HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jul 10, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post

Trust me, I'm on your side and would love to see cool new highrise developments downtown, but I think it's very farfetched to imagine Halifax can sustain a large skyscraper city. We are just far too small and there aren't enough people to pack into many, if any, 50 and 60 story buildings.
Exactly. The city doesn't lack megatall buildings because of development-stifling NIMBYism, it lacks them due to the fact that it has fewer than half a million people. I can't think of any cities in our size range with a lot of major highrises—even Hamilton, with a larger population and well within the economic orbit of the GTA, is basically on par with us for highrises. (It's highest buildings are a bit higher, but I think we have more buildings over 200 ft).

This is partly why the whole Skye thing was ridiculous, or why calls to pack the Cogswell lands with 60-storey towers sound kinda...silly. Anyway, as I've said on here ad nauseam, I'm way more excited by all the infilling happening nowadays then I am by huge-ass buildings. Would rather see the city stitched together to be awesome at the street level than built up to the sky and look cool from a distance.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues