HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Cunard in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post

I prefer this one to the original. Actually I think it is one of the nicer residential proposals in the city, and it is much nicer than the 80's/90's/00's developments nearby. I like to imagine that in a few years the southern part of the waterfront and Lower Water Street will be seamlessly integrated into the more evenly built up part of downtown north of Sackville and above Granville.
I'd love to see something built around the waterfront warehouse, i really hope something can be done with that section without the building there getting demolished

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 10:30 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
I'd love to see something built around the waterfront warehouse, i really hope something can be done with that section without the building there getting demolished
I'm not sure what the plan is, if any, for that site, but it would be nice to see some finer-grained development along the waterfront closer in scale to the older wharf and warehouse buildings.

The Cable Wharf concepts were like this: http://breakhouse.ca/33839/248238/al...suite-proposal

Smaller scale, but with modern looking buildings and thoughtful design. Even the Salter site, I think, would be better served by being broken up a bit. The Cunard Block is not so bad since it is smaller and much of it is being turned into public space. The footprint of the residential building is not that large.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 10:44 PM

Quote:
That's the much-delayed Queens Wharf, isn't it? The spot where originally Medjuck proposed an observation tower and was shouted down by the "We're not Toronto!" bunch before abandoning the entire project?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2014, 10:52 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

They are different sites, but right around the same area. Queen's Wharf runs Prince Street about 2/3 of the way to George Street, Waterfront Warehouse is north of Salter, and the Salter block was to the south.

It'll also be interesting to see what happens on the block with the Ralston building. The empty lots, parkades, and dull government offices around there really suck the life out of the area.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2014, 4:10 AM

The observation tower was propposed as part of the Salter Lot development. That was the first element to go. At least we got a nice tidal pool out of it.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 10:16 PM

Public Information Session – Monday, December 15th, 2014 – 7:00 – 9:00 pm – Art Gallery of Nova Scotia

http://southwest.ca/2014/09/information-session-cunard/

Old Posted Jul 10, 2015, 7:21 PM

Southwest Properties used the occasion of a visit to Halifax by Cunard's Queen Mary 2, and of the 175th anniversary of the Cunard Line, to announce the official name for this long-awaited development.

It will now be known as Samuel Cunard Quay.

As every Haligonian school child knows, Cunard was born in 1787 in the family home on Brunswick Street. His company's ship Britannia made its first transatlantic crossing from Liverpool to Halifax in 1840.

Jim Spatz dedicated the property this afternoon in front of a group that included Cunard Line president Richard Meadows and QM2 captain Kevin Oprey.

The project is till slated to start this fall with a 2018 completion date.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2015, 5:58 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's good to hear updates for this project. It's going to be highly visible and I think it will have a big impact on the feel of the city. The waterfront is arguably Halifax's marquee attraction and public space but it's not very consistent. Some parts are nicely developed and others are just parking lots. When the Cunard lot is developed there will at least be a well-developed stretch running from the seaport to Bishop's Landing.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 12:38 AM

Also good to see Southwest in charge of it. They're serious and get things done efficiently. No lagging for years...

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 12:42 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterfactual View Post
Also good to see Southwest in charge of it. They're serious and get things done efficiently. No lagging for years...
It's kind of interesting because they developed Bishop's Landing around 2000. Centennial was selected over Southwest by the WDCL for the Salter block around 2005, but that was never built. If Cunard Quay goes up, that will make Southwest the only developers to successfully build any major new buildings (not counting conversions) along the waterfront during the past 20 years or so.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 4:07 AM

Quote:
It's kind of interesting because they developed Bishop's Landing around 2000. Centennial was selected over Southwest by the WDCL for the Salter block around 2005, but that was never built. If Cunard Quay goes up, that will make Southwest the only developers to successfully build any major new buildings (not counting conversions) along the waterfront during the past 20 years or so.
That seems to happen too often. Also in the Tex Park site, Southwest bid and lost to United Gulf, and we know how well that development has gone-- basically 10 years worth of idiotic proposals, and still nothing.

WDCL and HRM have made some really dumb decisions in the past, often in this tenders selecting a bid because it saves a few dollars vs. superior designs and/or superior track records of actual development.

Is the Salter Block ever happening?

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 3:19 PM

Quote:
That seems to happen too often. Also in the Tex Park site, Southwest bid and lost to United Gulf, and we know how well that development has gone-- basically 10 years worth of idiotic proposals, and still nothing.

WDCL and HRM have made some really dumb decisions in the past, often in this tenders selecting a bid because it saves a few dollars vs. superior designs and/or superior track records of actual development.

Is the Salter Block ever happening?

I think if you look at the total record over their lifespan, WDCL has been a prime example of a govt organization that has really been quite ineffective and wasteful. Even though they do not have huge budgets, their glacial pace of getting developments selected, approved and constructed has been ridiculously bad, and a lot of what they have managed to a achieve is rather underwhelming. Their main skill seems to be running parking lots. If you look at what they started with decades ago and then look at the state of things today, while it is certainly better than nothing, one has to wonder what we would have had if a different approach had been taken all those years ago with less govt involvement.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 5:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I think if you look at the total record over their lifespan, WDCL has been a prime example of a govt organization that has really been quite ineffective and wasteful. Even though they do not have huge budgets, their glacial pace of getting developments selected, approved and constructed has been ridiculously bad, and a lot of what they have managed to a achieve is rather underwhelming. Their main skill seems to be running parking lots. If you look at what they started with decades ago and then look at the state of things today, while it is certainly better than nothing, one has to wonder what we would have had if a different approach had been taken all those years ago with less govt involvement.
I wonder why this is. Maybe the parking lot revenue gives them a disincentive to develop their land. I think they do collect lease payments from developers but they might make more from parking.

Andy Fillmore is now working for the WDCL. Hopefully he will push to increase the pace of development. Tons of development seems to be happening in the city everywhere but along the waterfronts.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
ng.

Andy Fillmore is now working for the WDCL. Hopefully he will push to increase the pace of development. Tons of development seems to be happening in the city everywhere but along the waterfronts.
Andy Fillmore left WDCL some time ago for his liberal nomination. I don't think anyone is filling his shoes at WDCL anymore.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 12:50 AM

Quote:
I wonder why this is. Maybe the parking lot revenue gives them a disincentive to develop their land. I think they do collect lease payments from developers but they might make more from parking.

He was 'just visiting' WDC. He seems to move around a lot.
In the unlikely event he defeats Megan 1st Class Leslie he'll be just another backbencher. I cannot understand why he considers Ottawa an attraction.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
He was 'just visiting' WDC. He seems to move around a lot.
In the unlikely event he defeats Megan 1st Class Leslie he'll be just another backbencher. I cannot understand why he considers Ottawa an attraction.
Because the Provincial Liberal Party are mostly a bunch of idiots? Much like the Provincial NDP. And the Provincial Conservatives. I should just say, Nova Scotia Provincial Politics more generally.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Andy Fillmore left WDCL some time ago for his liberal nomination. I don't think anyone is filling his shoes at WDCL anymore.
Presume he's taken leave, and that the position has not been filled pending him returning if he loses the next election.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Presume he's taken leave, and that the position has not been filled pending him returning if he loses the next election.
either way he's not doing anything in the position for quit some time, they probably have a ball of lint filling his job for the time being

Old Posted Jul 13, 2015, 8:08 PM

Quote:
either way he's not doing anything in the position for quit some time, they probably have a ball of lint filling his job for the time being
Agree, Andy has been huge in helping build our city.

With any luck, he'll probably lose to Leslie and he can go back to making Halifax better.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2015, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Agree, Andy has been huge in helping build our city.

With any luck, he'll probably lose to Leslie and he can go back to making Halifax better.
Mark your ballot accordingly.
In Ottawa he'd be near the bottom of the Nova Scotia pecking order with Regan at the top followed by Bryson then Eyking & Cuzner.
I wonder what his views are re climate change and the impact on coastal Nova Scotia. I would advise him to visit BIO and Dal.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth