HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 2:25 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

[Halifax] The Pearl (1903 Gottingen) | 28 m | 8 fl | Completed

This is for the "H&R Block" building between Gottingen and Brunswick on Rainnie Drive. Construction is expected to begin in spring 2014.

Last edited by someone123; Aug 12, 2015 at 3:11 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:20 AM

More renderings and floor plans courtesy of Halifax Planning; Introduction to Development Proposal for 5447 Rainnie Drive

Official height is 28 METRES!

I think it looks great. It has a unified exterior design with some accents to spice it up. Given the steep grade and unusual angle it meets the street the best it can.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 3:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's the side elevation:

Last edited by someone123; Aug 12, 2015 at 3:12 PM.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 8:53 AM
BANNED

I think this proposal looks cute!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2013, 5:05 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Glass building proposed near base of Citadel Hill
July 8, 2013 - 7:46pm REMO ZACCAGNA Business Reporter
Mixed-used, seven-storey structure would be neighbour to Halifax police HQ

A developer is looking to build a new mixed-use residential building at the base of Citadel Hill.

Nassim Ghosn, head of Grafton Developments Inc., has submitted a proposal to build the seven-storey, glass-enclosed building at 5447 Rainnie Dr., a project that could begin as early as this year.

The site, adjacent to Halifax Regional Police headquarters, houses a two-storey building, where an H&R Block office was located.

Because the proposal needs HRM By Design approval, it is possible that building demolition could begin in a few months time, said Wadih Fares, president of the W.M. Fares Group.

“I know that the developer really wanted to start as soon as possible,” Fares said.

“However, we have to go through the process. So we’re hoping that it’ll be finished in the next four to five months, and we’re really hoping that he can really get going in late fall.”

The building would include three levels of underground parking, 15,000 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor and 68 apartments, including two penthouse suites.

“You’re going to have almost half being two-bedroom plus den, and then some two bedrooms, some one bedrooms,” Fares said.

The ground floor will have a mixture of office and retail space, he said.

Full Article: http://thechronicleherald.ca/busines...ykeQHZ.twitter

Sounds like it's full steam ahead for this one!

Old Posted Oct 30, 2013, 5:24 PM

Now that the thread has been dug back up.

Fence is up for demolition to begin soon.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 2:57 PM

Mixed use - very nice! Reminds me of a project I'm taking to planning commission here in Calgary next week for approval. Unfortunately their website only has the first version of the building, the final one is similar but with a few nicer elements.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2013, 8:14 PM
hi

Great news, thanks for the update. Looking forward to this to go along with all the Brunswick St. activity around the corner.

Even though this building is only 8 stories, it sits high enough that I think the penthouse will have a pretty spectacular view over most of downtown, as well as the harbour and Citadel Hill. I can't really tell, but it might be close to the same level as the fort, which would be interesting.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2013, 5:46 PM

Now that the report is posted; this is the project I was mentioning that I was involved with in Calgary. It's pretty awesome I think although we don't include any colour renderings in the report.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2013, 3:39 AM

A revised proposal will be introduced to the Design Review Committee next week (November 14th, 2013). The same basic idea is present and the only variance requested for approval is regarding safety fencing on the green roof.

5445 Rainnie Drive (VERY LARGE FILE)

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:58 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
A revised proposal will be introduced to the Design Review Committee next week (November 14th, 2013). The same basic idea is present and the only variance requested for approval is regarding safety fencing on the green roof.

5445 Rainnie Drive (VERY LARGE FILE)
A couple of renderings from the Citadel Hill perspective are given in the document. I think this is a fine looking building that should improve the view from the Citadel Hill.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 6:21 AM
Volatile Pacivist

The only thing I'm not sure about is the curved roof element. I think I'd prefer it if it were a straight angular slant. That way it would kind of complement the angle of the wall.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:04 AM
BANNED

I don't think I'd change anything about this proposal.
I'd love to live here, actually!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 2:27 PM

Better than what's there now is the best I can say about it.

Too bad the developers couldn't have done a deal to get the adjacent properties on the corner and next to the corner to fix up what are a couple of very unattractive buildings.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 6:50 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Interesting rendering but the lighting looks unnatural and unflattering to me.

It could look a lot better if something good is built on the corner. Both of those office buildings along Brunswick are ugly. The one on the corner does a terrible job of adapting to the site it's on. That site is about half parking and yet there are only 20 or so spots because of the grade issues.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 8:12 PM

I like it, and it's obviously a lot better than what is currently there, but just think that's a prime piece of downtown real estate.

Wish there could be some more floors tacked on there, make better/efficient use of that location. I think this area is a natural area for greater density infill.

That said, my concerns could probably be allayed by some of someone123's suggestions. Just some better design around that corner, with the ugly surrounding buildings.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 2:38 PM
BUILD!

The H&R Block building on this site has been demolished. It came down so quickly! Crew is currently on site cleaning up the debris.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 3:50 PM

Once this and the Citadel Re-development are done, it would be awesome to see before and after shots of everything side-by-side.

I never really thought of this little area as "oh my god its so horrible" compared to other places in the city, but it's one heckuva positive change. All it needs now is a nice tower on the other side of Cogswell.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:47 AM

From today by me:

Old Posted Nov 12, 2013, 2:09 PM

... it's okaaaaay, I'll wait to see what it looks like built. I don't think it's a disaster, and I think that a healthy city needs a good number of background buildings.... but, I get the sense that the developer thinks this is a marquee building worthy of surrounding the very significant citadel/commons heart of the city (and, it should be), but it's not. At least, I don't think it is.

It should have at least hugged the sidewalk, and dealt with the grade change. The elevated, empty plinth in front does nothing for it, or for the street. If the design review committee does its job, they should require better interaction with the public realm.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth