HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 7:42 PM

Canevas [former Village Cartier, 425 boul. Saint-Joseph, Gatineau] | Proposed

New life coming to the oldest mall in the Outaouais

Developer Brigil purchases Village Place Cartier and announces plans to renovate.

Gatineau's Village Place Cartier shopping centre and parking lot will get a breath of new life in the coming years.

Real-estate developer Brigil purchased the lot and plans to revitalize it, the company announced Tuesday.

Village Place Cartier was the first shopping centre in the Outaouais area, established in 1965 on Saint-Joseph Boulevard near Saint-Raymond Boulevard.

In recent years the mall has seen a slump in retail sales, and some of its businesses have closed their doors.

Redevelopment work could start in early spring and would hopefully be done by July 2020, Brigil president Gilles Desjardins said in an interview in French Tuesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5007118

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 12:48 AM
I ask because I Gatineau

I'll believe it when I see it. Every couple of years it seems another plan is hatched to renew/renovate/replace that mall and nothing happens.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:55 AM

'Some of it's businesses have closed' hahaha. It's the deadest mall in the region, worse even than Lincoln Fields which is slated for demolition.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
'Some of it's businesses have closed' hahaha. It's the deadest mall in the region, worse even than Lincoln Fields which is slated for demolition.
At least Place Cartier still has its' Walmart.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelKazan View Post
At least Place Cartier still has its' Walmart.
Burn?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 9:08 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Is the point that Place Cartier still has a Walmart but Lincoln Fields no longer does?

Anyway, the Walmart at Place Cartier is definitely viable. There is a pretty large Walmart-ish clientele in the vicinity.

If they were to close it the closest ones would be in the Plateau power centre and across the Gatineau River on La Gappe. So quite some distance away. And a lot of these people don't have cars.

No Walmart at all in central Hull would be a surprising scenario. Though it's true they could move it out of Place Cartier and into the large space left vacant by Sears at Les Galeries de Hull just down the street.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Anyway, the Walmart at Place Cartier is definitely viable..
Going to agree with you there. Any weekend I go there, that location is busy at both the parking lot and the mall entrances.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
I don't know about that. It is fairly busy during the week when I go there. The Walmart is nice as far as those go. The inside non anchor tenants are failing but that is probably a layout problem more than anything. The location is pretty good so it seems like it has potential.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 10:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

The IGA at the opposite end is also quite busy.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 8:39 PM

Although Wal-Mart has long vacated most malls for big box plazas. Look at Ottawa, what's the closest "downtown" Wal-Mart? Bilings or Trainyards but nothing for residents north of that...

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 8:34 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
Although Wal-Mart has long vacated most malls for big box plazas. Look at Ottawa, what's the closest "downtown" Wal-Mart? Bilings or Trainyards but nothing for residents north of that...
Perhaps if said resident is living in downtown Ottawa, they could summon up some courage and venture to the mysterious Place Cartier.

I'm sure the Stittsvillians that drive to Costco on Maloney for cheap beer see it as a thrilling adventure .

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 3:45 PM

Public consultation on May 29 between 5 to 8 pm.

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 4:47 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soi-Fon View Post
Public consultation on May 29 between 5 to 8 pm.
I got a sore neck viewing that image, so I fixed it for you

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
I got a sore neck viewing that image, so I fixed it for you

That's weird, the picture was fine on my computer. Thanks for the adjustment.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:44 PM

So I caught on 104.7 this morning that Brigil did some sort of presentation on Village Cartier last night, now called Canvas(spelling?). Apparently they want to start construction of a mixed cultural and commercial building on the north end of the lot this summer.

I couldn't find anything on Brigil's site.
Anyone else have more info?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 6:49 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's Canevas.

There is more information here if you do a CTRL F.

https://www.brigil.com/pdf/brochure_..._Corpo_Web.pdf

It says there will be a biergarten, kiosks for local businesses, and a stage for live shows.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2022, 7:45 PM

Village Cartier deviendra Canevas
Gaëlle Kanyeba
Le Droit
27 avril 2022
Mis à jour le 28 avril 2022 à 11h09

Trois ans après son achat du Village Cartier, la firme immobilière Brigil souhaite aller de l’avant avec son projet de redéveloppement. Cela commencera dès cet été par la construction d’un nouvel espace de rassemblement et le Village Cartier sera rebaptisé par la même occasion Canevas, qui incarne la nouvelle identité visuelle du site.
L’annonce a été faite par Jessy Desjardins, vice-président chargé du développement chez Brigil, mercredi, lors d’une consultation publique qui avait pour but de présenter le projet à aux résidents du secteur avoisinant le centre commercial.

La vision du projet
Le projet repose sur quatre piliers: créer des espaces humains, stimuler l’économie locale, la mobilité et durabilité, puis finalement soutenir la culture.

Autrement dit, le site qui est situé entre les rues Saint-Joseph, Saint- Raymond, Berri et Gamelin, entre autres, va être divisé en deux parties.

D’une part, la portion où se situe le Walmart sera développée dans 30 ou 60 ans, en raison du bail de la multinationale. Et de l’autre, dans le côté nord du secteur, l’entreprise va créer des logements, des parcs, des bâtiments communautaires et des "trames urbaines".

«On veut que ça soit un lieu qui rassemble les gens. On veut densifier pour permettre une mixité et que les gens puissent profiter des commerces locaux. On veut prioriser les stationnements souterrains à terme pour être en mesure d’avoir plus de verdure, a expliqué le vice-président. C’est de venir ajouter de la mixité, favoriser la continuité commerciale sur Saint-Joseph et restructurer le front résidentiel sur Gamelin pour redevenir un quartier complet.»

Cet été débutera donc la construction du site Canevas, situé sur le boulevard Saint Joseph, qui va être un bloc de six étages, composé d’espaces culturels et commerciaux, à des prix abordables, affirme M. Desjardins.

«On a voulu une fragmentation du volume pour être en mesure de créer un rythme, que les gens puissent marcher sur le site et voient une évolution architecturale tout au long»

https://www.ledroit.com/2022/04/28/v...00d295aece9731

Old Posted Oct 2, 2023, 1:00 PM

Website, if anyone is interested:

https://espacecanevas.com/en/

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 1:28 PM

Site Plan. Pulled from Rail Fans Canada Discord.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 2:38 PM

Do we know the proposed elevation of these buildings? I think the article said that one would be 6 floors

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa