HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 12:44 AM

I also don't know where you're seeing rats everywhere but there aren't any in Tom's or Midway point, Ottoman, Fireside, Rogues Roost and I don't think you'd find any in the womens lingerie stores

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:06 AM

I have seen lots of rats in Rogues

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 1:12 AM

Last edited by xanaxanax; May 15, 2014 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:25 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
I see you edited your post. Did you miss a "."?

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 3:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I see you edited your post. Did you miss a "."?
no

Old Posted May 17, 2014, 3:49 AM

It is recommended by staff that Regional Council approve the bonus density request for this project. The public benefit is categorized under "exemplary sutainable building practices" and LEED Silver is mentioned in the report.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0520ca1118.pdf

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
It is recommended by staff that Regional Council approve the bonus density request for this project. The public benefit is categorized under "exemplary sutainable building practices" and LEED Silver is mentioned in the report.

http://www.halifax.ca/council/agenda...0520ca1118.pdf
I have some qualms about this. The idea about density bonusing is that the developer is suppose to provide some public good in exchange for the extra density. Exemplary sustainable building practices though... aren't these just smart practices that would probably be done anyway because they save the developer money in operating costs? If so, what's the public benefit here? Density bonusing is awarded by a monetary calculation of the value of the benefit versus the value of the extra space and since this project is short, it really doesn't take much to reach the top up, so it's not a big deal this time out. I think though that the Design and Review Committee was on the right track in trying to direct the public benefit towards improving existing public space in the area (Public Gardens). Apparently HRM doesn't have that authority though (pity the HRM Charter is so restrictive). Something like public art would have been better here to get the density bonus. Sustainable building practices just feels like a freebie.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
I have some qualms about this. The idea about density bonusing is that the developer is suppose to provide some public good in exchange for the extra density. Exemplary sustainable building practices though... aren't these just smart practices that would probably be done anyway because they save the developer money in operating costs? If so, what's the public benefit here? Density bonusing is awarded by a monetary calculation of the value of the benefit versus the value of the extra space and since this project is short, it really doesn't take much to reach the top up, so it's not a big deal this time out. I think though that the Design and Review Committee was on the right track in trying to direct the public benefit towards improving existing public space in the area (Public Gardens). Apparently HRM doesn't have that authority though (pity the HRM Charter is so restrictive). Something like public art would have been better here to get the density bonus. Sustainable building practices just feels like a freebie.
For god sake its only for an extra floor

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanaxanax View Post
For god sake its only for an extra floor
You've missed the point entirely. My post wasn't about an extra floor, my post was about whether "exemplary building practices" is really a good use of density bonusing.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 3:32 AM
armchairitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaustin View Post
You've missed the point entirely. My post wasn't about an extra floor, my post was about whether "exemplary building practices" is really a good use of density bonusing.
ugh.. sadly "(i) the provision of exemplary sustainable building practices." is explicitly mentioned in the land use bylaw. all the other allowable categories are worthwhile, but this is crap.

i have no issues with the building height, but yah, this is a lousey public benifit for density bonusing... esp. at $4.00 /.10sq/m thats a good chunk of money squandered by the city.

Old Posted May 22, 2014, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziobrop View Post
ugh.. sadly "(i) the provision of exemplary sustainable building practices." is explicitly mentioned in the land use bylaw. all the other allowable categories are worthwhile, but this is crap.

i have no issues with the building height, but yah, this is a lousey public benifit for density bonusing... esp. at $4.00 /.10sq/m thats a good chunk of money squandered by the city.
This kind of planner attitude is why developers go nuts trying to deal with HRM Planning. Micro-management, dogma, superior attitudes. Meanwhile the empty lots continue to stagnate.

Old Posted May 23, 2014, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
This kind of planner attitude is why developers go nuts trying to deal with HRM Planning. Micro-management, dogma, superior attitudes. Meanwhile the empty lots continue to stagnate.
How is Sam's comment micro-management, dogma, or superior attitude? He's not questioning the extra floor, he's questioning HRM's lame criteria.

The theory behind density bonusing is that society accepts a development that pushes the boundaries* and in exchange the developer provides something for the public good. It's a pretty damn huge stretch to say sustainable building practices are a public good. Well, they are in a global sense, but not a direct public good to the people being affected by the development. Mostly, sustainable building practices are a good for the developer. So giving them bonus density is a double reward. It shouldn't be in the list of acceptable contributions in exchange for bonus density.

Even if we do accept that exemplary sustainable building practices are a public good deserving of bonus density, it's a pretty huge joke to say that LEED Silver is exemplary. They basically get that just by building in a core area on a bus route. We should at least be looking for LEED Platinum or equivalent, or else density bonusing is just a farce and why bother having it at all?

*admittedly the development in this case isn't exactly a huge imposition on society, but Sam's critique isn't focused on this development specifically.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2014, 2:01 AM

Concrete work has begun:

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 3:18 AM
hi

Not a crazy amount of progress since the last picture, but some…

(pic is my own)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 4:52 AM

I heard from a friend who is working on this project that some very old underground tunnels were unearthed here. They run to the west (visible in the lower left of the June 8 photo) and east. It would be interesting to know more about them.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 7:30 PM

Updates on this project will now be available on The Halifax Developments Blog. For this project I am tagging it with #5504SGR, these photos can be viewed here.

Photo by Dmajackson. Hosted via Urban_Halifax on flickr.com

Old Posted Sep 30, 2014, 1:28 PM

One from yesterday

Old Posted Nov 5, 2014, 8:58 PM

One from yesterday

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 8:49 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here's an alternate rendering:

Source

Old Posted Nov 23, 2014, 9:13 PM

Are they on the fourth floor now? Seem to be moving right along.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth