HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One Vanderbilt in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 6:23 PM

Looking at these renders, I'm getting the idea that starting from the base of the crown (BTW exactly where does it begin?), there should be increasing translucency to the upper setback/ spire being a transparent element.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:16 PM
New Yorker for life

November 9, 2014

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 2:39 PM
New Yorker for life

More great renders taken from www.cityrealty.com

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 5:40 PM
BANNED

I'm not a huge fan of the crown. I think they needed to pay less deference to the old towers (ESB). I'm not into these respectful gestures to old styles, I prefer going with fresh approaches.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 1:21 AM
New Yorker for life

The crown needs more work, the spire more length. I'm not the biggest fan of the Nordstrom Tower's spire (though I don't mind it), but it sure as hell needs it when you look at the crop of towers coming. New York's skyline should forever be crown by spires.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 10:53 PM

I don't mind the crown so much, at least it gives it something different than many of the glass boxes I've seen.

NYguy: is that a screenshot? the quality looks not as nice as the original...

Old Posted Nov 16, 2014, 9:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantj View Post
I don't mind the crown so much, at least it gives it something different than many of the glass boxes I've seen.

I believe the second is a screenshot.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 2:53 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The crown needs more work, the spire more length. I'm not the biggest fan of the Nordstrom Tower's spire (though I don't mind it), but it sure as hell needs it when you look at the crop of towers coming. New York's skyline should forever be crown by spires.
It's a matter of opinion. I feel that they are designing far too many towers that pay deference to old styles from the 30's and 60's in NY today, including a crown with a spire on top and a simple modernist boxes. Vanderbilt is predictably a new take on the ESB. NY would be wise to looking at newer styles. However, it seems to like to be conservative in design. In one way it creates a cohesive whole for the city, in another way NY loses out on having amazing examples of cutting edge designs. In order to stay current in the world of futuristic looking towers, I think NY needs to say goodbye to the old styles for a while. I also don't buy the grid as an excuse. The grid only applies to the bottom of the tower, which needs to be square and fill in the street wall and lot.

Last edited by aquablue; Nov 17, 2014 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
It's a matter of opinion. I feel that they are designing far too many towers that pay deference to old styles from the 30's and 60's in NY today, including a crown with a spire on top and a simple modernist boxes. Vanderbilt is predictably a new take on the ESB. NY would be wise to looking at newer styles. However, it seems to like to be conservative in design. In one way it creates a cohesive whole for the city, in another way NY loses out on having amazing examples of cutting edge designs. In order to stay current in the world of futuristic looking towers, I think NY needs to say goodbye to the old styles for a while. I also don't buy the grid as an excuse. The grid only applies to the bottom of the tower, which needs to be square and fill in the street wall and lot.
I completely disagree. There are very few, if any, outside of RAM designed buildings (and they are more PoMo) in NY that pay deference to the 30s-40s, i.e. deco and and art moderne. None of the new skyscrapers are nearly as graceful on the skyline.

Generally, the 1960s international style gene dominates architecture in new buildings, mainly because it's the most efficient design, and developers care more about money than aesthetics of the cityscape (unfortunately).

One Vanderbilt hardly pays homage to the Empire State Building. It has set backs at the top. That's it. In the renderings posted above, it looks way too fat for the look it's going for IMO.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantj View Post

I see you've uploaded a better version...

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:45 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...e#.VGpeDZDF-XE

SL Green Signs TD Bank as Anchor Office and Retail Tenant at One Vanderbilt
New World Class Development with $210 Million of Public Transit Improvements

November 17, 2014

Quote:
SL Green Realty Corp. (NYSE:SLG) today announced that TD Bank has signed a long-term lease to become the office and retail anchor tenant at One Vanderbilt, SL Green’s proposed tower adjacent to Grand Central Terminal in the heart of New York’s Midtown commercial district. TD Bank will occupy approximately 200,000 square feet of space in One Vanderbilt, including a flagship retail store on the northeast corner of 42nd Street and Madison Avenue, demonstrating TD Bank’s commitment to East Midtown.

SL Green will deliver TD Bank its space in One Vanderbilt in 2020.

SL Green President Andrew Mathias said, “Securing a major tenant of TD Bank’s caliber more than five years before One Vanderbilt is due to open makes a tremendous statement about this iconic building and the need for new, modern and efficient office space in East Midtown. We are grateful to Mayor de Blasio and his administration for their vision in supporting the modernization of the Vanderbilt Corridor and a project that will generate $210 million in public improvements. We look forward to continuing the dialogue with the community, Borough President Brewer, Council Member Garodnick and other stakeholders as part of the ongoing public review process.”

TD Bank is one of the 10 largest banks in the U.S., providing more than 8 million customers with a full range of retail, small business and commercial banking products and services. TD Bank opened its first branch in New York in 2001 and now has 124 branches in the five boroughs, including 16 branches that opened this calendar year alone.

“The move to One Vanderbilt will allow us to consolidate our New York City offices into one regional headquarters, and will offer an outstanding experience and great brand visibility for our employees and our customers,” said Christopher Giamo, Regional President, TD Bank’s Metro New York market. “This move underscores our commitment to the New York market and solidifies our presence as a major North American financial institution. With the building designed to exceed LEED Gold requirements under the new LEED 4.0 guidelines, this also aligns with our commitment to reducing carbon emissions as an environmental leader.”

Deputy Mayor for Housing and Economic Development Alicia Glen said: “We've set out to ensure East Midtown can compete for the companies and jobs of the 21st century. The announcement that TD Bank will anchor One Vanderbilt is exciting news that will strengthen our position as the global financial capital. And what's significant is that TD Bank has made this choice, not because of tax breaks or subsidies, but because of sound investments we are fostering in new office space and infrastructure. This is a model for how we intend to keep our economy growing.”

One Vanderbilt will feature 1.6 million square feet of open and efficient LEED-certified Class A office space on the entire block of Vanderbilt Avenue between East 42nd and East 43rd Street. As part of the development, SL Green will deliver a $210 million package of public transit infrastructure improvements which will create critically-needed transit connections to Metro-North and 4/5/6/7 and S trains, as well as future East Side Access LIRR lines. With the vast majority of funding allocated to upgrading the commuting experience in the over-burdened Grand Central 4/5/6 station, this unprecedented private investment will significantly improve pedestrian flow, allowing for more trains to enter the station, as well as alleviate crowding and circulation on mezzanine and platform levels. One Vanderbilt is currently undergoing the City’s formal public review process, expected to conclude next spring.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:46 PM

Huge news!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:59 PM
New Yorker for life

It's great news. This tower is on it's way to becoming 3rd tallest in the city and the country (at least at this point)

http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/20...ank-as-tenant/

Planned 1,500-foot New York Skyscraper Lures TD Bank as Tenant

By ELIOT BROWN
November 17, 2014

Quote:
TD Bank has signed a lease to take 200,000 square feet of office and retail at One Vanderbilt Ave., SL Green announced Monday, giving a big boost to the landlord’s proposed 1.6 million square-foot building that is to soar 1,500 feet to the top of its spire.

The bank—headquartered in Toronto—currently has a number of offices in different Manhattan locations, and has been mulling a move and expansion in the city for months. The company plans to use the tower to consolidate offices into a regional headquarters that “will offer an outstanding experience and great brand visibility for our employees and our customers,” Christopher Giamo, regional president for TD Bank’s Metro New York market, said in a press release.

http://nypost.com/2014/11/17/td-bank...ne-vanderbilt/

TD Bank to anchor 65-story One Vanderbilt

By Lois Weiss
November 17, 2014

Quote:
TD Bank has officially completed a deal for 200,000 square-foot corporate office and retail deal with SL Green Realty Corp. to become the anchor tenant for the proposed 65-story One Vanderbilt Ave. the Post has learned.

The 15-year transaction would begin in 2020 and provide room for growth for the bank.

According to sources, the bank sent out a memo on Monday, noting it would bring employees for a regional headquarters from both 444 Madison Ave. and 317 Madison, which will be demolished to make way for the new LEED Gold tower that would rise on the full block between E. 42nd and 43rd streets, Madison and Vanderbilt avenues.

An official releasewas to go out later today as both the bank and the developer, SL Green are publicly traded companies.

The bank will have a new branch in the retail portion of the building at 42nd St. and Vanderbilt Ave. with branding aka TD Bank signs that will extend to the second floor of the building designed by Kohn Pederson Fox.

The deal also includes ATMs that would be installed in a new vestibule in a new underground corridor to Grand Central, subways and the Long Island Railroad.

As a unique deal bonus, TD Bank will also obtain 30 minutes a day for advertisements on the colorful billboard on top of 1515 Broadway in Times Square where SL Green owns several projects with spectacular area signage including the American Eagle store and 1552 Broadway.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 9:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Fantastic! With the demand for new office space to replace the 60's stock, this tower should have no problem signing on more tenants. Exciting times!

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 12:31 AM
World Machine

That's huge news indeed! More will certainly follow.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 4:50 AM
New Yorker for life

It's a little odd announcing tenants for a tower that has yet to be approved (though we know it's headed that way, there are the disgruntled who will point this out).

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...icle-1.2013846

Quote:
"The move to One Vanderbilt will allow us to consolidate our New York City offices into one regional headquarters, and will offer an outstanding
experience and great brand visibility for our employees and our customers," said Christopher Giamo, regional president at TD Bank.

Video Link

http://www.6sqft.com/one-vanderbilt-...ag-supertower/

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 5:34 AM

Those are some disappointing graphics with regards to the highest occupied floors. Looks like a LOT of apparently wasted superstructure above the mechanical floors -around 200 feet by the looks of it, and that's not counting the spire. That equates to a highest occupied floor/observation deck of 1200 ft for a building that's 1414 ft to the actual roof. The original twin towers observatory was at 1313 ft with an actual roof height of 1368 ft.
What gives?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 7:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermetAJ View Post
I completely disagree. There are very few, if any, outside of RAM designed buildings (and they are more PoMo) in NY that pay deference to the 30s-40s, i.e. deco and and art moderne. None of the new skyscrapers are nearly as graceful on the skyline.

Generally, the 1960s international style gene dominates architecture in new buildings, mainly because it's the most efficient design, and developers care more about money than aesthetics of the cityscape (unfortunately).

One Vanderbilt hardly pays homage to the Empire State Building. It has set backs at the top. That's it. In the renderings posted above, it looks way too fat for the look it's going for IMO.
I think it looks very reminiscent of the ESB. It's a modern take on the ESB.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:10 AM
BANNED

I agree.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2014, 8:17 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramsjdg View Post
Those are some disappointing graphics with regards to the highest occupied floors. Looks like a LOT of apparently wasted superstructure above the mechanical floors
-around 200 feet by the looks of it, and that's not counting the spire. That equates to a highest occupied floor/observation deck of 1200 ft for a building that's 1414 ft to the actual roof.
The original twin towers observatory was at 1313 ft with an actual roof height of 1368 ft.
What gives?

The WTC had very large floor plates. The upper portion of this tower is a very small space, amounts to basically the spire of the building. Maybe they will put a private club up there,
like the space in the higher portions of 30 Hudson.

Also, the WTC towers had 4 msf to work with. There is a limited amount of floorspace to work with in this building, which isn't actually considered one of the "large" New York towers
in terms of floor space.

This is a tower that's being driven not only by the need for new office space in the area, but by the developers desire to build a skyline icon, which has been their goal since announcing plans
for a large tower here. The building doesn't have to be as tall as it is. It's that tall for the above reason.

An imagined space in those higher places. Practical? Maybe not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive