HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

In fairness to Kawhi Leonard and other pro athletes, if they lose their edge they're kicked outta there without any second thoughts from their team and those teams usually don't give a damn about them after they've let them go. And leagues have strongly resisted any player moves related to long-term injuries and conditions that they may suffer as a result of taking part in certain sports.

That doesn't necessarily mean that I weep that much for multi-millionaire pro athletes. Just bringing a little balance into the discussion.

One can't blame most of them for trying to get it when the gettin's good.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:08 PM

There is a very popular edgelord mindset I've noticed where players are praised for taking every cent they can get and that any fan who thinks there is more to the equation are derided as suckers and patsies. A lot of sportswatchers think this way, including some people here.

While I don't think that we should go back to the days of players being chattel there to earn money for wealthy owners, the amount of control that owners and now increasingly, players have does make me wonder if fans (or the paying ones, at least) aren't the ones getting the shaft these days. Fans are asked to make a major emotional and financial investment in their teams, and there is effectively zero loyalty in return.

There are probably a lot of rousseaus out there who feel shafted by this turn of events in Toronto. The good news for the NBA is that it doesn't matter right now given the levels of fan mania out there. But in the long run it could hurt them.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
There is a very popular edgelord mindset I've noticed where players are praised for taking every cent they can get and that any fan who thinks there is more to the equation are derided as suckers and patsies. A lot of sportswatchers think this way, including some people here.

While I don't think that we should go back to the days of players being chattel there to earn money for wealthy owners, the amount of control that owners and now increasingly, players have does make me wonder if fans (or the paying ones, at least) aren't the ones getting the shaft these days. Fans are asked to make a major emotional and financial investment in their teams, and there is effectively zero loyalty in return.

There are probably a lot of rousseaus out there who feel shafted by this turn of events in Toronto. The good news for the NBA is that it doesn't matter right now given the levels of fan mania out there. But in the long run it could hurt them.
So far the cases of fans actually sticking it to teams or owners for their blatant disloyalty and ingratitude are rare. The one example that comes to mind (and is close to home) is the giant middle finger that Montreal and Quebec gave to MLB and the Expos after the cancelled season in 1994 and the subsequent fire sale of most of the team's star players.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:48 PM
arf

^The St. Louis Blues fans really stayed away from the stadium with the previous set of owners.

"An NHL lockout canceled the 2004-05 season and the Lauries put the team up for sale in June 2005, citing losses of more than $60 million over the previous two years. As the team lingered on the shelf, management further demoralized the fan base by streamlining the books and trading its high-salaried players. Pronger, Doug Weight and Mike Sillinger were all sent packing. Attendance plummeted, from 18,560 a game in 2003-04 to 12,520 in 2006-07." Blues' ownership: A colorful history ~St. Louis Post Dispatch

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Of course some players do come to embody the team and become civic icons too. And of course without players, there is no team.

What Kawhi Leonard represents for the Raptors is a far cry from Larry Bird for the Celtics, Magic Johnson for the Lakers or Michael Jordan for the Bulls.
This is all the more reason Toronto needs to embrace and celebrate Lowry now. Is he as good as any of those players? Absolutely not. But he's been with the Raptors through the good and the bad, and as far as the fans should be concerned he's the King of the North right now. Get him some murals, yo.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
This is all the more reason Toronto needs to embrace and celebrate Lowry now. Is he as good as any of those players? Absolutely not. But he's been with the Raptors through the good and the bad, and as far as the fans should be concerned he's the King of the North right now. Get him some murals, yo.
I would agree with that.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Did I dream or is there a Kawhi mural in Toronto?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 4:29 PM

I know this has been said but...

Kawhi deserves the accolades he received. Re-instated Superstar comeback from injury.

But the care and feeding of that comeback wasn't just his own. The front office, coaching staff, medical/training staff, teammates... even dizzy fan support... made a huge contribution obviously.

Not many organizations could help this very unique individual soar (back) to MVP.

Now that he's home in L.A. and banked his mega-millions... championship notwithstanding... I do think he owes the Raptors/fan some kinda of extra thanks. Be it a corny full page ad in a newspaper, half a dozen new city ball courts, or a modest cut of his salary ;-)

He should break his legendary silence and say a personal good bye... give back a bit of what was given to him. He gave us a lot, but he was given as much (more?) in return.

And the Raptors often forgotten core had a very solid winning percentage when he was being cared for (not playing).

We all like to be appreciated of course. But maybe like many I'm just feeling rejected lol.

P.S. a thanks tweet won't cut it imo ;-)

*Just noticed online he said "good bye and thanks" to the Spurs after the trade to Toronto... and was mostly slagged as a quitter (faked injury etc). Maybe silence is golden...

Last edited by Maldive; Jul 11, 2019 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:14 PM

I agree, a message to Toronto fans would go a long way. Similar to how much better Lebron handled his return to Cleveland with the Sports Illustrated piece.

Kawhi mentioned during the playoffs that this year was the most fun he's had playing basketball. A small written piece in a full-page ad in the star mentioning something like that would be a good send-off. It's typically done by long-term, face-of-the-franchise type players, but this was a unique situation and it would show some gratitude for the organization and the city that supported him as best as anyone could of.

It's his decision though and he doesn't come off as a guy who wants to drag out this process.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maldive View Post
I know this has been said but...

Kawhi deserves the accolades he received. Re-instated Superstar comeback from injury.

But the care and feeding of that comeback wasn't just his own. The front office, coaching staff, medical/training staff, teammates... even dizzy fan support... made a huge contribution obviously.

Not many organizations could help this very unique individual soar (back) to MVP.

Now that he's home in L.A. and banked his mega-millions... championship notwithstanding... I do think he owes the Raptors/fan some kinda of extra thanks. Be it a corny full page ad in a newspaper, half a dozen new city ball courts, or a modest cut of his salary ;-)

He should break his legendary silence and say a personal good bye... give back a bit of what was given to him. He gave us a lot, but he was given as much (more?) in return.

And the Raptors often forgotten core had a very solid winning percentage when he was being cared for (not playing).

We all like to be appreciated of course. But maybe like many I'm just feeling rejected lol.

P.S. a thanks tweet won't cut it imo ;-)

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 8:59 PM

Too late for a heartfelt goodbye now.

It's not so much that he left, it's that he left in such an underhanded way. He's supposedly serious about coming back to Toronto for 2 more seasons, but behind the scenes he is trying to recruit players to play with him in L.A. A full page ad or whatever would just make things worse at this point

When's the next CBA, because I can see a very long work stoppage next time around. Like miss the whole season long. These players are arrogant spoiled brats.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 10:40 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Too late for a heartfelt goodbye now.

It's not so much that he left, it's that he left in such an underhanded way. He's supposedly serious about coming back to Toronto for 2 more seasons, but behind the scenes he is trying to recruit players to play with him in L.A. A full page ad or whatever would just make things worse at this point

I have a sneaking suspicion that he never had any real intention of staying here, and the "leaks" about him re-signing were just intended to be used as leverage to get the Clippers to make some trades for his preferred teammate.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 11:14 PM

This indication is that if they didnt get Paul George he was staying. He wanted to win, and he felt that Paul George on the Clippers was enough to do that.

I dont get where this sense of entitlement is coming from. This is a player who wasn't drafted, signed, or had any sort of verbal commitment with the Raptors. He literally did the most you can ask of a player you initially traded for as a rental to win a championship.

Like go back and read the posts in this thread from last year. Everyone said it was worth trading away DeRozan for a guy who will probably leave if we won. That exact scenario happened and now everyone has apparently revised their expectations.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 12:21 AM

Derozan has one more year in San Antonio, I would love to see him back. It wont happen, but Lowrey and him are the closest thing the Raptors have had to Franchise players.

Siakam is the future for the team and to be fair to this team they went 19-5 without KL last year (We will miss Danny Green).

Old Posted Jul 12, 2019, 8:27 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
Derozan has one more year in San Antonio, I would love to see him back. It wont happen, but Lowrey and him are the closest thing the Raptors have had to Franchise players.

Nah. As with most Raptors fans, DeRozan always have a special place in my heart, but he's just not good enough to be the team's star player or to justify a $30 million/year salary. Sooner or later he was going to have to go if the Raptors ever wanted to make it out of the Eastern Conference.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2019, 7:15 PM

Report: Canadian Bennett, Rockets have deal
TSN.ca Staff July 13 2019

Former No. 1 overall pick Canadian Anthony Bennett has agreed to a non-guaranteed deal with the Houston Rockets, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic and Stadium.

The 26-year old forward, who spent last season with the Agua Caliente Clippers, the G League affiliate of the Los Angeles Clippers, averaged 12.2 points and 4.6 rebounds per game. Bennett, who was drafted first overall by the Cleveland Cavaliers in 2013, hasn't appeared in NBA regular season game since the 2016-17 season when he played with the Brooklyn Nets.

Besides the Cavaliers and Nets, the Brampton, Ont., native has also played with the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Toronto Raptors in his four previous season in the NBA. He holds career averages of 4.4 points and 3.1 rebounds.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2019, 7:08 PM

https://www.thestar.com/halifax/2019...er-league.html

Quote:
But in the team’s final game — a 108-102 defeat to the Philadelphia 76ers on July 12 — Wigginton showcased his skill set and why he was considered for last month’s NBA draft.

The 21-year-old was the Raptors starting point guard and finished with a team-high 26 points on 8-of-12 shooting. He also had three steals, three assists and two rebounds in 31 minutes of court time.

He also made the play of the game when he lost his defender on a sweet behind the back crossover then made good on a jump shot despite taking a hard foul. Wigginton also showed his ability to be a playmaker when he drove to the basket and delivered a no-look pass to fellow Canadian Chris Boucher from the corner.
Quote:
Wigginton, 21, was bypassed in June’s NBA draft, but his pre-draft workout with the Raptors was good enough to land him a contract and spot on the club’s Summer League roster. Now, the Nova Scotian will be looking to earn a place on the main roster for the upcoming season, a position his former coach Colter Simmonds believes is attainable.

“If they tend to develop for the future, I think it would be a good idea to take him,” Simmonds told Star Halifax last week. “He just needs to have more reps playing at the point guard spot on a permanent basis. He has everything else. The things he needs only come with time.”

No one from Nova Scotia has ever played in an NBA game, meaning all eyes from the east coast are on Wigginton when he steps on the court.

Last season at Iowa State, he averaged more than 13 points a game despite missing about 10 games due to a foot injury. Wigginton came off the bench much of the year, but was always a key player down the stretch in games for a team which made national headlines by winning the Big 12 championship this season.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 10:35 PM

Canada suffers more blows as Murray, Gilgeous-Alexander won't play in China
Point guards join Wiggins, Thompson, Barrett as players not competing at World Cup
Lori Ewing The Canadian Press Aug 05 2019

It was supposed to be the summer Canada's top basketball talent finally stepped up to the plate, when the toughest task for the team's staff would have been selecting a squad from the deepest talent pool in history.

That task might have meant cutting an NBA player. It would have been a good problem to have.

But as the Canadian men's team tipped off its pre-FIBA World Cup training camp on Monday morning, the talk — again — was more about who wasn't there than who was.

Along with Andrew Wiggins of the Minnesota Timberwolves, who already was ruled out, several other prominent Canadian players won't play for Canada, including Denver guard Jamal Murray, New York Knicks rookie RJ Barrett, Cleveland's Tristan Thompson, Dwight Powell of the Dallas Mavericks, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander of Oklahoma City, and Nickeil Alexander-Walker of the New Orleans Pelicans.

"Obviously, we would love to have every single person here and put the best roster we could, but sometimes the group of guys you put out there, you need the sum of the whole to be greater than its parts," said Miami Heat centre Kelly Olynyk. "Anybody who wanted to come, we'd gladly have them, but we've gotta rock with who's here."

Olynyk, Joseph mainstays

Barrett pulled out with a calf strain, while Murray said he injured his ankle a couple of days ago. Both are at camp but won't travel with the team. Memphis Grizzlies swingman Dillon Brooks, whose NBA season was cut short by a foot injury, was also at camp Monday but not participating.

Olynyk and Sacramento guard Cory Joseph have become mainstays of the national program. The 27-year-old Joseph has given up a good chunk of every summer since he was 15 to pull on the Canadian jersey.

Why?

"Just the guys, the guys that I grew up with who are from the same places I'm from, who can relate to how I grew up, I think those memories and stories that we build on the road makes it fun playing basketball with all of them," Joseph said.

Olynyk and Joseph headline a 19-player roster that includes NBAers Khem Birch (Orlando Magic), Chris Boucher (Toronto Raptors), and Oshae Brissett (Raptors). Canada's original camp invitation included 29 players.

Day 1 for coach Nurse

The Canadians will host Nigeria in exhibition games on Wednesday in Toronto and Friday in Winnipeg before flying to Australia for a series of friendlies.

I'm exhilarated to have this opportunity ... and judging by the first practice, it's a helluva group of guys, so I'm excited.

— Canada head coach Nick Nurse

Expectations for this team were sky-high heading into arguably the program's most important summer in history. The Canadian men's team, which hasn't made an Olympic appearance since 2000, can clinch a berth in the 2020 Tokyo Games with a top-seven finish at the World Cup. Failing that, they face playing a last-chance tournament next summer that would require another big commitment from players, with no Olympic guarantee.

Monday also marked Day 1 for Nick Nurse, who takes over as head coach of Canada's national team just weeks after leading the Raptors to their first NBA title.

Asked about key absentees, Nurse said: "My thoughts are I'm super proud of the guys that are here and super excited to coach them.

"You can't force anybody to play, it's a unique situation, everybody understands the uniqueness of it. I'm exhilarated to have this opportunity and coach these guys and judging by the first practice, it's a helluva group of guys so I'm excited."

No. 23-ranked Canada is in a tough Group H at the World Cup that includes No. 6 Lithuania, 11th-ranked Australia and 37th-ranked Senegal. The Canadians tip off the World Cup in China on Sept. 1 versus Australia.

'Our focus is on who is here'

Rowan Barrett, the team's general manager, said getting all of Canada's to players to commit was always going to be a tough task.

"I think you can see all across the world that this was a challenging thing. We managed the best that we could. We're consistent in our approach, which is we need to build a big and strong pool understanding that each summer we're going to miss players," he said. "Sometimes it's injuries. Sometimes it's something in their life. It could be a trade. It could be a contract. Something can come up.

"Our focus is on who is here. We have players who just got married (Thomas Scrubb was married on Saturday) who are here. No honeymoon or the honeymoon is going to be in Australia with a 10-foot rim, a ball and a bunch of his brothers. We'e going to focus on that."

Canada used a revolving doors of three dozen players in a convoluted World Cup qualifying process stretched over almost two years. Canada Basketball estimated the players covered 2.3 million kilometres combined in travel. The Canadians clinched a World Cup berth in December with a thrilling win over Brazil in Brazil.

The buzz since then had been about who would play for Canada, which saw more success on the NBA stage this past season than ever before. That lofty balloon seemed to lose some of its air on Monday.

Murray, however, believes this Canadian team will still get the job done in China.

"I have a lot of faith in my young guys. That's why they're here, the reason they're here, to prove themselves, go out and show the world, not just this city, not just this country, the world what they can do," Murray said. "So, it was a big plan for me to come here and help them, lead them, show the world what we can do next year in the Olympics.

"I have a lot of faith in these guys, I have no doubt they're going to go out there and make Canada proud."

Training camp invitees

Canada's training camp invitees are as follows:

RJ Barrett, Guard, Mississauga, Ont. (New York Knicks).
Aaron Best, Guard, Scarborough, Ont. (Riesen Ludwigsburg — Germany).
Khem Birch, Centre, Montreal (Orlando Magic).
Chris Boucher, Centre, Montreal (Toronto Raptors).
Oshae Brissett, Forward, Mississauga, Ont. (Toronto Raptors).
Melvin Ejim, Forward, Toronto (BC UNICS — Russia).
Brady Heslip, Guard, Burlington, Ont. (Istanbul BBSK — Turkey).
Cory Joseph, Guard, Toronto (Sacramento Kings).
Kaza Kajami-Keane, Guard, Ajax, Ont. (Mitteldeutscher BC — Germany)
Jamal Murray, Guard, Kitchener, Ont. (Denver Nuggets).
Andrew Nembhard, Guard, Aurora, Ont. (Florida Gators — NCAA).
Duane Notice, Guard, Woodbridge, Ont. (Raptors 905 — G League).
Kelly Olynyk, Forward, Kamloops, B.C. (Miami Heat).
Eugene Omoruyi, Forward, Rexdale, Ont. (Oregon Ducks — NCAA).
Kevin Pangos, Guard, Newmarket, Ont. (FC Barcelona Basketball — Spain).
Addison Patterson, Guard, Milton, Ont. (Bella Vista Prep — Arizona)
Phil Scrubb, Guard, Richmond, B.C. (Zenit Saint Petersburg — Russia).
Thomas Scrubb, Forward, Richmond, B.C. (Openjobmetis Varese — Italy).
Kyle Wiltjer, Forward, Portland, Ore. (Unicaja Malaga — Spain).

Players listed in italics will participate in training camp but won't play at World Cup.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2019, 2:15 AM

It would be nice to have those NBA guys but this is to be expected.

-Murray would be crucified by the media and fans if he got injured playing FIBA ball just after signing a big contract and coming back to a top 2 team in the west (and with Golden State looking vulnerable Denver most likely sees this as their best shot at a Championship).

-Gilgeous-Alexander and Barrett were never expected to play as they are so new in the NBA that teams rarely would allow them to go to these tourys, and these are the players that will be looking to earn their big payday soon.

-I don't love Wiggins but he should have considered this as a great tune up as he had an off year and should look to bounce back. Though I dont see alot of fight in the guy, and perhaps we are better off without him.

-Thompson is the one I am surprised by. He is basically playing for nothing this year as the Cavs will be near the bottom of the league and this could be the high point of his year. He has played well for Canada before. He will be looking for a new contract next summer but he seems to be in a good spot to play this summer.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2019, 11:54 PM

These guys are selfish and just don't care.
Canada will never have a great basketball team.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada