HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 1, 2007, 4:12 AM
It's Hammer Time

Van Wagner Pedestrian Bridge

Councillors call for a bridge to the beachB
y Eric McGuinness

The plan is to create a dramatic statement to distract Toronto-bound drivers from bayfront smokestacks and slag piles.

It would safely connect local residents to the lakefront and link with the Beach Recreational Trail and the Bruce Trail through the Red Hill Valley.

To do it, the majority of council's public works committee recommends spending $7.5 million for a curving, "signature gateway" project rather than a simple steel span costing half as much.

Committee members voted 6-2 yesterday to spend $500,000 for a detailed design of the fancier bridge, hoping some of the money will come from upper levels of government, the city's Future Fund, the Lake Ontario Waterfront Regeneration Trust or other sources.

Chris Murray, overseeing construction of the Red Hill Valley Parkway, said a decision is needed now so the Ontario Ministry of Transportation can build the centre support pier on the QEW median this year as part of the parkway interchange project.

Downtown Councillor Bob Bratina said it won't be a gateway to east Hamilton, "because the gateway is where the Stoney Creek sign is" (farther east on the QEW).

Bratina wants the public to decide whether they want an expensive bridge, his fountain proposal in the harbour or some other landmark project.

"Before you commit the dollars, you've got to get the public involved. A lot of east-enders would say spend the money on something else."

Ward 5 Councillor Chad Collins argues the creative design would help counter images of Hamilton's industrial skyline and "everything that's on Eastport Drive."

Old Posted Nov 3, 2007, 12:59 PM
Closed account

Is this being built now along with the final ramp of Red Hill?
I was also told it will be lit up at night.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 5:40 AM
It's Hammer Time

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 5:41 AM
It's Hammer Time

I suppose it's not a proposal.......

Plans for QEW "Gateway" Pedestrian Bridge presented to Public Works Committee

HAMILTON , ON. – April 2, 2007 – As part of Council’s strategic priority, Public Works staff today introduced the design and costs for an enhanced pedestrian bridge crossing the Queen Elizabeth Way in East Hamilton. This bridge, when completed, will link hundreds of kilometres of trail in Southern Ontario, and become a major gateway feature for East Hamilton.

“This bridge will be designed as a unique architectural identifier for East Hamilton, such as the TB McQueston Bridge on York Boulevard, and a key link to connecting the east-west/north-south trails in the area,” said Rob Norman, Manager of Open Space Development and Park Planning.

The pedestrian bridge is proposed to span 300 metres at the top of the former Brampton Street landfill over the QEW ultimately linking to the Hamilton Waterfront Trail. The Ministry of Transportation would undertake construction of the centre pier of the bridge as part of its current contract. The cost of the bridge is forecasted at $6.8 million, however this is intended to be offset with funding partners such as the Ministry of Transportation, the Federal Government and community organizations.

“This bridge will open up more recreational areas to the residents of this community. Not only will it link area trail systems, including the new Red Hill Valley trail, but it also contributes to the Rennie End-Use plan that will introduce more recreational features to the Rennie/Brampton community,” said Chris Murray, Acting Red Hill Valley Project Director.

Completion of the bridge is anticipated for Spring 2009.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 2:58 PM
Closed account

yea, I knew it was a done deal, just not sure when.
wonder why the province wouldn't allow them to put the arch right over the QEW?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2007, 4:18 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

Great project. The Arc of the bridge actually looks better over the Red Hill Creek instead of over the highway.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 3:07 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
yea, I knew it was a done deal, just not sure when.
wonder why the province wouldn't allow them to put the arch right over the QEW?
The province wont even allow the City to use it's H logo on the "welcome to Hamilton" sign (remember we had to vote in The Spec?).
I don't understand... but I think I like it better over the creek, too.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2007, 1:51 PM
Closed account

weird...yea, I like this project. They could have easily slapped up a concrete slab bridge at a cheaper cost but chose to take it up a notch considering the prominent location. Good job by council.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:24 AM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton Enters Provincial Funding Lottery
Feb, 11 2008 - 5:40 PM

Hamilton is hoping the provincial government will pick up the tab, for a cycling and pedestrian bridge over the QEW.

The city is submitting its request for funding of the 14 million dollar East Hamilton Recreational Trail and Waterfront Link project, as part of "ReNew Ontario".

That's a program recently announced by the province, which invites communities to bid for a total of 300 million dollars in municipal infrastructure investment

Submissions are due by Friday.

If the Hamilton project is selected, it would include the construction of a pedestrian gateway over the QEW and the conversion of the former Rennie Street landfill into an active recreational area.

The Waterfront trail would also be extended through the rehabiliated Rennie and Brampton Street landfill sites.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:24 PM
It's Hammer Time

City eyes funding for pedestrian bridge

February 12, 2008
The Hamilton Spectator

The city is asking the province to pay for a pedestrian bridge over the QEW as part of a new infrastructure program.

The government invited all municipalities to apply for special infrastructure funding for one project. City staff compiled a short list of possible projects. The three finalists were restoring Auchmar Estates for $14 million, upgrading part of the Woodward Water Treatment Plant for $30 million or upgrading the East Hamilton recreation trail for $14 million.

The final option scored the highest and staff believes it's most likely to be accepted.

Councillors agreed yesterday.

"It has a lot of sex appeal," said Councillor Chad Collins.

The project includes a pedestrian bridge-gateway feature, new trails and renovation of the former Rennie Street landfill into a recreation area.

The city will know by the end of March if its project is approved.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:15 PM

THis is pretty cool looking. I still want my gondola though!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:23 PM

I hope the span crossing the QEW is designed with a cover/high walls. I dread that the bridge has the potential to become a suicide magnet, much like the Bloor Street viaduct in Toronto. I know it's a bit morbid, but better that suicide deterrents are incorporated into its initial design, and not implemented years down the road at a much higher cost (financial and social).

Last edited by markbarbera; Feb 13, 2008 at 9:24 PM. Reason: typo - I need to take a keyboarding course!!!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:26 PM
It's Hammer Time

The pedestrian bridge over the Linc isn't covered and there's been no suicide.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 9:51 PM

yeah, make it look ghetto like detroit...great image booster there. and will aid the image of hamilton in a negative manner.

I hate that new overpass in brantford right by Wayne Gretzky parkway on the 403, brand new, and looks like it's from a ghetto.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
I hope the span crossing the QEW is designed with a cover/high walls. I dread that the bridge has the potential to become a suicide magnet, much like the Bloor Street viaduct in Toronto. I know it's a bit morbid, but better that suicide deterrents are incorporated into its initial design, and not implemented years down the road at a much higher cost (financial and social).

not to be morbid either, but if anyone is really at the end of their rope I think they'll continue to use Skyway Bridge nearby. How often do you hear of someone jumping off of a street that crosses a highway?? I've never heard of that.
Sadly, I have a few friends who are cops and they have story after story of suicide on the Skyway Bridge .

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:17 PM

I love how in toronto you can't jump off bloor, but a few transit stops north you can get equally dead off of any number of bridges. Those anti suicide measures are lame. If someone's gonna do it, they are gonna do it whether or not there's a fence.

What I'd be more worried about is hooligans throwing rocks...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:54 PM
Pro Urban Degenerate

^ Better they don't do it on top of the highway and endanger other's lives in the act of taking their own. The Bloor Street viaduct project is not lame. If you or someone you loved were injured by something that could have been so easily prevented I am sure you would understand.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:20 AM
Closed account

this is really a non-issue guys. Having lived in the States I can tell you that they have every single bridge covered with fencing to prevent crime - tossing rocks etc....
There's absolutely no need for it here.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
How often do you hear of someone jumping off of a street that crosses a highway?? I've never heard of that.
Bloor Street Viaduct?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:02 AM

Cootes Drive overpass last year

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure