HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:06 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrow View Post
What is the exact number of acres of park that were added?
Four acres total. Costing 90 million in 1995 dollars. They could have just taken the money in bundles of dollar bills and used it as landfill.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:17 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Yep. This Finnley guy is full of shit. Easier for tourists to visit? The Green Line goes right there from downtown and has a handful of stops in the Loop. The Metra has what, one stop in the Loop, and is more confusing for tourists to use. Most tourists have no idea why their Ventra cards can't work on the Metra.
I've lived here 20 years and I don't understand why Ventra cards don't work on Metra yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrab View Post
A shortsighted & boneheaded move, to tear down that last mile of the Green Line.
Although trains only run to the existing terminus once every 20 minutes. Better than even Metra Electric, but not as convenient as the ever 10-minute headways at 51st.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Adjaye is one of the few renowned black architects out there, but he's of course British and has no ties to the experience of black Americans, which makes it strange for him to be designing the African-American History Museum.

I don't think it is essential that the architect for Obama library be black. I'm sure some will demand this, but ultimately it's up to the Obama Foundation and the president himself. Far more important for the project to create employment opportunities within the neighborhood.
British nationals of African descent potentially share some history with African-Americans and their experience in Britain isn't entirely dissimilar to that of African-Americans here.

That said, obviously it's not one-for-one.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 9:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think it is essential that the architect for Obama library be black. I'm sure some will demand this, but ultimately it's up to the Obama Foundation and the president himself. Far more important for the project to create employment opportunities within the neighborhood.
I obviously don't think it is essential either, but it would be great if they were to pick a younger, talented, African American architect to design it. I'm sure there are plenty of talented people that fit that bill, but I'm not familiar with them. I would be really great if they could find a talented young black Chicagoan and expose someone new. I don't think it should be a requirement, but it sure would be nice.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Obama library will be prime architectural commission
Blair Kamin
Chicago Tribune
May 5th, 2015

It's destined to be Chicago's architectural commission of the decade, a building that gives physical form to the soaring ideals of the nation's first African-American president.

Which begs the question: Who will design it?

In the run-up to next Tuesday's announcement that the Barack Obama library and museum will be built in Chicago, speculation already centers on London-based, Tanzanian-born architect David Adjaye, who was seated with Obama during a 2012 state dinner for British Prime Minister David Cameron.

Adjaye would be the first non-American architect to design a presidential library. Boosting his already substantial profile, the Art Institute of Chicago in September will mount a solo exhibition of his work, which includes the under-construction National Museum of African American History and Culture on the National Mall and Denver's cool, cubelike Museum of Contemporary Art.

Yet some are asking: Why the focus on Adjaye? Why not an African-American architect like North Carolina's Philip Freelon, who designed a Washington, D.C., library that Obama visited last week? Or why not one of Chicago's leading architects, like Jeanne Gang, Helmut Jahn, Ralph Johnson or John Ronan?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...mn.html#page=1

Guess our David Adjaye guess isn't such a wild speculation after all...

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:15 AM
TL;DR

Why not a freaking competition, the way the rest of the world selects architects for culturally important buildings? If we did it for Harold Washington's library, we can do it for Obama's.

I'd much rather have this contest be about ideas than the skin color of the architect.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I've lived here 20 years and I don't understand why Ventra cards don't work on Metra yet.
From a pure logical perspective, it doesn't make sense. They should work together. However, I can guess it has to do with politics or two organizations/companies taking forever to agree on something simple and dumb.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:23 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
As Metra explains, they do in fact accept Ventra, as state law requires. All you have to do is clip a $20 bill to your Ventra card, and give both to the ticket agent at the train station. She'll return your Ventra card and a dated piece of paper proving you've paid for transportation.

(As some of you know, Metra's official explanation is just that absurd: that because Ventra cards can also be activated as debit cards, and because debit cards can be used to buy Metra tickets, Metra therefore is in compliance with the state law.) You can't make this shit up.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:29 PM

Yea, this is reverse racism. We should move beyond skin color. Besides everyone is an African-American. Everyone is descended from Africans.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:45 PM

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-83514312/

Obama library announcement set for 5 a.m. Tuesday

Dahleen Glanton, Chicago Tribune
3:22 pm, May 11, 2015

Quote:
The long-awaited official announcement of the city selected for President Barack Obama's library and museum will be made at 5 a.m. Tuesday. The official name of the complex will be the Barack Obama Presidential Center.

The president's foundation, the nonprofit established to lead the library project, confirmed Monday that the announcement will be first released on its website at 5 a.m. and will then be discussed at a news conference scheduled for noon at the Gary Comer Youth Center, 7200 S. Ingleside Ave., Chicago.

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and foundation Chairman Martin Nesbitt will participate in the news conference, which will be live on the foundation website.

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:04 PM

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 11:40 PM
TL;DR

^ From the above link:

Quote:
3.77.1.1 Exclusive security stand-off zone.
Exclusive security stand-off (buffer) zone of at least 100 feet around all portions of the building. The exclusive security stand-off zone must be capable of excluding a 15,000 pound vehicle traveling at 30 miles per hour and protection against a 220 pound bomb outside the 100 foot stand-off zone. Protection shall include a 15 pound man-portable explosive device within the 100 foot stand-off zone. Controlled employee parking and handicapped and ceremonial drop-off areas may be located within the exclusive security stand-off zone provided the access point(s) are controlled by active vehicle barrier systems. Vehicle barriers must be controllable from the access point and also remotely (on-site) from the security control center.
Ugh. This is why the U of C is so eager to gobble up parkland; they need a 100' moat of useless greenspace and parking lots around the building, because terrorism.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:37 AM

Quote:
^ From the above link:

Ugh. This is why the U of C is so eager to gobble up parkland; they need a 100' moat of useless greenspace and parking lots around the building, because terrorism.
The neighborhood and the residents were eager to get this, so your accusation of the U of C being eager to gobble up parkland is a non sequitur. Seeing as the presidential center has yet to be designed, comment on intent should probably be withheld. There are certainly ways to be urban friendly and secure at the same time.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:12 AM
TL;DR

^ not unless they can get out of their 100' moat requirement. That moat would amount to at least 2 city blocks' worth of completely wasted space, or more depending on the footprint of the library building itself. How do you make that urban friendly? More importantly, how does such a building inspire neighborhood regeneration?

The only way to secure this thing and meet requirements is to bury it at least 100' into the park and close any service drives or other streets nearby. A location on the west side of King is not possible.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:23 AM

Quote:
^ not unless they can get out of their 100' moat requirement. That moat would amount to at least 2 city blocks' worth of completely wasted space, or more depending on the footprint of the library building itself. How do you make that urban friendly? More importantly, how does such a building inspire neighborhood regeneration?

The only way to secure this thing and meet requirements is to bury it at least 100' into the park and close any service drives or other streets nearby. A location on the west side of King is not possible.
Again, until we see a design, there's only speculation. A certain amout of acreage has been transferred, which would include any buffer needed.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 10:31 AM

Here'S the video by the Barack Obama Foundation stating Chicago winning the library center.

Video Link

P.S. Can any mods official move this thread to the Chicago Thread so that people may be able to find it?

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 1:31 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Seems to also squash the argument that the foundation will be in Harlem

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:29 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
A location on the west side of King is not possible.
A bit removed from folks waiting at the bus stops, but still quite possible:

Civic and university buildings often have ceremonial or garden setbacks that deep without feeling anti-urban.

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

Civic and university buildings often have ceremonial or garden setbacks that deep without feeling anti-urban.
I'll be honest, this was always the site I wanted the library center to be located. Not only that, but the parcel of land just to the west of the green line from the tracks to Prairie and from Garfield to 53rd is also empty land besides a park and ride lot. A garage could be built on this site and shared by both the museum and CTA. What do you mean when you say it's "a bit removed from folks waiting at the bus stops"?

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:09 PM

Quote:

Yeah, and I doubt they have any 100' exclusion requirement from CTA tracks, so potentially even more room on the West side of the site if you did it that way. I would really prefer that it be out of the park and integrated with the city. I was really hoping there would be potential to have the Green Line empty directly into the library and then potentially have a skywalk over MLK into the park.

These parcels are still included in the plan so perhaps there will be some non-library auxiliary buildings on these sites with the main library in the park. I could see Obama Foundation office buildings located to the West with the main archives, exhibits, and other library functions in the park.

I just really hope they don't go for Jackson Park, absolutely the stupidest idea I've heard besides "build it in the circle interchange".

Old Posted May 12, 2015, 3:24 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:

Excellent visual, thank you for doing this - This site was always in my mind's eye as the perfect choice for the project - If they choose something within Washington Park, I'm ok with that to a degree, but I really think this is the best possible location; on MLK Blvd, near the Green line, near the highway, across the park from U of C, AND in a perfect gateway location to hopefully attract other, private developments nearby.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development