HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McAvity View Post
Name another American city that has not had a building crack the top 5 tallest buildings in that city in the past 30 years. Like I said, other than Dallas

Both cities have been deadsville for a very long time
How many 900 footers outside of NYC have been constructed in this country in the past 30 years outside of NYC which Houston has 3 of? Conveniently create whatever guideline you want; especially a guideline that would have been met 2 years ago shy of 10 feet. LOL.

I do not even care about tall buildings but why can't Austin ever stay out of grown folk's conversation? Austin's tallest would be the 13th tallest building if it were in Houston. There's an Austin skyline behind Houston's skyline. Austin has about 40% of Houston's population. About the same number of 300+ footers that have been built in Austin vs. Houston since the year 2000.

Last edited by Cory; Sep 6, 2019 at 7:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:06 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
How many 900 footers outside of NYC have been constructed in this country in the past 30 years outside of NYC which Houston has 3 of? Conveniently create whatever guideline you want; especially a guideline that would have been met 2 years ago shy of 10 feet. LOL.

I do not even care about tall buildings but why can't Austin ever stay out of grown folk's conversation? Austin's tallest would be the 13th tallest building if it were in Houston. There's an Austin skyline behind Houston's skyline. Austin has about 40% of Houston's population. About the same number of 300+ footers that have been built in Austin vs. Houston since the year 2000.
I meant proportionally to the population when referring to Austin. There's an 850 foot building breaking ground soon which would be fourth tallest in Houston, which is a much bigger city.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
I meant proportionally to the population when referring to Austin.
So did I.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 8:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Very true, they're rapidly growing cities as well, odd they don't build more skyscrapers, like say, Austin. Atlanta too..
Exactly, and that's what so baffling

I did find one city that hasn't had any new top five buildings built and that's Buffalo, although unlike Dallas and Houston which have really been growing, Buffalo's been shrinking for years

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
^Exactly, and that's what so baffling

I did find one city that hasn't had any new top five buildings built and that's Buffalo, mind you Buffalo's been shrinking for years
It's a meaningless guideline especially for cities that are already extremely tall. What are you going to discredit Seattle's growth also?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 9:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Name another American city that has not had a building crack the top 5 tallest buildings in that city in the past 30 years. Like I said, other than Dallas

Most supertalls going up are now residential and Houston/ Dallas are slow to the residential highrise scene even though both cities have quite a few either already built or u/c. The demand just isn't as strong here compared to most other cities. Very tall office towers are still far and few between even in cities like New York, Chicago where the vast majority of the big towers are still residential.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 10:52 PM
Selfie-stick vendor

I’m happier than colossal real estate investments in Houston have basically turned the inner loop from being parking lots and welfare housing into a fun and interesting , densely populated place, instead of being dropped on a a couple of trophy towers

Houston has 30000-50000 apartments under construction basically all the time, btw

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:25 PM

Quote:

Last year I made this list: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=8345804

Quote:
Very true, they're rapidly growing cities as well, odd they don't build more skyscrapers, like say, Austin. Atlanta too..
Similar to Los Angeles, Houston tends to spread out laterally, instead of concentrating lots of skyscrapers within a small area.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:29 AM

This is moving at a rapid rate. It's amazing.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:47 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post

Houston has 30000-50000 apartments under construction basically all the time, btw
Lets hope it continues. I think we all like high rises, but if a lot of these units are in the form of mid-rises, I guess its a win-win in a way. Better than single family houses that just sprawl.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 9:04 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
It's a meaningless guideline especially for cities that are already extremely tall. What are you going to discredit Seattle's growth also?
It's not meaningless at all

In the past 10 years New York City, Cincinnati, Miami, Los Angeles, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Las Vegas have all had a new tallest building however neither Dallas nor Houston have added a new building to their top five list in the past thirty years in spite of both cities vastly outpacing many of the aforementioned cities in terms of growth

As for Seattle, it's second tallest building is well underway and it's fifth tallest building just finished a couple of years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Thanks for your lists, I had forgotten about them

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_denizen View Post
I’m happier than colossal real estate investments in Houston have basically turned the inner loop from being parking lots and welfare housing into a fun and interesting , densely populated place, instead of being dropped on a a couple of trophy towers

Were you thinking the inner loop close to downtown? Much of the Inner Loop (which is defined as within Loop 610) for many decades has been affluent homes, condos, townhomes, parks, the enormous med center, Museum district, even the Ship Channel (including the turning basin), etc. But close to downtown, e.g., Midtown, things didn't take off until relatively recently. Other parts of the Inner Loop are anything but nice. I think of the portions of the Inner Loop from southwest through northwest of downtown as the best (e.g., West University and surroundings, Museum District, Med Center, Montrose, Heights, Memorial Park district, Bellaire (within the loop) to name a few areas) and I would leave Austin in a heartbeat if I could afford to live in the nice parts of the Inner Loop of Houston. Those areas have been exploding with development for quite some time. Other parts of the Inner Loop have a very long way to go (if they ever do), although there are areas that are beginning to gentrify.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 2:18 AM

Quote:
It's not meaningless at all

In the past 10 years New York City, Cincinnati, Miami, Los Angeles, Oklahoma City, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Las Vegas have all had a new tallest building however neither Dallas nor Houston have added a new building to their top five list in the past thirty years in spite of both cities vastly outpacing many of the aforementioned cities in terms of growth

As for Seattle, it's second tallest building is well underway and it's fifth tallest building just finished a couple of years ago

Thanks for your lists, I had forgotten about them
Are you maybe forgetting the multitude of new talls in both Houston and Dallas that aren't in the top five?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 11:08 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AviationGuy View Post
Are you maybe forgetting the multitude of new talls in both Houston and Dallas that aren't in the top five?
"Multitude"? You're kidding, right? Even if we lower the bar to 400 footers both cities combined have 7 projects underway which is probably 1/5th as much as Toronto has just by itself. Maybe Dallas and Houston are victims of their own success but their skylines have been almost catatonic for decades which would make sense if there were no growth in them but both cities have been growing by leaps and bounds but their skylines have barely budged in eons. Compare them to similar-sized cities like Miami, Philadelphia and Toronto and you might get my point

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
"Multitude"? You're kidding, right? Even if we lower the bar to 400 footers both cities combined have 7 projects underway which is probably 1/5th as much as Toronto has just by itself. Maybe Dallas and Houston are victims of their own success but their skylines have been almost catatonic for decades which would make sense if there were no growth in them but both cities have been growing by leaps and bounds but their skylines have barely budged in eons. Compare them to similar-sized cities like Miami, Philadelphia and Toronto and you might get my point
Not kidding at all. Since this is a Houston thread, I will say that the skylines of Houston have grown by leaps and bounds, at least the secondary skylines. The "multitude" of new talls are largely in the secondary skylines.

Since this is a Houston thread, I really don't give a flip about Toronto or Miami (unless I'm visiting their threads). I don't want to get into city vs city here. Isn't that against SSP policy anyway? At least it used to be.

Last edited by AviationGuy; Sep 10, 2019 at 5:35 AM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:12 AM
Meh

Houston and Dallas are unique cases since they each have a large number of high rises outside of their downtown areas. There are only a few cities in the US with the number of high rises and even sizeable sub-downtown skylines that those two have. The reason Houston and Dallas aren't seeing more 600 and 700 footers or buildings taller than that in their downtowns is that those two cities have zoning that allows for tall buildings outside of downtown. Ironically, them allowing more tall buildings outside of downtown even taller than what most US cities would allow has actually decreased the chance they'll see many tall buildings in downtown. This is simply because it's cheaper for developers to build one or two 25-story office towers 7 miles from downtown Houston than it would be to build a single 50-story office tower in downtown. Also, Houston and Dallas are big cities with even bigger metros. It just doesn't make sense anymore to be completely centralized in a place like Houston. Developers can build high rises anywhere in the city and it'll still be convenient for whatever workforce will occupy their buildings. And it's not just office towers, which tend to be grouped in districts, but they're seeing residential towers spread all over the city. It's not that these cities have weak economies or a fear of height, it's just that their zoning has created a situation where taller buildings 600+ feet aren't as necessary as they were 30+ years ago when zoning rules weren't allowing tall buildings around the corner from single family neighborhoods in every section of the city. I know better than to think those two aren't seeing a lot of high rise development. Anyway, leave the bruised egos, boosterism and city vs city stuff out of it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Houston... allowing more tall buildings outside of downtown even taller than what most US cities would allow has actually decreased the chance they'll see many tall buildings in downtown.
I don't know about Dallas (as a native Houstonian, I don't want to know about Dallas ), but don't you think the real reason in Houston is because there's already a glut of office space available? And with Exxon and Shell having moved to the suburbs, it's only gotten worse. Much of the construction of tall structures in the US and Canada is residential. Houston has yet to fully embrace living in high rises.

Last edited by bilbao58; Sep 10, 2019 at 5:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:

Until a few years ago, this crtiterion would have nearly applied to SF. We (or they, I guess) had the Millenium Tower and Rincon Hill Tower constructed in the mid-2000s, which were both just barely taller than the existing fifth-tallest building in the city. They were the first tall buildings I remembered being constructed in SF.

It's really only a recent thing in SF with the tech boom, which has produced two tall towers.

Last edited by SFBruin; Sep 10, 2019 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 6:58 PM

Oh, I guess that this could have applied to Chicago pre-2009, though I am not as familiar with that city.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 8:37 PM
Meh

So, just for the fun of it since I was curious myself, I did a list of the cities with and without a building in their top 5 tallest that was built within the last 30 years. I was expecting the number to be larger for the ones that didn't have a new building built, but I'm surprised it's as low as it is. Still, there is a decent number of cities here that are close to the threshold that Phil mentioned that are within a couple of years away from ending up in the 2nd category, and these aren't exactly unhealthy cities either.

Cities with a building in their top 5 tallest within the last 30 years:

Most recent building in that ranking.

Arlington - 2018
Atlanta - 1992
Austin - 2019
Baltimore - 2018
Bellevue - 2017
Birmingham - 1989
Boston - 2019
Charlotte - 2019
Chicago - 2019
Cincinnati - 2011
Cleveland - 1991
Columbus - 1990
Denver - 2017
Des Moines - 1991 - *The Fifth U/C - 2021
Detroit - 1993 - *Hudson Tower U/C - 2023
El Paso - 1986 - *Weststar Tower at Hunt Plaza U/C - 2020
Fort Lauderdale - 2018
Hartford - 2006
Honolulu - 2017
Indianapolis - 1990
Jacksonville - 2006
Jersey City - 2016
Las Vegas - 2010 - *The Drew Las Vegas U/C - 2020
Los Angeles - 2017
Louisville - 2018
Miami - 2018
Miami Beach - 2004
Milwaukee - 2017
Minneapolis - 1992
Mobile - 2007
Nashville - 2018
New York - 2019
Oakland - 1990
Oklahoma City - 2012
Omaha - 2004
Orlando - 2010
Philadelphia - 2018
Phoenix - 2010
Portland - 2016
Providence - 2007
Raleigh - 2019
Reno - 1995
Richmond - 2019
Sacramento - 2009
Saint Louis - 2000
Salt Lake City - 2016
San Antonio - 2008
San Diego - 2015
San Francisco - 2018
Seattle - 2019
Tampa - 2009
Winston-Salem - 1995

Cities without a building in their top 5 tallest within the last 30 years:

Albany - 1973
Buffalo - 1974
Dallas - 1987
Fort Worth - 1984
Houston - 1987
Kansas City - 1988
Little Rock - 1986
New Orleans - 1987
Pittsburgh - 1988
St. Paul - 1988
Tulsa - 1984

Thou shall not indict

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Sep 11, 2019 at 1:18 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive