HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted May 4, 2021, 12:05 PM

First Wanderers game 2 years ago today May 4th, 2019. Damn I miss this.

Video Link

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 1:20 PM

MLS coming to play HFX in September!

Quote:
HFX Wanderers FC host Canadian Championship Quarterfinal

AUGUST 24, 2021
HFX Wanderers FC (CPL) host the Canadian Championship quarterfinals against CF Montréal (MLS) at the historic Halifax Wanderers Grounds Sep 22, 2021 7:30pm ADT.

Following the announcement from Canada Soccer on Monday, as well as the latest update from the Nova Scotian government on when the province will enter Phase 5, this confirms that this quarterfinal match marks the first game the Wanderers Grounds will be at full capacity since October 2019.

“We are thrilled to welcome CF Montréal to the Wanderers Grounds on September 22nd for a memorable night” said Derek Martin, President and Founder of the Wanderers. “This will be the first game in Phase 5 of the Nova Scotia Reopening plan and we expect a full house of 6,500 fans.”

HFX Wanderers FC advanced in the Canadian Championships after a thrilling 2-1 victory over A.S. Blainville (PLSQ) in front of a sell out crowd at the Wanderers Grounds August 17th. This win advanced the Wanderers to the quarterfinal match against CF Montréal (MLS) in the quest for the Championship and a berth in the 2022 CONCACAF Champions League.

The method to decide who was to host this knockout match was decided by a flip of a coin – yes, literally a flip of a coin that gave each club a 50/50 chance to host the 2nd round of the Canadian Championship. Martin was quick to tease fans with this information after releasing a tweet last Friday which included a GIF of a man flipping a coin in the air.

Prior to the behind-closed-doors flipping of the coin that included a blue side and a yellow side, CF Montréal President Kevin Gilmore had the choice of which colour he wanted, as CF Montréal are the higher seeded team. With both clubs having a blue included in their brand, it was inevitable that Gilmore would choose the blue side, which if the choice were Derek Martin’s, he would have made the same call.

With the anticipation of what could be Halifax’ biggest day in sports history, the coin landed with the yellow side facing up, making it official that the match would be played at the Wanderers Grounds.
https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/arti...p-quarterfinal

Old Posted Sep 21, 2021, 7:25 PM

Big game tomorrow against the MLS's Montreal FC.

Tickets still left for the first full capacity home game up to 7,000.

Must show proof of vaccine (negative test not accepted).

https://www.ticketmaster.ca/hfx-wand...005B28C561223F

Last edited by q12; Sep 22, 2021 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 11:23 AM

Wanderers are now in the early planning stages to work with the city and province for a permanent stadium on the Wanderers grounds in the 10,000-12,000 range.

Watch the end of Paul Hollingsworth report:

Quote:
Overflow crowd for Halifax Wanderers game generates buzz for more big events

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/overflow...ents-1.5598099
Attendance was a record 6,413 for the game against Montreal FC.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Wanderers are now in the early planning stages to work with the city and province for a permanent stadium on the Wanderers grounds in the 10,000-12,000 range.

Watch the end of Paul Hollingsworth report:

Attendance was a record 6,413 for the game against Montreal FC.
I think a 10-12k stadium would be perfect for this site.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 12:00 AM

Would make a great Concert Venue as well.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 12:34 AM

Absolutely, fully supporting a venue at this site. The only thing holding me back from enjoying the Wanderers more was the thrown together venue.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2021, 5:02 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc View Post
Absolutely, fully supporting a venue at this site. The only thing holding me back from enjoying the Wanderers more was the thrown together venue.
It's interesting in that the CFL stadium has been proposed for decades but the incremental approach of the Wanderers may eventually catch up to those plans, but with a stadium in a much better location. For all the complaining about the new hospital garage, which I agree is ugly, it makes the stadium site even better.

It's not inconceivable to put a 20,000-30,000 person stadium on this site with some adjustment to fairly minor neighbours (museum parking, Public Gardens greenhouses, Bengal Lancers, maybe realign Bell Rd). Improved Wanderers Grounds makes the Garrison Grounds somewhat obsolete. IMO there are tons of possibilities to reconfigure the whole area of the Commons/Citadel to get a lot more out of it. Part of that might mean having (brace yourself) 3 ball diamonds instead of 8.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It's interesting in that the CFL stadium has been proposed for decades but the incremental approach of the Wanderers may eventually catch up to those plans, but with a stadium in a much better location. For all the complaining about the new hospital garage, which I agree is ugly, it makes the stadium site even better.

It's not inconceivable to put a 20,000-30,000 person stadium on this site with some adjustment to fairly minor neighbours (museum parking, Public Gardens greenhouses, Bengal Lancers, maybe realign Bell Rd). Improved Wanderers Grounds makes the Garrison Grounds somewhat obsolete. IMO there are tons of possibilities to reconfigure the whole area of the Commons/Citadel to get a lot more out of it. Part of that might mean having (brace yourself) 3 ball diamonds instead of 8.
The Garrison Grounds would actually have been a better location for the stadium infrastructure since it is a larger space (I think) and is a natural amphitheater. Not too late to change that.

It really seems more and more like it is time to vacate the museum of natural history to a new building on a different site and cede that lot to the insatiable needs of health care. As it currently sits it will soon be an island surrounded by very traffic/people-intensive health care facilities.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2021, 1:58 PM

The issue with moving to the garrison grounds is that the Wanderers grounds has a stadium history that goes back to 1882.

The team is named after the grounds.

Recent Satellite photo from June:

How are larger stadium might fit:

Last edited by q12; Sep 26, 2021 at 2:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
It really seems more and more like it is time to vacate the museum of natural history to a new building on a different site and cede that lot to the insatiable needs of health care. As it currently sits it will soon be an island surrounded by very traffic/people-intensive health care facilities.
I've always thought that if I someone make my millions I'll use my largess to build a new Museum of Natural History.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2021, 1:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
The main difference for why the CPL is more economically feasible than the CFL for mid-Canadian markets like Halifax. The economics of the CFL require at minimum a 20K stadium as an initial build or venue and that simply isn't feasible in a lot of markets that have never required that sort of crowd before. The CPL can enter a market at 4-6K and then slowly build over time, which is really how incremental growth and entry-into-market for sports teams should work, anyway.

Basically the CFL requires venues that aren't economically feasible for them to build from the outset, hence the Wanderers existing as they do today and the CFL not.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 12:12 PM

Wanderers off to a great start this season beating York United last night in Toronto 1-0.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 1:46 PM

Last Saturday at their kick off event at Rogers Square they said they are working with the city to build permanent stadium at the Wanderers Grounds and would hopefully have an announcement within the next 6 mouths!

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Last Saturday at their kick off event at Rogers Square they said they are working with the city to build permanent stadium at the Wanderers Grounds and would hopefully have an announcement within the next 6 mouths!
Hmm, could this also involve the group behind the CFL team? Now I will run for cover after tossing in that stink bomb.

But I am somewhat serious, Touchdown Atlantic is back, the CFL Commish is making Halifax noises again. Or maybe I'm dreaming in technocolour.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
Hmm, could this also involve the group behind the CFL team? Now I will run for cover after tossing in that stink bomb.

But I am somewhat serious, Touchdown Atlantic is back, the CFL Commish is making Halifax noises again. Or maybe I'm dreaming in technocolour.
I don't think it would be. They can only build small stadium at the Wanderers grounds 8-10,000 seat range maybe 12 at max.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I don't think it would be. They can only build small stadium at the Wanderers grounds 8-10,000 seat range maybe 12 at max.
That's what I thought. It's sure tough getting decent outdoor stadiums built in this country.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2022, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
That's what I thought. It's sure tough getting decent outdoor stadiums built in this country.
Yeah does seem to be these days. It would be nice to get a large stadium built. I like the Wanderers approach, where they have proven their selves to be a success. The thing with the CFL is that you have to build a large stadium in hope it will be a success. Hopefully by having regular season games here they can prove their selves that way!

Old Posted May 24, 2022, 1:06 PM

Biggest game ever today at the Wanderers Grounds with Halifax taking on MLS's Toronto FC. Game sold-out quickly nearly 7,000 expected.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2023, 1:17 PM

The REAL friends of Commons have clinched a playoff spot, well done Wanderers!

Last edited by q12; Oct 1, 2023 at 1:42 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment