HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 2:14 PM

With all the outdoor patios downtown being followed up by expanded outdoor public spaces like parking lots being turned into seating areas (looking at you Murray's Premise beach bar), it's truly been spectacular to see downtown finally realize its potential. It feels lively like a downtown should, and it's not just foot traffic from tourists or people just passing by.

I can't see any way which the city can not do this again every summer moving forward. Maybe next year we can get extended months (June through September?). It would also be nice to see more patio options for restaurants on Duckworth Street so they're not left out, even though some have already done it.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
With all the outdoor patios downtown being followed up by expanded outdoor public spaces like parking lots being turned into seating areas (looking at you Murray's Premise beach bar), it's truly been spectacular to see downtown finally realize its potential. It feels lively like a downtown should, and it's not just foot traffic from tourists or people just passing by.

I can't see any way which the city can not do this again every summer moving forward. Maybe next year we can get extended months (June through September?). It would also be nice to see more patio options for restaurants on Duckworth Street so they're not left out, even though some have already done it.
Agree. There's one thing that baffled me Wednesday when I was down. A couple of Harbour Drive parking spaces were reserved for a food truck, yet in front of Atlantic Place and the banks, there is this huge bare area with a few picnic tables. Seems like a natural fit for 2 or 3 food trucks?

SMH

Old Posted Aug 10, 2020, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
It's great to see interest in developments.... but I still can't help but feel another missed opportunity to create some density. It'd be great to have two 15-18 story towers as opposed to a bunch of horizontal buildings. That would open the opportunity for more green space and usable land. Maybe developers are getting tired of the grief that's caused by proposing something higher than 6 stories.
I may have said this here in years past, excuse me for repeating myself, but wouldn't it be great if MUN (and or private developers through MUN) created a "student village" on the shores of Long Pond. A series of mid rise (6 to 8 to 10 story towers) around a common area, replacing the series of 2-4 story buildings there now.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
I may have said this here in years past, excuse me for repeating myself, but wouldn't it be great if MUN (and or private developers through MUN) created a "student village" on the shores of Long Pond. A series of mid rise (6 to 8 to 10 story towers) around a common area, replacing the series of 2-4 story buildings there now.
Yes, that is a nice concept. It would make for a more metro look around that part of the university and better use of the area. Maybe have a commons ground/green space similar to the new residences on the Elizabeth Ave side. The Long Pond walking trail is nearby - great potential here... just need the funds... which is the most difficult part.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 3:32 PM

ReImagine Churchill Square Document

The Reimagine Churchill Sq. document now available on city's website

https://www.engagestjohns.ca/re-imag...urchill-square

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 5:50 PM

Does anyone have any information on the proposed parking garage at the Health Sciences Centre that is being build as part of the new Adult Mental Health facility?

I was in that way last week and there is activity at the far reaches of the site, near Roland MacDonald House; please don't tell me that is the new garage, if it is it will be a 5 minute walk to the HSC. Perhaps it is something else.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Does anyone have any information on the proposed parking garage at the Health Sciences Centre that is being build as part of the new Adult Mental Health facility?

I was in that way last week and there is activity at the far reaches of the site, near Roland MacDonald House; please don't tell me that is the new garage, if it is it will be a 5 minute walk to the HSC. Perhaps it is something else.
That is the site of the parking garage.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2020, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
That is the site of the parking garage.
I was afraid that was the case. Does this make any sense at all? Looks like a decision made by someone who has never had to park at the HSC.
"Let's think this through, who visits the HSC, the elderly, those needing care, hey, why don't we make them park as far away from the building as possible"
The logical spot would have been to build on the main lot that is there now (or a portion of it). Yes, it would have been disruptive for a couple of years but in the end it would have provided an easy access garage close to all facilities.
(shaking head !!)

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
I was afraid that was the case. Does this make any sense at all? Looks like a decision made by someone who has never had to park at the HSC.
"Let's think this through, who visits the HSC, the elderly, those needing care, hey, why don't we make them park as far away from the building as possible"
The logical spot would have been to build on the main lot that is there now (or a portion of it). Yes, it would have been disruptive for a couple of years but in the end it would have provided an easy access garage close to all facilities.
(shaking head !!)
From what I've heard (and please don't quote me on this) the parking garage is for staff parking. I'm not sure if there are plans to convert some of the current staff space to patient parking?? I looked at the renderings of the new mental health facility but can't remember if there was designated patient parking for that site.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 12:06 PM

It makes a little more sense that it would be for staff; that surface lot was for staff as were the others on the north side of the road. If that is the case then that should free up one of the remaining staff lots for the general public. Not ideal but a step in the right direction.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2020, 1:28 PM

It's supposedly a 1000-space parking garage....so it will be adding a lot new spaces.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 12:22 PM

Put this in the wrong thread. BMO has a new building planned for Water St.

https://www.collierscanada.com/en-CA...ada/CAN2006576

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:23 PM

Construction started around August so I would imagine it won't take too long before it rises above the construction fence. Too bad the design is a tad boring and that it isn't a floor or two higher. I suppose it is still better than the Fabulous 50's club that was on that site.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:56 PM

Canopy Growth has cancelled their plans for the massive White Hills facility in St. John's.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2020, 4:58 PM

What a great place to grow CUCUMBERS !!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 9:34 PM

Happy New Year YYT

Happy New Year YYT'ers

Let's hope things pick up

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 3:59 PM

Not much on the go these days, we should soon be seeing the BMO building downtown rise above the fence as well as the new apartment building in Churchill Square but I can't think of anything else of any significance underway. I don't expect to see any activity related to the JAG expansion and concert hall for years to come. I guess we will just have to be satisfied with the next Shoppes at Galway store.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Not much on the go these days, we should soon be seeing the BMO building downtown rise above the fence as well as the new apartment building in Churchill Square but I can't think of anything else of any significance underway. I don't expect to see any activity related to the JAG expansion and concert hall for years to come. I guess we will just have to be satisfied with the next Shoppes at Galway store.
I have to agree with you. I think COVID alone shelved many of the projects slated to start over the next couple of years. Hopefully just a delay for some and we see them floating up to the surface again, maybe in 2022??? As for the Jag expansion I think that one is a few years out at best given the dumpster fire of a year hotels and hospitality services went through. Fingers crossed for a pick up throughout the year....

Old Posted Jan 5, 2021, 7:13 PM

Dean McDonald is ramping up his quest to purchase Mike One Centre from the city.

Here is the vocm news link:
https://vocm.com/2021/01/05/114247/

He also has a new link explaining all of the updates and changes he would make to Mile One if he owned it. www.newmileone.com

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:46 PM

The City should be jumping at the chance to offload this white elephant, why are they dragging this out. The second KPMG report probably won't go before Council until Feb after which they have indicated they will want to go to an RFP to see if there is any other interest. Give that a few months to play out and then a few more month for Council to kick the can down the road.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's