HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 10:24 PM

Related: "Big municipalities drag on economy"

From the story:

"Years of statistical information shows Nova Scotia should forget about ineffective economic development strategies for rural parts of the province," Mills said. "The province should commit instead to a strategy of economic development for the major urban centres and also for small, defined urban centres."

Old Posted Apr 16, 2013, 11:38 PM

Frankly, I discount most anything Don Mills says. He has a very sour viewpoint on most things.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2013, 1:16 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

He also seems to follow the time-honoured tradition of amalgamation non sequiturs. There are only a couple of truly "rural" councillors. They have undue influence not because they are at the same table as urban and suburban councillors but because transit decisions are ad hoc and Metro Transit is subject to political meddling. Adding more municipalities would not fix this. A real solution to the problem would be to create an arm's length transportation authority (also covering road projects) with its own budget.

I do tend to agree when it comes to focused economic development strategies. I don't think NS can be competitive and also heavily subsidize the 1/3 or so of its population that lives in far-flung rural areas.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Frankly, I discount most anything Don Mills says. He has a very sour viewpoint on most things.
I think he's brilliant, I wish we had someone like him in Newfoundland and Labrador.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 1:38 PM

Here's an article in the Herald today regarding rural living in NS.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/heraldm...city-residents

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy