HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 11:54 AM

Can you show the city from the sky?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:26 PM

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I really enjoy the warm welcome I've gotten here.

And yes, there will be aerial shots. First of them are coming up pretty soon, but not just yet.

And yes, here's more ground level shots:

From 1880 to 1910 architectural winds blew from Chicago, but in 1910's the direction changed and the architects took their inspiration from New York buildings. First of these "new wave" buildings was the neoclassical-style Gilbert Building, which was designed by a newyorker. The biggest owner and the Chairman of the Board of Gilbert Industries, Augustus Gilbert, was from Chicago and preferred its architecture, but the legend has it, that Augustus Gilbert slept during the board meeting where the Board decided on the architect. Whether this is true or not, no one knows. The memo of that meeting has disappeared. The Gilbert Building is still owned by Gilbert Industries, although it no longer houses its headquarters.

The Gilbert Building has 26 stories, is 305 feet (93 m) high and was Rocane's tallest building from 1916 to 1922.

Here's a view of Main Street looking north in 1920...

and here's the skyline

Old Posted Jan 23, 2009, 5:45 PM
World Machine

This city and your stories are really amazing. I really love the whole 'travel through time' technique you are using. It really allows us to understand your city and its history much better. Do you plan to go all the way up into present day?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 3:16 AM

This city is growing up! Superb work!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:07 AM
Desert Dweller

Amazing story telling, detail, its all there, theres not much to say to such a perfect city other than great job!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
Do you plan to go all the way up into present day?
Actually I will go a bit beyond present day to 2020. There will be some slightly futuristic buildings.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:41 AM

Rocane never had zoning laws regulating building heights, so the 1920's setback-style originating from New York as an answer to such laws was adopted in Rocane for purely appearance reasons. The first building representing this style was the 30-story Kansas Bank Building behind the St.Matthews Church and the Old Cemetery. The Kansas Bank Building was constructed in 1922 and with its height of 381 feet (116 m) it was the first building in Rocane to break the 100 meter mark. It was Rocane's tallest building from 1922 to 1929.

The most important lot available for commercial use, the northeast corner of Main and Market streets, was occupied by a 5-story building from the early 1870's. It was owned and used by the Rocane Board of Trade. By 1920's that building was utterly outdated and far too small for the Board of Trade of Rocane's bustling commerce. In 1922 that building was torn down and work began on a new Board of Trade building. Work was completed 1924 and the Adler Building had a new neighbour standing at 249 feet (76 m) with 20 stories. Building was named the Hood Building in honor of the founder of Rocane Board of Trade, Robert Hood.

Last edited by Vellu; Jan 24, 2009 at 12:13 PM.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 9:52 AM
nuttin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
Actually I will go a bit beyond present day to 2020. There will be some slightly futuristic buildings.
I like.

Can i nag you into learning to render ?

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocholate View Post
I like.

Can i nag you into learning to render ?
Possibly I haven't played around with KT, so I don't know what going beyond basic settings would do, but rendered with KT's basic settings I myself prefer SU exports to KT renderings because of their softer and warmer tone. I think KT renders of Rocane look too cold. Here's an example, what do you think?:

Probably it is that Rocane's textures are not ideal for rendering. When I find some extra time, I will play around with KT, because usually those renders look alot better than SU exports. I'm not sure, it's going to happen with Rocane, though.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 11:19 AM
Dare Mighty Things

It sucks the windows are part of a bigger texture, they'd look excellent with reflections.

The two things that made my renderings look a lot better:

1) Used Photoreal spherical skies instead of the default texture. (which you can find by searching photo skymaps on Google, here are some I found
-http://www.bzfusion.net/skymaps/skymap_photo8.jpg
-http://www.bzfusion.net/skymaps/sky_1.jpg
-http://www.bzfusion.net/skymaps/sky_midafternoon.jpg

2) Rendered with the setting Metropolis Light Transport. Depending on what you're rendering and how big the file is, the results look far superior. Don't be intimidated by the 1/10000, you don't have to wait 10,000 cycles to make a good rendering, I've found 30-60 make it close to crystal clear.

Hope that helps!

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 4:59 PM

Man, that rendering takes ages! 30 cycles on a 800x600 picture took 38 minutes. I think i'll stick with SU exports with Rocane, because I really prefer that hand-drawn look that I get with my textures, so it's not worth the time rendering takes. However, I generally prefer that photoreal look you get from rendering a model modeled rendering in mind, I just won't get it out of Rocane, its textures being what they are.

Don't worry, though, those tips won't be wasted. They're making me want to start a new, more renderable, SU city. So, thanks for the tips. I think I really have to get a new computer first, though...

Old Posted Jan 24, 2009, 8:04 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

My renderings at 1134x1795 take about ten minutes with default settings!

Anyways, great work! If you don't wanna use Kerk then you can Photoshop skies into your city which would make it look 100 times more realistic.

So do you have everything planned out or are you adding/removing models as you go? Cause that little church would look sexy next to some 600 footers.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 1:00 AM
Dare Mighty Things

:O

My renderings usually take 1-3 hours to get 30-40 cycles done (on 1280x1024). I'll usually start a rendering just before bed, or just before going to class and when I get back I have a nice full render. Ten minutes, Aleks!?!? Lucky!!!!! I'd even take 30 minutes in a heartbeat!

Anthony

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 1:27 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Well, that's at default settings. With no glasses, no metals, no textures, no no perfect lights/shadows.

If Soft Shadows are on Ultra Fine, Photons on A Lot, Rays in Huge, Accuracy on Perfect, and I have metals, woods, plastics, lights, and transparent glasses then it can take for ever! Just one render with all those settings/details at 1134x1795 pixels would take at least 12 hours! But then again, that's because I have everything to look as good as it can [maximum settings].

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
So do you have everything planned out or are you adding/removing models as you go? Cause that little church would look sexy next to some 600 footers.
I actually didn't have everything planned. When Rocane moved on in time, my tactic was to find the most under-developed lot (a desirable location with an outdated and small building) and put the newest building there. So the placement of the buildings was pretty random. Rocane is already actually finished, since I completed the last, 2020 model, in early september. I'm just presenting it now.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:42 AM

In late 19th and early 20th century Jenney Retail Company and Burnham & Co. fought a fierce battle over Rocane's markets. The battle was won by Jenney Retail and the final nail in Burnham's coffin was the gigantic Jenney's Department Store on Main Street constructed in 1927. The base was reserved for retail and the tower housed offices of Jenney Retail Company headquarters. The building is 325 feet (99 m) tall and has 26 stories.

Today Jenney's department store has expanded as it includes all the lower floors of the buildings on the block. The tower of the original Jenney Building now houses a hotel and there's a restaurant on the top floor. Burnham & Co., on the other hand, operates some discount stores in the suburbs.

In late 1920's Delaware Company undertook two building projects that were something unprecedented in Rocane. First to be completed was the 40-story Lamb Building on 2nd North Street. At 492 feet (150 m) it became the tallest building in Rocane, but only held that title for a year. Building's main tenant was Rocane Stock Exchange, which moved in right before the stock market crash. Although it was hit hard, it survived and still today operates in Lamb Building. The observation platform of Lamb Building was one of the major attractions in Rocane for many decades, until it got overshadowed by taller skyscrapers.

Delaware Company's second major project was this tower on 3rd North Street. It was the last obsession of Peter McKim, the owner of Delaware Company, though he never saw it completed, as he passed in 1929, a year before the building was finished. The building was named McKim Tower to commemorate Peter McKim, the man behind so many early 20th century buildings in Rocane. Most of the buildings offices were rented beforehand, but when the building was finally finished, the Great Depression had hit Rocane's commerce and the building stood almost empty for the first five years of its existence.

McKim Tower is 541 feet (165 m) tall, has 45 stories and was Rocane's tallest building from 1930 to 1965 being the second longest holder of that title.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:55 AM

Rocane's two largest insurance companies, Rocane Life and Gilbert Insurance, undertook a shared project to construct a building large enough to house headquarters of both companies. Result was Insurance Plaza on Main Street next to City Hall and City Hall Park. Insurance Plaza, completed in 1931, was the last high-rise to be completed in Rocane for over 20 years. It stands at 289 feet (88 m) and has 23 stories.

Here's a view of Market Street looking east away from the riverfront in 1940.

Here is Rocane's skyline in 1940.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 5:20 PM
Desert Dweller

I freaking love that last shot! And I also love the Lamb Building!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:29 PM
Dare Mighty Things

WOW!!

I am in love with this city!! Erm...sorry if this is kind of out there, I mean, yeah, I'm kinda nervous, but....

Can I marry your city!?!

I love it love it love it!!! Keep up the awesome work!

Old Posted Jan 25, 2009, 11:41 PM

Boise, your cheating on City City, Staunton, trinity city and Palm Dunes.

Quote:
I love it love it love it!!! Keep up the awesome work!
My thoughts aswell.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup