HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohamilton View Post
Soil remediation would be required.
The results of the testing might determine the development. Only residential would require full remediation right? I don't think the same requirements apply to hotel and commercial developments correct?

Old Posted Mar 19, 2020, 8:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
The results of the testing might determine the development. Only residential would require full remediation right? I don't think the same requirements apply to hotel and commercial developments correct?
There are stricter requirements for if its a residential use but not insurmountable requirements. Lots of developments in Toronto on top of contaminated soil "cap" the soil with a waterproof membrane, construct only a single level (if any level) of underground parking, and put above grade parking in.

You can see this with "Time + Space" condos at Sherbourne and Front. An extremely polluted site where all the soil reeks of oil, so they capped it with solid concrete across the entire site after digging down 1 level and are going up from there.

Soil testing is required for any development project, in order to assess contamination. It likely means a development application is incoming here.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 7:11 AM
Concerned Citizen

If it is just gasoline contamination they just remove the soil and replace it with new. An old lady friend had a job remediating old gas stations. She once told me that all they need to do is spread the gas contaminated soil out in a field and let the gas evaporate.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2020, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguy1231 View Post
If it is just gasoline contamination they just remove the soil and replace it with new. An old lady friend had a job remediating old gas stations. She once told me that all they need to do is spread the gas contaminated soil out in a field and let the gas evaporate.
Not anymore!

In North America and most countries in Europe, it is now illegal to co-dispose hazardous and non-hazardous wastes in landfills. There are only designated or licensed landfill sites that accept contaminated soils. Furthermore, disposal in landfill sites without pre-treatment is now outlawed in several jurisdictions.

Petroleum contamination tends to remain localized at the tank source and does not naturally degrade even over 20 to 30 years.

In the past and at present, there are three methods for treating hydrocarbon contaminated soils, namely, incineration, bioremediation and soil washing.

Where the contaminated soil has an adverse effect on the environment, the Ontario Environmental Protection Act mandates that the affected soil must be removed or remediated.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:01 PM

Updated rendering from Michael Spaziani Architects:

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 12:54 PM

Wow huge improvement!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:53 PM
It's Hammer Time

Looks to be taller too, my count is 23 storey.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 3:55 PM

This building should stand out as it's at the top of the hill.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 5:52 PM

Note that Michael Spaziani Architects specializes in LPAT hearings, and is not really a firm that actually builds things.

Clients typically hire him to affordably and professionally represent them in LPAT hearings, usually with the idea to either change architects prior to building or to flip the site.

I suspect this tower will almost certainly change again before getting built. Spaziani is likely being used to finalize an approval at the LPAT before the site is flipped.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2020, 10:05 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Huge improvement!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 1:29 PM

That looks alright man!

Old Posted Apr 17, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Note that Michael Spaziani Architects specializes in LPAT hearings, and is not really a firm that actually builds things.

Clients typically hire him to affordably and professionally represent them in LPAT hearings, usually with the idea to either change architects prior to building or to flip the site.

I suspect this tower will almost certainly change again before getting built. Spaziani is likely being used to finalize an approval at the LPAT before the site is flipped.
That's frustrating. What's the site currently zoned for? Looks like this proposal is certainly not within the current zoning, which probably allows a max height of somewhere in the 6-12 storey range?
This would also be Ward 1, so only going to LPAT if council doesn't agree to a zoning change. Any read on how clr wilson feels about a proposal like this?

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 1:05 AM
Hamilton Historian

Lol i love how images for these project just keep evolving, and getting higher and higher lol.

It's nice to watch the evolution, but I'm not holding my breath. It'll look like notre dame by the time they actually start building it!

But yes cooler rendering -You know there's gonna be issues with that house next door though.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 7:05 PM

Here's the Design Review Committee meeting for this project:
Video Link

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 4:53 PM
Forever forward.

Recommended for approval. Headed to Planning Committee on October 6th.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 11:04 PM
It's Hammer Time

Hamilton councillors back 23-storey building at Main and Queen

https://www.thespec.com/news/council...and-queen.html

The stage is set for a 23-storey residential building to rise from a long-empty lot on the edge of downtown.

City councillors backed a developer’s proposal for the tower at the southwest corner of Main Street West and Queen Street South on Tuesday.

Belmont Equity’s plan also includes six units of two- and three-storey townhouses on Jackson Street and the preservation of a heritage home.

The proposal is “grossly and greatly improved” compared to a previous pitch by different owners for a 20-storey tower, Coun. Maureen Wilson said.

“Does the application contribute positively to the streetscape? Absolutely,” the Ward 1 councillor said, calling the stretch of Main “scarred and hostile to pedestrians.”

Belmont Equity bought parcels on Jackson Street West — south of Main Street West — and have an agreement to purchase 74 Queen South to complement the tall building.

The facade of 74 Queen, which sits on the corner of Jackson and has two units, is to be preserved. Its roof will be rebuilt to maintain its character.

All told, the plan calls for 331 units with 125 parking spaces, of which 119 are to be in two levels of underground parking. It includes a brick podium to blend with neighbouring buildings.

“Being a gateway, I really think this is an exciting project for the city,” Coun. Jason Farr said.

The parcel was a gravel lot for years and even a location for food trucks at one point, the Ward 2 councillor noted.

Tuesday’s planning committee gave unanimous support for land-use changes to allow for the development. It awaits council’s final approval.

But the proposal, notably its height, is a source of concern for some nearby residents in the neighbourhood.

“Any drop in height would be a big, big, big blessing,” said Carmen Cumming, a longtime resident who lives about two blocks away from the site.

Cumming said she’s also worried the development will result in traffic and safety issues on Jackson Street West.

Moreover, she told the committee, the tall building sets a “precedent” for a residential area that includes low-slung, single-family homes.

Wilson said she, too, is “sensitive” to what precedent the development and others might present.

But her “responsibility” is to “assess each application individually, she added. “I believe it is a good application.”

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 6:23 PM

Some more renders from the DRP presentation:

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 6:39 PM
Hamilton Historian

Ehh not too bad - it's ok - I do like that townhousey part and the fact they seem to have matched the grade colours to the house on the corner.. also looks like they may have added stone to frame the entrances on the other side! Always better than just pure brick.. the skyscraper part is.. acceptable.. its got some nice presence..

Also the mullion effect on the corner glass part actually works well in this instance, because it is isolated as a showcase look, instead of being the entire building. Whoever designed this designed it smart looking.

They have combined the exterior finishes in a way that looks like it makes sense, and not like they just had to add a bunch of veneers to make it look interesting - I find that's important - it harmonizes well. I really like the recessed parts on the third floor, and how the light illuminates that inner part..

Odd shaped windows, check, picture frame accents, check, colour range between white and black, check

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 6:50 PM

So maybe I'm missing it, but it seems there is no commercial component here at all, no small coffee shop or anything. Kind of strange since the city typically tries to force these types of developments to have commercial.

I'm curious if the footprint of the building being small, plus the hostile roads of Queen and Main led to this not having a commercial component.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 8:35 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
So maybe I'm missing it, but it seems there is no commercial component here at all, no small coffee shop or anything. Kind of strange since the city typically tries to force these types of developments to have commercial.

I'm curious if the footprint of the building being small, plus the hostile roads of Queen and Main led to this not having a commercial component.
I could see that being a part of it - this isn't really an area people go to shop - and it's dangerously close to that traffic - with no real setback. Aka it's not a route people would normally walk along city wise.

Although it does look like they've set it back father than the original render design.. but yeah.. lots of traffic.

also that house on the corner is BEAUTIFUL - look at what they have done with the property out front!

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.25707...7i13312!8i6656

also looks like they may have to demolish some historic buildings along this road to get those townhouses in.. a least the one with the blue shutters, and that absolutely ADORABLE garage building.. sheesh it seems such a shame to encroach on this guys obv. beautiful lot..

They better not cut down any of those trees, and what about his gazebo backyard? Doesn't look like he'll have ANY backyard left after those townhouses are built.. although it's really hard to tell from the angle the renders are at..

Last edited by Chronamut; Oct 7, 2020 at 8:49 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton