HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 5:42 AM

Starting November 1, there's a fifth CarShare car - a Toyota Matrix at Hamilton City Hall.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 7:50 AM

I hope Hamilton is in line for a pickup truck or van like Waterloo has, since we have been expanding so well the last couple of years. Although the Mazda 5 station wagon comes pretty damn close. I moved a pullout couch and a full size dryer into my house with that recently.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2012, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Dalton View Post
I hope Hamilton is in line for a pickup truck or van like Waterloo has, since we have been expanding so well the last couple of years. Although the Mazda 5 station wagon comes pretty damn close. I moved a pullout couch and a full size dryer into my house with that recently.
It's in the pipeline. The general idea is that there should be enough regular vehicles before a specialized vehicle like a cargo van or pick-up truck would get enough use. It will probably make sense with the next several additions.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 7:35 PM

If there was a cargo vehicle with a hitch I could ditch my car!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2012, 7:41 PM

Quote:
ever tried the uhaul place at the plaza on Queen st? They do a dirt cheap in town rental. I'd bet for the amount of times most people haul stuff that would be way cheaper than a share program.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2012, 2:26 PM

uhaul adds up way too fast for kms at 50 cents per.

For instance to pick up a truck and drive home, then to the dump, then return the truck it's 25km (my house is downtown) or $12 on top of the 19.95 (plus $15 insurance). If you want to do a dump run and also go to home depot your kms would be twice that.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2012, 2:41 AM

Good news, car share is looking to add a cargo type vehicle to Hamilton and is surveying the membership to determine what type would be most useful. They are looking at a pickup or a cargo van like the ford transit that Waterloo has. One question is about towing and putting a hitch and wiring on this vehicle would be a no brainer. I also heard from someone in carshare that the next location they are looking at is at christs church cathedral on james north. Carshare has really picked up in Hamilton in the last year.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2012, 5:27 PM

A sprinter with a hitch would be amazing.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2013, 6:40 PM

From a memo today to the tenants of MIP

Tenants of MIP,
The Community CarShare vehicle has officially moved into its new home here at McMaster Innovation Park. When you get the chance, take a look at the brand new Toyota Yaris with the Community CarShare logo in our parking lot.

In case you missed the first announcement, The CarShare program is a not-for-profit co-operative that allows members in the surrounding community to have access to a car on an occasional basis, without having to pay financing fees, interest, or gas. This system encourages people to walk, ride their bike or find other, greener alternative means of transportation, while allowing them the peace of mind knowing there is a car available for them to use if the need be.

By signing up for the corporate membership, your company will have access to not only the vehicle located here at MIP, but all other CarShare vehicles located in Southern Ontario (currently 6 others in Hamilton). By booking through the online directory, the vehicle is yours as a convenient and affordable means of transportation for your personnel.

This inexpensive service requires only a one time, fully refundable deposit of $700 and a membership fee of $20 per month which covers maintenance, insurance and other supplemental fees. The hourly rates for the service are as follows:

Per Hour – Weekdays (7am-11pm) $4 + 30¢/km
Per Hour – Weekends (5pm Friday – 11pm Sunday) $5 + 30¢/km
Per Hour – 11pm-7am $1 + 30¢/km
10 Hours – Weekday (up to 10 hours before 6pm) $20 + 30¢/km
24 Hours – Weekday (daily maximum) $30 + 30¢/km
24 Hours – Weekends (daily maximum) $40 + 30¢/km

Although the program doesn’t officially start until February 1st, we already have two tenants signed up for the program; get on board today!

Thank you!

Old Posted May 9, 2014, 3:57 PM

Community CarShare is now up to 12 cars in Hamilton - the newest locations are at Main/Ferguson and near James/Barton. There are more in the pipeline.

Student CarShare and Zipcar also have some vehicles near McMaster.

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 3:59 AM

THey added a minivan to Hamilton's fleet today!

Old Posted May 10, 2014, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
THey added a minivan to Hamilton's fleet today!
At King and Bay, nice. I wonder if they'd consider putting a hitch on this one. Maybe they're worried people would mess it up?

Old Posted May 12, 2014, 3:47 AM

I think the lack of hitches is an insurance thing. It would be a game changer if they had hitches though!

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminecanary View Post
I think the lack of hitches is an insurance thing. It would be a game changer if they had hitches though!
Will this work? (I'm pretty sure it has a hitch, anyway.)

Old Posted Jun 14, 2014, 5:06 PM

^Toyota pickup truck now available at Seed Works on Catharine St. Great news. It's probably against the rules, but one could pop a bumper hitch and 4-way harness on there and be in business.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 4:54 AM

Quote:
^Toyota pickup truck now available at Seed Works on Catharine St. Great news. It's probably against the rules, but one could pop a bumper hitch and 4-way harness on there and be in business.
I don't think there are rules against that, other than the normal ones of keeping the vehicle clean and not damaging it.

In other news there's a CarShare plug-in hybrid now stationed at Green Venture, off Greenhill Ave past the Red Hill Valley Expressway.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2014, 5:51 PM

Actually the pickup truck has a full frame-mount hitch and a harness installed so it's probably good for 3500 pounds. I've seen it out with a trailer attached. I couldn't find the ball mount around the truck so I guess you have to supply your own.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2014, 5:15 AM

I haven't investigated how the pricing compares with CarShare Hamilton but there are two Student Car Share cars located at Saigon Asian Restaurant & Maple Leaf Pancake House near McMaster and one at Mohawk College
http://www.studentcarshare.ca/locati...er-university/

ZipCar also has two cars near McMaster at Saigon Asian Restaurant and the Fred Astaire Dance Studio at 1092 Main St W.
www.zipcar.com

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 12:28 PM

Question: does anyone know if these pickups and vans are considered “premium cars” by CarShare? They identify a $2 per hour additional per hour rate for “designated premium vehicles” in their fee schedule, but I can’t see where it says which cars are designated premium.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillStreetBlues View Post
Question: does anyone know if these pickups and vans are considered “premium cars” by CarShare? They identify a $2 per hour additional per hour rate for “designated premium vehicles” in their fee schedule, but I can’t see where it says which cars are designated premium.
Currently the minivans and pick-up truck in Hamilton are all regular rate, the only premium rate vehicle is the cargo van in Kitchener.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure