HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 28, 2018, 9:33 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNewYork View Post
About an hour ago, an email from CMU President Jahanian was sent out. Subject line: Philanthropic Commitments. It announced that Scaife Hall will be torn down and replaced with a new building (twice the square footage on an "enlarged footprint"). The project will cost $75M, with $30M committed by the Allegheny Foundation (one of the Scaife family foundations), which is probably why the new building will remain Scaife Hall.

The enlarged footprint is clearly the wasted land adjacent to Scaife that holds that odd curved roof auditorium.

I assume if the Palumbo family kicked some funds into the Duquense fieldhouse project, it would have remained the Palumbo Center.

CMU also announced a $50M gift from two alums (husband and wife) for need-based scholarships. Great idea---my understanding is that CMU is quite disadvantaged when competing with wealthier schools for top students that are shopping for financial aid.
I had engineering classes in Scaife Hall (in that funky auditorium, or "The Pringle" as we called it). It is an interesting building with some forward-thinking concepts (for the time of its construction). However, it did feel very stark and bland. Reminds me, haven't seen an update posted here in a while for ANSYS hall. You can actually see the auditorium in the right of this construction cam screenshot from today.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2018, 4:33 PM

I'm a Duquesne alum and not thrilled. Nothing against UPMC, but come on.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2018, 3:21 PM

November HRC is up. Not much of interest this month. Looks like PPS wants to put a small addition on historically-protected Morrow K-8 on the North Side. And the earlier plan for Manhattan Church Lofts has been modified (but still involves removing stained glass to allow for operable windows).

Also, a new ZBA agenda us up for 11-15. Biggest news here seems to be a plan to put seven new townhouses on Boundary Street in Oakland (Panther Hollow). There's also plans for a new two-unit house on Black Street in Garfield.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2018, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I had engineering classes in Scaife Hall (in that funky auditorium, or "The Pringle" as we called it). It is an interesting building with some forward-thinking concepts (for the time of its construction). However, it did feel very stark and bland. Reminds me, haven't seen an update posted here in a while for ANSYS hall. You can actually see the auditorium in the right of this construction cam screenshot from today.

Ha! The Pringle. That's perfect.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2018, 5:14 PM

Pitt opened their own grocery store on Forbes Avenue this week called the Forbes Street [sic?] Market. It occupies the space across from the Library formerly housing a 7 Eleven. It's not particularly big, but seems to offer quite a bit, with a deli, bakery, and an overall focus on fresh produce and vegan options.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 1:11 AM

11/4 planning commission presentation is up. 6 projects this week, although several are small.

1./2. Removal of one block of permit parking from Beechview, and a separate removal of a small amount of permit parking from Squirrel Hill. This is the only time in the last several years I've seen the elimination, rather than the expansion, of permit parking. On the whole I think this is a good thing.

3. Conversion of 209 9th Street from office space into a 44-unit apartment building with ground-level retail.

4. Conversion of 800 Penn Avenue from office space to a 42-unit apartment building with ground-level retail. Both this and the previous building are being done concurrently by the same developer. External changes should be minor, with the work concentrating on new elevators, mechanical system, removal of old office partitions, etc.

5. 1318 Grandview (the old Isabella Restaurant building) is slated to be torn down and replaced with a new construction single-family home. I actually don't mind the design, but it's a shame that something which theoretically has some sort of public use will be replaced by a multi-million dollar home. But I guess it's inevitable given the view. Nothing else can compete in terms of property value.

6. Conversion of 620 Second Avenue (the old Art Institute dorms) into a 140-unit market-rate apartment building. It looks like they have plans to improve the entrance off Try Street significantly (which for all intents is the front of the building, since the true front is partially buried under the Boulevard of the Allies ramp) and add a small amount of retail.

Altogether, another 226 units of apartments in Downtown is nothing to sneeze at.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:08 AM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
5. 1318 Grandview (the old Isabella Restaurant building) is slated to be torn down and replaced with a new construction single-family home. I actually don't mind the design, but it's a shame that something which theoretically has some sort of public use will be replaced by a multi-million dollar home. But I guess it's inevitable given the view. Nothing else can compete in terms of property .
Do the new owners get to keep the billboard?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 3:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Altogether, another 226 units of apartments in Downtown is nothing to sneeze at.
It is funny to think back--it was not that long ago that number of units would be HUGE news. Still a nice-sized bump, but it shows how far Downtown residential has already come.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 2:00 PM

http://www.machado-silvetti.com/PORT...llon/index.php

Anyone else ever see this? I hadn’t. I stumbled upon it last night.

Machado Silvetti, a Boston architectural firm, apparently competed for the commission to design CMU’s University Center.

Can’t say that I would like it now---it's Post-Modern on steroids. But the some aspects of the renderings have an industrial look---particularly the rendering with the two smokestacks---that would not be inappropriate on the Carnegie Mellon campus. It has more height, which would be welcome, and it lacks the numbing uniformity of the current UC. Plus, I would have loved to see how that tower would have turned out.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 4:00 PM

Those are some baffling drawings. I'm not sure what to think considering that the map they use in one of the mockups is inaccurate or ancient. It doesn't even include the CMU parking garage.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler View Post
Those are some baffling drawings. I'm not sure what to think considering that the map they use in one of the mockups is inaccurate or ancient. It doesn't even include the CMU parking garage.
Yeah, if you open up the picture information, it's from 1987.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 4:20 PM

Looks like Northern Virginia might be named Amazon's HQ2 soon. Surprised that they are looking at Crystal City. That area was showing it's age when worked there almost twenty years ago.

Regardless, I still hope the Post Gazette is successful in forcing the release of the city's bid.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 6:27 PM

Seems like a good location for Amazon but I thought they wanted empty space so they could build to suit?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 11:43 AM

Apparently Continental's option on the former Post Gazette complex expired, and the property is being remarketed:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201811020062

Quote:
Block Communications Inc. has hired the CBRE real estate firm to market the 1.65-acre site, which includes the five-story building and a surface parking lot at 34 Boulevard of the Allies. Located just off the ramp from the Fort Pitt Bridge, the real estate will be available to developers with an interest in either re-purposing the building or demolishing it and starting new.

The property is being listed without an asking price. David Koch, a CBRE executive vice president who is marketing the site, expects it to attract a lot of interest given the highly visible location at the front door to the Golden Triangle. “I think it’s the best site in the city of Pittsburgh,” he said. “I think that the exposure you have, the amenities, the public transportation, its proximity to other Class A buildings and other buildings in the central business district, I don’t think there’s a better site in the city.” The property, he added, provides easy access to the parkways, is served by public transportation, and has a lot of parking in the vicinity.

For 88 years, the building served as the heartbeat of local journalism, housing The Pittsburgh Press and the Post-Gazette. After buying The Press in 1923, Scripps Howard constructed the building at a cost of $4 million, with the first papers produced there in 1927.
I'm actually glad Continental is out of the picture--they suck.

The historic 1920s building was cool, but it got a pretty bad makeover to try to make it look "modern," and I am not sure it could be restored. And combined with the parking lot, that is a very large footprint in which you could do a very important project:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pg...!4d-80.0067258

By the way, I would still love to see that parking lot and rundown Fort Pitt bastion across the street redeveloped into a historic/recreational attraction. Downtown could use a playground and it is just tragic that bastion is not a featured part of the Fort Pitt experience.

Last edited by BrianTH; Nov 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 9:56 PM

The Larimer School on Larimer Ave will finally get the renovation that it deserves. I hope the Art Deco annex is included in the overhaul.

https://www.nextpittsburgh.com/city-...elopment-plan/

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
The Larimer School on Larimer Ave will finally get the renovation that it deserves. I hope the Art Deco annex is included in the overhaul.

Thank goodness. It is such a cool property.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Apparently Continental's option on the former Post Gazette complex expired
Oh thank God.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 3:12 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post

That was one of the first places I urbexed when I moved to Pittsburgh. The theater if restored could be incredible. Whatever happened with it? Three years ago they started renovations, then it just stopped. Last I heard it was going to be an old folks home. Glad something is finally being done with it again. Now if only they could restore the incredible St. Peters and Paul Catholic Church a few blocks away before it caves in and is lost.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:01 PM

New ZBA up for 11/29. Big news this week is the rumored project at 5803 Centre Avenue in East Liberty has arrived. Six stories, 170 residential units, and ground floor retail.

A couple of smaller projects this week too, including a new home in Upper Lawrenceville, a new home in Lower Lawrenceville, and 7 new townhouses in far South Oakland,

Old Posted Nov 12, 2018, 6:42 PM

Neyer's Strip Project

https://www.neyer.com/al-neyer-sets-...trip-district/

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet. Its a little dated, but I think they still want to move forward on it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations