HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Royal Connaught Phase III in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Hamilton Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 5:50 PM
Closed account

^^ I think the main point here, Fastcars, is that the Connaught needs to be a mix of all aspects: Tourism, Residential, Business & Entertainment!
This will create a much more viable development (IMO anyway) and will ensure a contunious flow of income.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 7:10 PM
On Guard For Thee

Goldfinger--my feelings on Yale have been well-posted here--I agree with you 100%, they are lousy managers on both the retail and commercial side--and continue to have a very "take-it or leave-it" attitude.

DC83--did you mean Jackson Square? If so, I agree with you completely--replacing some of the lost commercial foot traffic at Jackson Square with actual residential tenants is the best hope for a complete revival. Imagine how appealing it would be to market condos attached to a revitalized centre with shopping options such as a supermarket, the farmers market and other retail.

The Connaught is another story. It would be really unfortunate for that building to not come back as a hotel--just when the city is starting to turn-the-corner on hotel room inventory permanently losing those 250 or so rooms would be a real setback. If condo towers are what's needed to make the whole project work--bring it on--we need in-fill in those Connaught parking lots anyway. I had my high school prom there -- the place means a lot to me--anxious to see it open again.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2007, 7:22 PM
Closed account

^^ I was referring to the Connaught... I was trying to bring the thread back to it's topic.

Hell ya, build condo towers on those lots behond it! But I liked the original plan of the top couple of stories being High-End Residential, and the lower floors as hotel space, tourism-related retail back on the street-level with a great restaurant in the old Fran's spot!

They should re-build another rec centre for the hotel & (potential) condos to share. I believe this is done for the Ramada on Jarvis S/ Gerrard in TO and seems to work fine (I've stayed there twice and never had any probs with owners... although they probably use that rec centre as much as the owners in my bldg use ours... which is NEVER haha).

This whole block has the potential to be a huge complex consisting of all elements I posted above, and would certainly bring tons of life not only back to the core but the entire dowtown. I believe this is what Stinson sees in this project as well.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:12 AM
Closed account

I agree, the connaught should have retail/residential/condo/hotel etc.... there's a TON of room on that site.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:19 PM
Bruatalism gets no respec

They need to go big and get the economy of scale required to make the project work. Getting income from retail, hotel, condo, restaurant and office allows them to spread out the risk and diversify the income stream.

I hope the planned twin-tower condo becomes one tall condo. Imagine if CIBC was one tower instead of the two.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:23 PM
Closed account

hmmm, not a bad idea. I'm sure Stinson will push them to do one large tower instead of 2, 18 storey buildings.
Although, wouldn't that be a large footprint for a downtown condo tower?? maybe they'd do one huge one and one smaller one right next to it. I'm no expert on height-floorplate ratio though...anyone here know about that kind of stuff?? I know they always say 1 King West was quite a challenge due to it's small floorplate and tall height. What would be a normal floorplate for a 30+ storey tower??

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:49 PM
Closed account

What's done often in Toronto is a tall tower anchored by a wider, residential pedestal. The "pedestal" is usually marketed as "lofts" as they have higher ceilings than the actual condo units themslves. So a pedestal/tower combo would work well to fill in the entire back lot.
This pedestal would also give tons of room for a rec centre to connect the Connaught w/ the Condo Tower.

Something like THIS would fit in nicely

http://www.condoleaf.com/users/up/Element.jpg

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 3:58 PM

that would be perfect for behind Connaught. and sharing the amenities with the hotel is a great idea.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2007, 4:28 PM
Closed account

I'd like to see a pedestal that wraps around the building with a curved tower on top....the two 'edges' of the curve would face King and London Taps Building.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 3:49 PM

When this (eventually) does get refinished, what hotel chain do you think would come into this project?

I can't see it becoming Howard Johnson again but something more lucrative such as the Fairmont would be more suitable for such a high class hotel and Faimonts are usually located right in the cores if cities

I remember when i was in Vancouver a year or two ago and stayed in the Farimont Hotel Vancouver and it really reminded me of the Connaught.

I think it would fit perfectly with this project and be a great addition to downtown.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 4:05 PM
Closed account

if you're looking for inspiration from vancouver, the sylvia hotel is an even better example:

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 5:53 PM

To bring some class downtown I'd like...
Fairmont
Four Seasons
InterContinnental

or more modest 4-star
Delta
Crown Plaza
Hyatt

They all do nice jobs with their buildings and lobbies

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 5:57 PM
It's Hammer Time

The Connaught group did try to get the Fairmont but they toured the place and ran away after seeing a strip joint across the street, that's according to the Spec.

Currently it's suppose to be s Renaissance hotel chain, Renaissance Royal Connaught Hotel.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 6:35 PM

The Renaissance that it was supposed to be is a type of Mariott hotel.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2007, 7:38 PM
It's Hammer Time

Yes, the Mariott hotel chain has been agressive with Hamilton lately.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 4:03 PM

Rennaisance by Marriot sounds pretty good but i would still prefer if we had more of a variety of hotels in Hamilton.

I still think that the Farimont would be more suited in this building but i would also like to see a Delta located downtown. I just can't see them using an older building as they usually like new projects so they can design it how they want exactly

Example: This one has a waterslide in it.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 4:13 PM
Closed account

^^ Maybe if the skinnier tower were glass, then yes. Coloured glass... this city needs variety in High Rise colours. Everything looks so 70's!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC83 View Post
^^ Maybe if the skinnier tower were glass, then yes. Coloured glass... this city needs variety in High Rise colours. Everything looks so 70's!
Yeah but i was reffering to the interior of the hotels as they are beautiful and they are classy.

I don't remember the outside being this old looking when i stayed there a few years ago but i clearly remember the beauty inside......aswell as the price

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 4:50 PM
Closed account

was downtown this morning and like the look of the 5-storey apartment coming along across from Connaught...hoping that Williams does in fact locate next to courthouse - a few steps from Connaught.
man, that huge lot next to Connaught would be perfect for a new tallest. A coloured glass building of some sort - condos obviously.
And being right across the street from our current tallest would be nice to show the different era's in all their majesty!

Old Posted Dec 29, 2007, 5:48 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris k View Post
Yeah but i was reffering to the interior of the hotels as they are beautiful and they are classy.

I don't remember the outside being this old looking when i stayed there a few years ago but i clearly remember the beauty inside......aswell as the price
ya, I agree! The inside sells a hotel just as much, if not more, then the outside look.

The Connaught did (still does) have an impressive interior

.:Axle:. from Flickr.com
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2218/...e4c8d0.jpg?v=0

.:Axle:. from Flickr.com
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2345/...ab230e.jpg?v=0

http://www.hamiltonpostcards.com/ima...tel5Layer1.jpg

And I believe it will be just as impressive when it reopens!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton