs Wikipedia page.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cre47 View Post
Thanks to Waterloowarrior, I've checked the Shad Qadri's site and quite a lot of applications for residential developments from say the newly extension of Stittsville Main Street to almost Terry Fox Drive with other applications on the western end of Stittsville on Westridge as well as in the south on Fernbank not to mention also the proposed Fernbank subdivision. http://www.shadqadri.com/planning.htm#residential

There is also a possible development planned, albeit small since a lot of the lands are occupied there since several years already north of Fallowfield and Strandherd just east of the 416 and west of Cedarview. http://www.barrhavenbia.ca/notices.htm
The new extension of Stittsville Main Street (I assume you mean at the north end near Hazeldean) has been in the works for about 1.5 years now. People have moved into their freshly moonblasted surroundings. The Fernbank subdivision is more of a long term thing.

Having been involved in a couple of projects in Stittsville, the place strikes me as the reluctant offspring of Ottawa...they don't want any part of the urban life that the greater Ottawa area enjoys...they just want to be left alone in their community of single family homes with poor public transit service(and they like it that way).

IIRC, there is a stacked TH project likely to go to the OMB in Stittsville. The nearby residents were opposed to something like 32 stacked TH's (16 pairings of 2 units). The local Councillor (Shad) rallied the troops after it passed at PEC and was overturned by the full Council.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2008, 3:42 AM
Progressive Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynnog View Post
Having been involved in a couple of projects in Stittsville, the place strikes me as the reluctant offspring of Ottawa...they don't want any part of the urban life that the greater Ottawa area enjoys...they just want to be left alone in their community of single family homes with poor public transit service(and they like it that way).
It's like Ottawa's own little slice of Americana.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 1:01 AM
National Capital Region

Mahogany Manotick going to next Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee meeting (recommendation for approval - 1400 units, up to 25% multiples)

Old Posted Jan 18, 2008, 1:22 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=waterloowarrior;3290397]Mahogany Manotick going to next Agriculture and Rural Affairs Committee meeting (recommendation for approval - 1400 units, up to 25% multiples)

Thanks for the heads up on this one. Despite what a persons position is on this subdivision, it takes a lot of effort on either side to see a project like this through to the end in order to consider how all the various pieces of the puzzle all fit together. I find it a bit rich that existing Manotickers are bemoaning this proposed subdivision as cookie cutter sprawl etc, as my recollection of the lands to the north are that they represent McMansions on large open lots with lots of grass.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2008, 1:09 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Committee rejects Minto's Manotick plans
Patrick DareOttawa Citizen
Thursday, January 24, 2008

Citizens fighting a huge expansion of Manotick booed city staff and cheered their leaders Thursday night as they argued for the preservation of the community's village feel.

About 200 residents showed up at the city's rural and agricultural affairs committee at Tudor Hall as the committee considered the Mahogany community Minto Developments wants to build. After a seven-hour meeting, the committee voted 4-2 to reject Minto's proposal. The issue will be debated by full council on Feb. 13.

Several times, the committee's chairman, Councillor Rob Jellett, asked the crowd to stop cheering and jeering, to no avail. The Minto plan has hit a nerve with many of the community's 1,750 residents.

Minto wants to build a new community on 430 acres the company owns in Manotick. The land is bounded by Century Road, First Line Road and Manotick's Main Street.

Yesterday, the city's planning staff told councillors to approve the plan, which would see 1,400 houses go up, including single-family homes, townhouses and semis.

An additional 350 homes, in phases six and seven, could be built at a later date. Minto originally wanted to build 2,000 houses on its land.

City planner Myles Mahon acknowledged that the community's road system is at capacity. But he said key changes were made to the original plan, including the preservation of a woodlot and a more gradual staging of development, as well as design guidelines to make the houses fit in better. Phase 2 of the development would only proceed when measures to increase transportation capacity are complete.

Many citizens who showed up at the meeting weren't impressed.

Speaker after speaker argued against Minto's project, saying the development would destroy the scale and ambiance of the community.

"Manotick is a rural village. It's not a suburb," said Brian Tansley, president of the West Manotick Community Association. He said Manotick is a historic village that cannot keep its "sense of place" by doubling its size in 10 years.

Susan Boucher said the development would "effectively kill the village as we know it today." She said council has an obligation to support what residents want and they don't want the development.

Mary Findlater, waving a sign that said "a village speaks," said the development will make the community suburban, while Tom Levasseur said he fears "rows and rows of houses on postage-sized lots."

Residents also said they fear the increased traffic from development, saying that ambulances, fire trucks and police cars will have difficulty getting to people in need during heavy traffic periods.

But opposition to the development isn't unanimous.

Mike O'Neil, president of the Manotick Community Association, said there is some support in the community for the development. He said Manotick needs some of the things that come with development, such as community buildings. As an example, he noted that Manotick didn't have a meeting hall big enough to accommodate Thursday night's gathering.

Jack Stirling, vice-president of land development for Minto, said some residents didn't attend the meeting because they fear reprisals if they speak out in support of the development.

He said one of the builder's key disagreements with residents is over how many houses Minto can build on the land within the existing municipal secondary plan. He said residents believe it only allows for 250, but the company believes it allows many more.

Mr. Stirling said Minto will go to great lengths to ensure the new housing fits into Manotick, using materials such as wood and design guidelines with a more rural look.

Mr. Stirling said if the city approves the development, Minto could start building by late 2009. It plans to build about 150 houses a year.

Any appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board could push construction to 2011.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 3:10 AM
National Capital Region

Chelsea Creek...
Quote:
Housing project to triple size of Old Chelsea

200-home 'green' community planned

DAVE ROGERS, Ottawa Citizen

Published: Tuesday, January 29, 2008

One of the Gatineau Park's most picturesque villages is about to triple in size with the addition of a 200-home "sustainable and green" community.

The Chelsea Creek housing project, to be built on a farm near the entrance to Gatineau Park, at Highway 5 and Old Chelsea Road, will include 46 two-storey condominiums, 73 single homes, 81 units of senior citizen housing and a mixture of shops and offices.

But what makes this development unique will be its green philosophy. It will promote car sharing, cycling, water conservation and the use of recycled and reclaimed building materials. Vinyl siding will be banned and much of the development will have a district heating system using central ground source heat pumps.

Mayor Jean Perras said the development will change the face of Old Chelsea. He said greater housing density will require the construction of a sewage lagoon, probably on Mill Street near the Gatineau River. Most Chelsea homes and businesses now use septic tanks and private wells, but they won't be allowed in the new part of Old Chelsea because the lots will be too small to accommodate them.

Charles Cardinal, a spokesman for the municipality, said the Chelsea Creek sewage system may be linked to a municipal sewage lagoon that will be constructed for the existing part of Old Chelsea. Mr. Cardinal said the federal and provincial governments will pay most of the $6-million cost of the Old Chelsea sewage lagoon and a similar system in the Farm Point area.

Developer Mark Shank said 55 homes were planned on the 83-acre farm in 2004, but new provincial regulations allow higher density where there are communal services. Water for the development will come from a central well.

Meanwhile, Gatineau Park activist Jean-Paul Murray said land for the development is a wildlife corridor used by animals living in Gatineau Park.

"That is urbanization of what was a small town," Mr. Murray said. "Deer and bears walk across Highway 5 to get to that corridor. When 200 houses are built on that land it, will become more like Kanata.

"We are losing something that is precious for a lot of Ottawans who go there for peace and quiet. That is disappearing more and more now."

A public meeting on the housing project is scheduled at 7:30 p.m. Thursday Jan. 31, at Chelsea Community Centre on Old Chelsea Road. More details are available on the developer's website: www.chelseacreek.ca.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2008, 2:30 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
The Chelsea Creek housing project, to be built on a farm near the entrance to Gatineau Park, at Highway 5 and Old Chelsea Road, will include 46 two-storey condominiums, 73 single homes, 81 units of senior citizen housing and a mixture of shops and offices.
At first glance, I thought that said "two 46-storey condominiums"!

This is what happens when you don't have your morning coffee.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs