HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 3:45 AM

They're going to spend $3 billion and 10 years to increase beds from 475 to 675? I'm not sure I understand.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:07 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
They're going to spend $3 billion and 10 years to increase beds from 475 to 675? I'm not sure I understand.
It's already one of the top medical centers in the world, and now it will finally have a state of the art facility to match it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:45 AM

There might also be seismic issues with the current buildings.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
Hospital design has evolved to the same degree as going from the Model T to the Tesla. Everything from the services (gasses like oxygen, suction and so forth), technology (internet and other access) and infection control (most hospitals being built today have all single rooms and many have the capability to have negative pressure plus handwashing access at the entry etc) to being observable directly from a central location (nurse’s station and/or doctor’s technology access location)—no more long hospital corredors—which makes staff much more efficient and potentially reduces numbers required. A 1960s era hospital technically having 475 beds might, in a COVID time have fewer than 300 effectively.

Then there’s the CA law that all hospitals in the state be earthquake survivable—by 2030 they must not only not collapse and kill people as now but be able to remain in operation after a major quake. I’m pretty sure the existing UCSF buildings could not meet that standard (some hospitals in the city including CA Pacific, UC in Mission Bay and SF General have already been replaced so that they do).

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Hospital design has evolved to the same degree as going from the Model T to the Tesla. Everything from the services (gasses like oxygen, suction and so forth), technology (internet and other access) and infection control (most hospitals being built today have all single rooms and many have the capability to have negative pressure plus handwashing access at the entry etc) to being observable directly from a central location (nurse’s station and/or doctor’s technology access location)—no more long hospital corredors—which makes staff much more efficient and potentially reduces numbers required. A 1960s era hospital technically having 475 beds might, in a COVID time have fewer than 300 effectively.

Then there’s the CA law that all hospitals in the state be earthquake survivable—by 2030 they must not only not collapse and kill people as now but be able to remain in operation after a major quake. I’m pretty sure the existing UCSF buildings could not meet that standard (some hospitals in the city including CA Pacific, UC in Mission Bay and SF General have already been replaced so that they do).
I worked at UCSF for many years. Moffitt-Long has long been seismically unsafe. That was why the new hospital was built in Mission Bay. Pedestrian is correct, the redundancy/resilience costs engineered into new hospitals make for substantial cost during build out. CPMC spent more than 2 billion for a 200 plus room hospital in SF. and SF General spent a billion for it's new wing designed to be able to operate after a quake.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 12:30 AM

1629 Market Street & 30 Otis Street

Foreground can be seen foundation work being done in what used to be a parking lot. In the background is 30 Otis Street rising. Glad to see so much happening back to back!

1629 Market St. & 30 Otis St.Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 9:16 PM
heavy user of walkability

lousy pic, but just a reminder that this little one just north of the Whole Foods on Fourth is underway

on Fifth near Folsom, I was unsure whether this was an active site last time I was by, but yesterday it was clear it is

Serif

(wrapping around the Warfield)

looking up Golden Gate from the Warfield, with the backs of 1066 and 1028 Market

similar to Jerry's pic, 1629 Market with 30 Otis behind

there is a proposal for this site on Market at Duboce, but no idea if the draping is any sign of impending activity

hard to get a good pic of 2238 Market at the time I went by

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbad View Post
on Fifth near Folsom, I was unsure whether this was an active site last time I was by, but yesterday it was clear it is

which will be this?

Last edited by pseudolus; Jul 13, 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 2:23 AM

Quote:
there is a proposal for this site on Market at Duboce, but no idea if the draping is any sign of impending activity

Unfortunately I think just a fresh coat of paint.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2020, 5:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
which will be this?

as far as I know, yes.

and thanks for the input on that one Market St site, AndrewK.

I forgot a couple pics...

at Ninth and Howard, it's rebar city

1140 Harrison sort of in context

seen from the Eighth St side

a few buildings up on Eighth is a little one called the Quinn

speaking of Eighth, this one is just east of the intersection with Bryant (in the distance in the first pic also another newish one that went up at the corner of Seventh not too long ago)

Last edited by timbad; Jul 13, 2020 at 5:16 AM.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2020, 8:19 PM

SF Skyline

Chase Center. Future hotel location:

Park next to Chase Center

Saw this across the unfinished park in Mission Bay/Chase Center. There's a Google logo here?

New apartment next to Spark Social SF and a dog park

Uber:

Hunters Point

Apartments in Hunters Point have nice view points

Napoleon & Toland

New Ferry Terminal Plaza

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Saw this across the unfinished park in Mission Bay/Chase Center. There's a Google logo here?
They construct and stage parade floats from that pier. Depending on the time of year, you can see Chinese New Year Parade floats or Gay Pride floats--those are probably Pride floats that were not used this year, as the parade was canceled.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2020, 10:04 PM

Walked up Van Ness today, they are almost done with laying the pavers in the sidewalk on the east side between Eddy and Bush as well as the block in front of city hall, which will allow them once done to move the traffic lanes to the curb all the way from Grove to Lombard. They were also doing sidewalk work on the west side between Jackson and Green.

In work actually related to BRT, they had started to place forms for the median/platform at Mcallister and Golden Gate.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2020, 9:25 AM

Concrete Pour for foundaation tonight 1288 Howard Street @ 9th Street

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 5:35 AM

Quote:
one thing I had not noticed in the schematics for the [Second St streetscape] project was that the cut-through right-hand turn lane from Second onto Harrison was being eliminated...
and, it is gone...

too bad they couldn't have added some greenery or something - that's a lot of cement. also set me wondering if now they might be able to develop that corner lot. imagine that is still a Caltrans parcel, from when the freeway curved through there?

work is ongoing on some of the final corner treatments on Folsom

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 6:45 PM
Build Baby Build

That new curb at SE Second/Harrison is so beautiful to me. That intersection was a nightmare when I was walking my very old dog..cars came zipping ridiculously fast and it took them way too long to realize they had to slow down and/or stop. It was a relic from when almost nobody would even have a reason to walk down that sidewalk. I feel like this sidewalk is inviting a modern building to be built at the intersection.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2020, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
...cars came zipping ridiculously fast and it took them way too long to realize they had to slow down and/or stop. It was a relic from when almost nobody would even have a reason to walk down that sidewalk. I feel like this sidewalk is inviting a modern building to be built at the intersection.
yes, also my experience on the one hand, and hope, on the other

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 9:42 PM

They are actually building forms for the new concrete islands etc of the Van Ness BRT . . . amazing. Right now, the work is between McAllister and Eddy.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 10:53 PM

Pedestrian - thanks for the update. I live 3 blocks away but don't get out much due to the epidemic. Glad to see some concrete work. I will now have an idea how the transit lanes will look like. I have my doubts that the changes are worth the cost.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Pedestrian - thanks for the update. I live 3 blocks away but don't get out much due to the epidemic. Glad to see some concrete work. I will now have an idea how the transit lanes will look like. I have my doubts that the changes are worth the cost.
Keep in mind that all of the work up to now has been replacing a 100+ year old sewer system as well as replacing the street lights and repaving the sidewalks, work which had to get done sooner or later regardless of the BRT project (just maybe not all in one go).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations