HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 2:28 PM

Interesting how, at first, they were so bent out of shape about the proposed height -- that is was way too tall and would loom over everything in the Strip. Even though it checks in under the allowed height requirements, and that there is really nothing to "loom over" since there are still mainly empty lots surrounding it.

Then it was, "out of character" with the Strip, not attempting to blend in with the existing architecture. Even though it's not surrounded by any of that existing architecture, and NONE of the new construction in the Strip blends in.

And now, its massing is just too obtrusive and it's not inviting enough. Even though it meets zoning requirements and offers more public space/amenities than is mandated.

The same three commission members have been poo poo-ing it in one way or another from the start. It's telling that the other members have largely stayed out of it.

And not one of these three "architecture critic" commission members is a practicing architect.

This situation with the Planning Commission completely reeks of academic, do-gooder BS.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 7:10 PM

October 8 ZBA is now online. We must be headed into the slow season with the upcoming cold weather, because there's nothing of interest here really. A collection of signs, decks, parking pads, and minor changes of use. I really hope the request for variance to turn the front yard of this Oakland apartment building into a three-car parking pad goes nowhere though.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2020, 8:57 PM

I don't know if it's been covered already, but I was curious if there was any news about the development of the old McDonald's site in the Strip. Turns out, it's going to be a single story bank branch.

That's disappointing.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 3:25 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post
I don't know if it's been covered already, but I was curious if there was any news about the development of the old McDonald's site in the Strip. Turns out, it's going to be a single story bank branch.

That's disappointing.
And across from the tallest building in the strip too. I think a midrise at this site would have been appropriate.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 6:00 PM

Does anybody know what's going on with ground-floor bank branches replacing fast-food chains? In Oakland both the former Bagel Factory on Forbes and Popeyes on Fifth are being replaced by Chase bank branches.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM View Post

That's disappointing.
Isn't a one story bank building just as easy to tear down as a McDonalds in the future? Maybe this is just a place-holder for something bigger later...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 8:07 PM

I don't get why bank branches are even being built now...

Old Posted Sep 21, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
I don't get why bank branches are even being built now...
I once read an article which suggested it was basically a form of high-end advertising.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:03 PM

Chick-fil-A mulls Market Square location

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202009220063

When this happens, Market Square will officially be renamed “The Foode Court at Market Square”.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalistUtopia View Post
Does anybody know what's going on with ground-floor bank branches replacing fast-food chains? In Oakland both the former Bagel Factory on Forbes and Popeyes on Fifth are being replaced by Chase bank branches.
I just read something this morning (maybe previously known here) that Chase has signed an LOI to take over the former Bruegger's in Market Square as well. That would make the two newest Market Square tenants banks (BoA being the other). I don't think many people will miss the bagel shop itself, but the addition of vibrancy-sucking voids is hardly highest and best use. Take heart, though -- Chick-fil-A is apparently looking at taking over part of the former Molinari/Poros space.

Combine all of that with the losses of Winghart's, Sienna on the Square, NoLA, Diamond Market, a couple of the restaurants on Forbes just outside MS, and it hardly seems like things are trending in the right direction there.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 2:42 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
I just read something this morning (maybe previously known here) that Chase has signed an LOI to take over the former Bruegger's in Market Square as well. That would make the two newest Market Square tenants banks (BoA being the other). I don't think many people will miss the bagel shop itself, but the addition of vibrancy-sucking voids is hardly highest and best use. Take heart, though -- Chick-fil-A is apparently looking at taking over part of the former Molinari/Poros space.

Combine all of that with the losses of Winghart's, Sienna on the Square, NoLA, Diamond Market, a couple of the restaurants on Forbes just outside MS, and it hardly seems like things are trending in the right direction there.
Man, I love Winghart's. Their Shipwreck burger is the best I've ever had in Pittsburgh. Glad they still have a location on East Carson St. Highly recommended.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 8:17 PM

9/29 Planning Commission presentation is now online. Three new items on the agenda for next week, though the two substantial ones have already received some coverage in the media.

1. The plan for the renovation of the South Side Works movie theater into office space. There's some nice renderings here (I like the big windows opening up the upper portion of the building), but honestly, the presentation overall looks a little skimpy to me. There's a total lack of floor plans, for example.

2. A presentation on something called a "Phase 2 Frick Park Extension." I was initially confused, but it involves the now built Summerset at Frick's second phase, essentially converting a wide grassy undeveloped plot into a more active space, with winding sidewalks, two pavilions, and a central planted and hardscaped focal point aligning with the cross street Beardsley Lane. I don't think it's a bad design, but it's not anything that 95%+ of Pittsburgh will ever see.

3. Finally, concrete plans for the new shelter Downtown. The building is a 5-story, 125-bed shelter. They appear to be doing some significant improvements to the sidewalk and surrounding hardscape as well. As I have said before, this is a nice little project, filling in a long empty space which would be hard to fill with market-rate development (due to proximity to the jail and being next to the the Liberty Bridge.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 9:40 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
9/29 Planning Commission presentation is now online. Three new items on the agenda for next week, though the two substantial ones have already received some coverage in the media.

1. The plan for the renovation of the South Side Works movie theater into office space. There's some nice renderings here (I like the big windows opening up the upper portion of the building), but honestly, the presentation overall looks a little skimpy to me. There's a total lack of floor plans, for example.

2. A presentation on something called a "Phase 2 Frick Park Extension." I was initially confused, but it involves the now built Summerset at Frick's second phase, essentially converting a wide grassy undeveloped plot into a more active space, with winding sidewalks, two pavilions, and a central planted and hardscaped focal point aligning with the cross street Beardsley Lane. I don't think it's a bad design, but it's not anything that 95%+ of Pittsburgh will ever see.

3. Finally, concrete plans for the new shelter Downtown. The building is a 5-story, 125-bed shelter. They appear to be doing some significant improvements to the sidewalk and surrounding hardscape as well. As I have said before, this is a nice little project, filling in a long empty space which would be hard to fill with market-rate development (due to proximity to the jail and being next to the the Liberty Bridge.

I like the plans for both the Southside Works theater and the shelter next to the Liberty bridge. Both are nice infill/upsizing projects that I love to see.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2020, 10:33 PM

That shelter looks perfect for that location. Nice job!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2020, 6:25 PM

10/15 ZBA is now online.

The only big project for that week is the last on the agenda - the redevelopment of the Shakespeare Street Giant Eagle. It needs a single special exception and a variance to go forward. I am concerned that the NIMBYs in the Village of Shadyside will use the process to kill the project (something they have not succeeded with at the Planning Commission). Regardless, there's some nice information here, including a detailed transportation study.

Also, the project rehabbing 905 Bingham is before the ZBA. The HRC has dealt with this project over the last few months, so it is not new.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post

...And the project gets shit on by the chair of the planning commission as "an elite tower in the sky", which somehow doesn't respect "the guy selling Steelers gear on the sidewalk".

What the fuck does this even mean? :
“When you’ve spent time with the guy selling Steelers gear on the sidewalk, you recognize that some of the magic of that is in the kind of ability of people to put something on the sidewalk. It is the honky tonk, it is the chaos that is there that is part of it,” commission Chairwoman Christine Mondor said.

Mayve this is closer to what the commisioners were looking for?

https://flic.kr/p/2jKLCmv

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 8:59 AM

Sorry, having trouble posting images

Old Posted Sep 24, 2020, 5:24 PM

October HRC is finally online. The HRC has finally followed the lead of the Planning Commission and the ZBA and offered each project broken apart in its own PDF on the website. Unfortunately, there are no projects of note for next month. As is typical, most of the projects are single-family homes in historic districts. Most of what are left are very small projects (HVAC, rear seating, etc) on commercial or institutional buildings. Oh well, better luck next month.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 12:41 PM

So, major news on an upcoming project from PBT. The planned mixed-use development on this section of Liberty is going forward. However, the developer (RDC) is dropping plans for an office component and increasing the number of residential units from 274 to 370.

There's some renderings in the article, though they really don't give good perspective of the entire site:

Googling around, this seems to be an overhead view of the site. May be an earlier version:

Nice density level very close to Herron Station.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2020, 2:22 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
So, major news on an upcoming project from PBT. The planned mixed-use development on this section of Liberty is going forward. However, the developer (RDC) is dropping plans for an office component and increasing the number of residential units from 274 to 370.

There's some renderings in the article, though they really don't give good perspective of the entire site:

Googling around, this seems to be an overhead view of the site. May be an earlier version:

Nice density level very close to Herron Station.

Oooh, I like this. This area where The Strip meets Lawrenceville has been a dead spot/underutilized for too long. Fill it in!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations