HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 5:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny golden View Post
Could they be using this one to start and then go with a full tower crane later on?
Maybe. That's what they did at 66 Weldon, and, I suspect that's what'll happen at 106-124 Weldon too. There is a mini tower crane on site there too, but since this will be a six storey building (just like 66 Weldon), I imagine they will put in a real tower crane to top off that building as well.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 6, 2021 at 6:02 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2021, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Maybe. That's what they did at 66 Weldon, and, I suspect that's what'll happen at 106-124 Weldon too. There is a mini tower crane on site there too, but since this will be a six storey building (just like 66 Weldon), I imagine they will put in a real tower crane to top off that building as well.
Well the Tides is 5 floors, so maybe the mini tower crane will be sufficient. But still, I thought for sure we'd see a tower crane at this site.

Old Posted May 7, 2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish1 View Post
The Sparkle Dry Cleaners business at 699 Coverdale was closed about 12 years ago. Because it was a dry cleaners, it required expensive soil testing in order to receive a clean bill of health from the province, which proved to be an impediment to resale for more than a decade.

Hub Renovations spent almost a year working with the owner, local environmental company, the town, and the province to clear the title and the property and make it useable once again as a retail or commercial property.

The soil on the property has been cleared by the province.

The building itself was built as a house in 1948 and is in excellent shape, despite the awful appearance of the cladding and shingles. Unfortunately modern commercial code makes the building impractical for renovations and reuse.

The land and building or building alone has been for sale for the past six months, but the cost of moving or removing the building remained an impediment. Reluctant to smash and relegate a perfectly good structure to landfill, Hub Renovations contracted Nuttall Restorations to disassemble, save and remove the structure for reuse elsewhere.

The land will be flattened and regraded to allow a new structure to be built at this prime location.
Drove by this area earlier, and the building has now been removed. The foundation and floor are still there and interestingly you can see some of the dry cleaning equipment still in place!

Being such a prime location, it will be interesting to see what plans the developer has for this lot.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 4:40 PM

Have they now started filling in the channel by the gates? Looks like it at the start of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KvvKByP4-o

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Have they now started filling in the channel by the gates? Looks like it at the start of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KvvKByP4-o
I just realized upon watching that video that they could probably now close the gates and let the river run underneath the new bridge. It would probably help with things when they go to close up that part of the river anyway.

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I just realized upon watching that video that they could probably now close the gates and let the river run underneath the new bridge. It would probably help with things when they go to close up that part of the river anyway.
I'm not 100% positive, but I don't think that's possible any more. I remember that when the gates were open you could see these big steel plates within the gate structure, and when closed these would be lowered. The plates haven't been there for quite a while. afaik

Old Posted May 9, 2021, 11:27 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

They're definitely still there.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 1:16 AM

You can see the gates around the 2:47 mark on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuRlqnw2vfQ&t=62s

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
You can see the gates around the 2:47 mark on this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuRlqnw2vfQ&t=62s
Yes I can see them below. I wonder if they'll close them to stop the flow of the river through the gates. Wouldn't it make the in-fill job easier?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Yes I can see them below. I wonder if they'll close them to stop the flow of the river through the gates. Wouldn't it make the in-fill job easier?
That’s the whole question I’m asking. I imagine they should be able to do that at any point now shouldn’t they?

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
That’s the whole question I’m asking. I imagine they should be able to do that at any point now shouldn’t they?
I actually just noticed in the description below the video that it says exactly that. One gate has now been closed, and the others will shortly. You'd think that it would be better if they were closed when they do the fill in job to block the channel there.

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:15 PM

Quote:
I actually just noticed in the description below the video that it says exactly that. One gate has now been closed, and the others will shortly. You'd think that it would be better if they were closed when they do the fill in job to block the channel there.

The plan is to close the gates and then fill in the whole area

Old Posted May 10, 2021, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
The plan is to close the gates and then fill in the whole area
Yep. Then the river flows strictly under the new bridge. Quite a project! It'll really change the whole look of the area.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:36 AM

The gates will be totally shut at 5 pm tomorrow, Tuesday.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 3:14 AM

Latest drone video showing the causeway replacement work being done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUSN00QcxT0

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 10:28 AM

Where on earth (pardon the pun) are they going to find the earth to fill all that space in? In the video above, take notice of the massive amount of crushed stone that is piled next to Coverdale Rd, then compare that to how much fill they will need to fill-in both sides of the gates to re-rout the river!

Last edited by tmacdougall; May 11, 2021 at 11:36 AM.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 11:07 AM
Random Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Where in earth (pardon the pun) are they going to find the earth to fill all that space in? In the video above, take notice of the massive amount of crushed stone that is piled next to Coverdale Rd, then compare that to how much fill they will need to fill-in both sides of the gates to re-rout the river!
Seems to me that river does a fine job of filling itself in. Once the current digs itself a deeper channel under the new bridge, the water left around the gates will pool and I expect silt will just settle in there with every tide.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverviewer View Post
Seems to me that river does a fine job of filling itself in. Once the current digs itself a deeper channel under the new bridge, the water left around the gates will pool and I expect silt will just settle in there with every tide.
True, look how quick it took the river to fill in around the bridge piers on the Moncton side of the new bridge.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
Where on earth (pardon the pun) are they going to find the earth to fill all that space in? In the video above, take notice of the massive amount of crushed stone that is piled next to Coverdale Rd, then compare that to how much fill they will need to fill-in both sides of the gates to re-rout the river!
I was actually thinking the exact same thing. I wonder if we'll see them bring in some more fill? I hope the drone guy keeps posting videos. I find it very interesting watching the whole process as the work goes on.

Old Posted May 11, 2021, 9:26 PM

I'm looking forward to the next drone video now that the gates are permanently closed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces