HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Closed Thread

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 2:22 PM

I thought there was more width to that site than there appears. Failing a realignment of Windsor St., that location may not be feasible after all.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 4:13 PM

Too bad we couldn't relocate this sucker

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle1374848/

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 10:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
I thought there was more width to that site than there appears. Failing a realignment of Windsor St., that location may not be feasible after all.
It would be a great location if more land was available.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 11:07 PM
Honored Member

How many people find this use of the commons to be offensive? After all, it is being used for a skate-park and tennis courts and it belongs to the city. A stadium is recreational use which would provide an additional football and soccer field right downtown. It is close to public transit and SMU.

It is amazing how well a stadium would fit on that land.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
How many people find this use of the commons to be offensive? After all, it is being used for a skate-park and tennis courts and it belongs to the city. A stadium is recreational use which would provide an additional football and soccer field right downtown. It is close to public transit and SMU.
Having a private stadium on a public commons would not work. O.o It just runs contrary to the definition of what a commons is.

Yes, there are sports and recreation venues there now, but they're open to everyone, just about any time... You couldn't do that with a 20,000+ stadium - especially one which is intended primarily for use by private institutions.

I wouldn't want to see a stadium built on the commons. I'd rather see it built by Dartmouth Crossing or Bayers Lake.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 11:32 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
Having a private stadium on a public commons would not work. O.o It just runs contrary to the definition of what a commons is.

Yes, there are sports and recreation venues there now, but they're open to everyone, just about any time... You couldn't do that with a 20,000+ stadium - especially one which is intended primarily for use by private institutions.

I wouldn't want to see a stadium built on the commons. I'd rather see it built by Dartmouth Crossing or Bayers Lake.
Just to be clear, this is only a small portion of the Commons. There would still be plenty of open areas. Also, the Citadel High School was built on part of the Commons. Based on Wikipedia, the Commons at one time was much larger than it currently is.

I have a feeling that if this were built then in no time people would start to wonder how Halifax got by without it. (It would be like getting by without the Metro Centre). However, if it were built in this area it would have to be something very nice.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, this is only a small portion of the Commons. There would still be plenty of open areas. Also, the Citadel High School was built on part of the Commons. Based on Wikipedia, the Commons at one time was much larger than it currently is.

I have a feeling that if this were built then in no time people would start to wonder how Halifax got by without it. (It would be like getting by without the Metro Centre). However, if it were built in this area it would have to be something very nice.
The commons were much, much larger in the past. They've been nibbled away over the last several decades. Taking another large bite for a stadium would probably not be well looked upon, either.

A downtown stadium would be nice, but even I'd draw the line at building it on the commons.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 12:53 AM

the footprint of a stadium is only part of the land requirements, you got to have the parking to go with it.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:04 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
the footprint of a stadium is only part of the land requirements, you got to have the parking to go with it.
There is ample parking downtown and also around the Commons. The McCartney concert attracted about 50,000 people and the Main Commons was able to handle it. It has good public transit and fairly good connections to highways. (Do people differentiate between this area and the larger commons?)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:16 AM

Quote:
There is ample parking downtown and also around the Commons. The McCartney concert attracted about 50,000 people and the Main Commons was able to handle it. It has good public transit and fairly good connections to highways. (Do people differentiate between this area and the larger commons?)
Not sure i agree with ample downtown parking. Maybe today, but hopefully we will see more growth in the core, which will only increase the demand for parking as many projects don't have a whole lot of parking within their designs.

Public transit was increased for the event, furthermore the traffic and what not was unreal before, during, and after the event.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 1:59 AM
Honored Member

Images of Stadium locations

I have tried a 30,000 seat stadium (Calgary's McMahon with a tier of seats removed thus making it about 30K seats) on different sites throughout the Halifax/Dartmouth area. I have only done the most central locations which I feel have good public transit. I haven't done Dartmouth Crossings, Shannon Park and the Mainland Commons (off the peninsula) because I know that there is ample land in these areas for a stadium. One interesting possibility would be the areas surrounding the Dartmouth Shopping Centre since it has very good public transit and good access to highways. My favorite site is next to the Citadel High School. This is a controversial location but I think that it would be the most successful.

What do others think of these potential stadium sites?

Here is the list and images to show how a stadium would fit.

Next to the Dartmouth Sportsplex

On some mostly vacant land to the west of the Dartmouth Shopping Centre

At the foot of the MacDonald Bridge, to the north, right on the harbour

On a hillside park to the south of the Dartmouth Sportsplex. One section of stands could be built right into the hill.

Next to the Citadel High School where the skate-park is

North of the Halifax Forum

Last edited by fenwick16; Mar 9, 2011 at 9:48 AM. Reason: reduced font size

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:12 AM

I still like the idea of the Dartmouth Crossing area myself. Lots of local amenities, room to expand, decent road access, and if the office and residential developments for that area go ahead as discussed, it won't be as out in the middle of nowhere as it seems.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:21 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phalanx View Post
I still like the idea of the Dartmouth Crossing area myself. Lots of local amenities, room to expand, decent road access, and if the office and residential developments for that area go ahead as discussed, it won't be as out in the middle of nowhere as it seems.
There is the old quarry in that area that is a good start on a sunken bowl and it might be relatively inexpensive land. I just wonder if SMU will be interested in traveling that far. It would help to have them support the new stadium and play some games in it. I am not sure what percentage of people drive cars to events and what percentage relies on public transportation.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 2:28 AM
Salty Town

Russell Lake

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 3:51 AM
Honored Member

Thanks for the suggestion. This would have great views of the city from across the harbour.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 5:00 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. This would have great views of the city from across the harbour.
You could have club/media seats at the top and have windows overlooking the field and the harbour/hfx skyline......(SKYLINE STADIUM)

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 5:11 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire View Post
You could have club/media seats at the top and have windows overlooking the field and the harbour/hfx skyline......(SKYLINE STADIUM)
What do you think of the Dartmouth approach to the MacDonald Bridge. There are a few areas around the Dartmouth Shopping Centre and Sportsplex that seem to be big enough. This would have more bus connections than the Russell lake area to various points in the Halifax metro area and also a good view of the city. Still my favorite location is next to the Citadel High and Skate-Park in Halifax. I like the name, however, I am hoping for something like Sobeys Stadium and that they will pay the city for naming rights (no joke, I am completely serious).

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 6:26 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
What do you think of the Dartmouth approach to the MacDonald Bridge. There are a few areas around the Dartmouth Shopping Centre and Sportsplex that seem to be big enough. This would have more bus connections than the Russell lake area to various points in the Halifax metro area and also a good view of the city. Still my favorite location is next to the Citadel High and Skate-Park in Halifax. I like the name, however, I am hoping for something like Sobeys Stadium and that they will pay the city for naming rights (no joke, I am completely serious).
The wooded area next the the SportsPlex wouldn't be bad but there would be a lot of politics involved and parking/traffic issues. At Russell Lake you have good highway connections and you could have a round trip stadium shuttle form downtown to the stadium using both bridges. The ferry could also be utilized with two operating and build a new much larger one.

Emera Stadium
ManuLife Place
Tim Horton Centre
IMP Place
Clearwater Stadium
X-Wave Fitness Park
Scotia Bank Place East
Sobey Sport Complex

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 7:47 PM

Here's the link to the article I published on Spacing Atlantic with your letter:
http://spacingatlantic.ca/2009/11/25...um-in-halifax/

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:32 PM

Bear in mind that any site would probably have to be at least 200 meters square to accommodate a stadium of any size to allow for stands and parking... etc. The field alone is what... 160 feet x 360 feet? (approx. 50m x 110m). Few spots on the Peninsula fit that bill. I like the North End (near Superstore / Willow DND area). Makes sense. Great traffic connections to the MacKay and Bi-High. And Young Street is already a retail area so I some nicer bars and restaurants could spring up as a result.

Last edited by Takeo; Nov 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment