HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 6:46 PM
Meh

Arrow AUSTIN Metro Update Thread

http://www.statesman.com/news/conten.../0615wear.html

Quote:
GETTING THERE: BEN WEAR
At least for now, Reagan Boulevard heading nowhere
New 17-mile road in Williamson County runs through empty hills, though developers say they have plans for area.

Monday, June 15, 2009

Is Ronald Reagan Boulevard the new Road to Nowhere?

Readers with a little worn tread on their tires will remember Southwest Parkway as the original Austin-area road to take that title (long before, by the way, an Alaska bridge got a similar honorific). A road district formed by developers in the late 1980s built the seven-mile, six-lane road from MoPac Boulevard to Texas 71 about two miles southeast of the Village of Bee Cave.

Except that back then the village was basically the Trading Post store, some bees and, apparently, a cave. And RM 620, although Lakeway existed then, was still a rural road. Southwest Parkway really did head to nothing much, the classic suburban sprawl road, built not to serve existing need but rather to facilitate future development.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 3:52 AM

So if people aren't complaining about a lack of roads, planned roads that they don't want in their neighborhood, people are complain about roads in the middle of no where. Seriously?, Seriously?

Those same people must HATE West Texas then.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 4:17 AM
Meh

I'm not familiar with the Williamson County roads they mentioned, but Southwest Parkway does seem to go nowhere. There's a few apartment complexes, and then it connects up with the end of William Cannon and Highway 71. There are some really great and unexpected views of downtown from it as you're heading east though.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 20, 2009, 11:03 PM
passion for patterns

Southwest Parkway sure helps facilitate an easier commute into downtown though if you live north of the Y in Oak Hill - i.e. Lakeway and Bee Caves area people. And for the past 15 years, it's been pretty much undeveloped, but those AMD buildings were a shock to see. They're not only larger than expected but quite handsome buildings at that. SW Parkway will remain somewhat undeveloped because part of it is next to protected land, but I bet it'll just be like Bee Caves Road after another 10 years.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
I'm not familiar with the Williamson County roads they mentioned, but Southwest Parkway does seem to go nowhere. There's a few apartment complexes, and then it connects up with the end of William Cannon and Highway 71. There are some really great and unexpected views of downtown from it as you're heading east though.
If the article is referring to Ronald Reagan Blvd, then it is the Parmer Ln extension, where Parmer Ln used to end at 1431. There is development going on down that road as we speak, although very slow paced at the moment.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 4:49 AM

It's great, I use it when I need to get from Georgetown at 3405 and 29 to Austin during rush hour and there is quite a bit of development in the works. All spral ofcourse. Some nice acre lots up there and great trees.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 2:22 AM

New water park in Pflugerville could become reality by May 2010

The Community Impact Newspaper Volume 5 Issue 1 reports that Entrepreneur Jim Brisco plans to build a $16 million waterpark in Plugerville at the corner of Pecan Street and Toll 130 with construction to start in November and hopefully open for business May 2010 pending approval from the City of Pflugerville for the sale of the 50 acres of land to Brisco. The 50 acres will provide enough room to build the 14 acre park and a 12 acre parking lot with room to expand. Brisco said the project is going to be very high end with elaborate, Asian-type theming. The park will be called the Blu - Bambu. It will be much larger than Volente Beach Waterpark, but smaller than Schlitterbahn. It will feature a large wave pool, a stage for after hours and off season concerts, an action river, a longer lazy river, 8 - 10 large water slides, activity areas for young children, sand volleyball courts and covered pavilions. Also, a hot tub and swim-up bar, concession stands, and "wet walks" with sprays and fountains to prevent hot pavement. Approximate one day ticket prices are $22 adult and $18 child with season pass prices TBD.
From the conceptual drawing, this looks like something decent for our area and I hope it gets built. It looks like it will. I don't know how they can build the whole thing in 6 months like they're saying, looks pretty big. City of Pflugerville will be voting on the land sale later this month. let's hope they say yes.

Go to www.impactnews.com to check it out.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 2:40 AM

Very cool. It will bring alot of vistors, and also play a good role for the people during the summer heat. btw wasn't Cedar Park also getting a water park?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2009, 3:03 AM

I doubt Cedar Park will get one especially if this one gets built, but you never know. The Pflugerville location would only be minutes away from Cedar Park and most of the Austin area via the toll roads. If done right, and I mean build it large enough and add new features every year, it could become a tourist destination for out of towners who will no doubt visit other local attractions such as Inner Space Caverns and Austin's Downtown. If they wanted to build it in Austin and were counting on approval from the City of Austin, I wouldn't have bothered posting this because it probably wouldn't get done, but Pflugerville wants this park. If the sale of the land and it's price tag is approved and acceptable, this WILL happen. With the newly constructed Lake Pflugerville nearby, they have access to plenty of water of which 25% of the useage would be returned to the lake. A recent survey showed 75% of those surveyed would buy season tickets. I live 5 minutes away, I'm there!!
Build it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2009, 11:35 PM
Meh

TV: Downtown Round Rock to expand

Quote:
TV: Downtown Round Rock to expand

08:38 PM CDT on Monday, September 7, 2009

By JIM BERGAMO / KVUE News

Round Rock's historic downtown district consists of two blocks.

Not nearly enough, according to city leaders, to keep shops, restaurants and offices active 24/7, 365 days a year. So they say say it is time to expand, and local business owners say they're on board.

Eight months ago, Deborah Stevenson opened Friar Tucks Pantry, a cafe, tea and coffee house located in the heart of the downtown Round Rock's historic district.
Read the rest here:
http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori...15942863e.html

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 9:31 PM

When you come into RR, its difficult to find the center of town and when you do, its insignificant. Main actually becomes 620 at I35 just a few blocks away so the traffic flow through the Mays and Main intersection is not pedestrian friendly. With historic mansions directly to the east and I35 to the west, it will be very difficult to come up with a plan that will give it the kind of DT feel like, say Georgetown has. With the plans for developement at 79 and Mays all but cancelled, I can only wonder if any of this gets underway any time soon. They are making a century's old water tower their main focal point, tells me how little they have to work with.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 10:01 PM
Meh

Yeah, I thought the water tower thing was funny. It's such a small town cliche, but the again, Round Rock has just over 100,000 people now. Round Rock is the epitome of suburbs. Centerless and sprawling. And besides for economic/business reasons, I'm not sure they care to change things.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Sep 11, 2009, 5:52 AM

The true "Main Street" in RR is I35. RR has no real DT, is made up of strip centers, neighborhoods and schools, and apartment houses, some great overpasses, shopping centers, a bat bridge, a ball park, and home to the worlds greatest dounuts. It is undistinguishable from the highway. There isn't a hotel or lodging, or major restaurant you can't see from I35. I live east of RR, but I never liked the look of it. It wasn't much in the 80's, and it isn't much now. Just a big FAT neighborhood with no character. Suburbian sprawling city at its worst. Like Kevin said, all about commerce, just keep adding stuff all over the place, talk, talk, talk about enhancing the puny DT, then devert attention away from it again by tauting themselves as the "Sports Capitol of the World". The best thing I ever heard about RR was a commercial pilot for SW Airlines once told me that he likes the way it looks at night from the air.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2009, 11:37 PM
Meh

The Seton Medical Center Hays in Kyle is finally opening. This one has really changed the landscape in Kyle and is visible for several miles, especially at night.

Quote:
Seton Medical Center Hays: Get a peek at area’s newest hospital Sunday

By Mary Ann Roser | Thursday, September 17, 2009, 03:06 PM

The newest facility in Central Texas’ hospital building binge is slated to open Oct. 1 in Kyle: Seton Medical Center Hays. You can get peek Sunday.

A celebration of music, food and fireworks is expected to draw 3,000 to 5,000 residents Sunday evening, said Pam Crowther, spokeswoman for the hospital’s owner, the Seton Family of Hospitals.

The Kyle hospital will be only the second hospital in Hays County, joining the 113-bed Central Texas Medical Center in San Marcos, which started as a military hospital in 1923. The new $143.7 million, 331,761-square-foot hospital just east of I-35 at 6001 Kyle Parkway on a 205-acre site will open with 112 beds and 341 staff members. By 2020, the hospital hopes to grow to 200 beds and more than 800 workers, Crowther said.
Read more

Hospital website:
http://www.seton.net/locations/seton...l_center_hays/

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 8:31 PM
Meh

Cherryville project to consume 3,400 acres off SH 130

Quote:
Friday, October 9, 2009
Cherryville project to consume 3,400 acres off SH 130
Austin Business Journal - by Kate Harrington ABJ Staff

A massive master-planned community taking shape near Lockhart is poised to become one of the Austin area’s largest developments.

Cherryville will span about 3,400 acres at the nexus of state highways 80 and 130. Ron Cherry, one of the partners and developers in the project, said the development will be built in phases and is planned to include:

* About 4,000 single-family homes, 3,900 multifamily units and 280 garden homes;
* 1,270 senior living units;
* Two hotels and a 70,000-square-foot conference center;
* About 1 million square feet of retail;
* About 2 million square feet of office;
* Medical office space;
* About 1.8 million square feet of industrial space;
* A satellite campus for a university;
* A hospital;
* Elementary, middle and high schools;
* About 650 acres of landscaped area, parks and trails.

Read more

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 9:24 PM

I would like to be the first person to step in here and distance this project from the city of Austin. In fact, can we just de-annex (?) the whole 130 corridor? I'm not liking what's going on over there at all. Let's just call it the "greater Manor area" or something

On the other hand, I'm inclined to believe a self-titled mega development during a housing bust by a guy named "Ron Cherry" will never materialize. Call it a gut feeling.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 11:46 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, I'm inclined to believe a self-titled mega development during a housing bust by a guy named "Ron Cherry" will never materialize. Call it a gut feeling.
I tend to agree. Nothing against "Cherryville," but I don't believe for a nanosecond that 2 million square feet of office space is going up on Lockhart-area ranch land any time soon.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2009, 4:52 AM
Meh

Quote:
CENTRAL TEXAS
Developers proposing small city near Lockhart

By Shonda Novak

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Dallas and Canadian developers are proposing a development that could include thousands of homes and apartments and several million square feet of office, retail and industrial space in the Lockhart area.

Caldwell County officials and the developers say the project would be a boon to the area's job and tax base.

The proposed site is 3,200 acres where Texas 80 will join with a coming stretch of the Texas 130 toll road, creating a key intersection, based on future traffic and population trends, said Ron Cherry, president and owner of Dalcan Investments Ltd.

Read more

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 6:34 PM

I think a downtown kinda like Waco could be ok in Round Rock a couple of midrise buildings or someting

Old Posted Oct 14, 2009, 9:30 PM

They were suppost to have a groundbreaking on the City Centre Project on
79 & IH 35 back in Jan. but with all the economic fallout It was most likely tough for them to get finance. I really hope this project isn't dead, and that it's just delayed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin