HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:19 PM

I think it's just poor English skills.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch.G, Ch.G View Post
Awesome. The "suburban dream" was racist, classist and unsustainable.
It's still alive & kickin in Bridgeport

Free Nowhereman...fat girls need lovin' too

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Looks like I was mistaken. Students are producing the designs under Jeanne Gang but I assume construction will be left to the professionals.

The budget overall is $16 million for 4 boathouses, so assuming an even split that leaves $4 million for the Bridgeport site, including any site improvements or required remediation. That seems like enough for the design pictured (roughly 44k SF).
Aha...under the IPRO program I'm sure. Either that or she'll just be stealing design ideas under their architecture school's "anything you design belongs to IIT, not you" clause.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 9:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
It's still alive & kickin in Bridgeport
Alive and kicking in the face of any "negro" that dares cross into Bridgeport you mean?

This guy is such a troll. Though I hope he isn't so he can experience the utmost despair as he spends his life watching the problems that used to plague the inner city gradually spread outwards into the suburbs while the inner city continues to revitalize itself.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aic4ever View Post
Aha...under the IPRO program I'm sure. Either that or she'll just be stealing design ideas under their architecture school's "anything you design belongs to IIT, not you" clause.
You mad, bro?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young & Egotistic View Post
I want urban sprawl not urban decay , but like I said this is good news for Downtown Chicago. The suburban dream set back 1950s is really fading.
Ignore this dude. He's not serious. He just pops up once in a while to try to ruffle feathers.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 10:49 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
So dope.

This would be such an awesome node for the the West Side. Fingers crossed. BTW, what's that kinda ugly but kinda great high-rise awkwardly situated on the triangular parcel at Division and Milwaukee?
On the SE corner? That's the Noble Square Co-op.

I've been in there a few times, and the south units have some pretty unbeatable views of downtown (as you probably suspected).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 11:09 PM
dream fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Ignore this dude. He's not serious. He just pops up once in a while to try to ruffle feathers.
He's amusing, as in "funny like a clown".^

3-13 Burberry

Last edited by george; Mar 15, 2012 at 12:06 AM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:17 AM

Awesome close ups george. They make me feel so "Young and Egotistic"..

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:54 AM

Quote:
BTW, what's that kinda ugly but kinda great high-rise awkwardly situated on the triangular parcel at Division and Milwaukee?
Noble Square Co-op

SSDD

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
On the SE corner? That's the Noble Square Co-op.

I've been in there a few times, and the south units have some pretty unbeatable views of downtown (as you probably suspected).

I should have read the entire thread before posting.....

SSDD

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 4:42 AM

Seriously people, if you don't like what he has to say, just ignore it. I have a couple friends who complain endlessly about Chicago's lack of free parking and what a pain it is to walk everywhere...on the flip side, they graduated and moved to shittiest places you could imagine....bland apartment complexes in the middle of nowhere far from any place of interest paying $200/month in rent and all the free parking they could possibly imagine. But they're still my friends...

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 1:33 PM

Quote:
You mad, bro?
Not really. The architecture school does try to make all of their students sign a document to that effect, though. And a friend of mine that studied under Jeanne did a project years ago that I have a hard time believing didn't become the facade for her building at Columbia.

That said, I do fall on the side of the intellectual property argument that says once an idea is in the public domain it's a public idea. You can't really own the idea of a multi-colored glass facade, ya know?

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 2:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Seriously people, if you don't like what he has to say, just ignore it. I have a couple friends who complain endlessly about Chicago's lack of free parking and what a pain it is to walk everywhere...on the flip side, they graduated and moved to shittiest places you could imagine....bland apartment complexes in the middle of nowhere far from any place of interest paying $200/month in rent and all the free parking they could possibly imagine. But they're still my friends...
No, not acceptable, I refuse to be friends with anyone who willingly submits themselves that lifestyle!

Seriously though Hayward, he is a troll, doesn't mean we should take the bait, but none of his comments have any substance beyond trying to say what would most contradict the prevailing opinion on the forum. They are often completely unrelated to the topic at hand like "nice building, but it's too bad they aren't making a parking lot instead"... That's not an opinion, that's an attempt to get a rise out of people.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:54 PM
Deerhoof Evangelist

Navy Pier's trustees have selected the James Corner team for the Navy Pier redesign.

Link

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 7:11 PM
TL;DR

Wasn't my favorite entry, but there's a lot to like in their proposal. It seems like something Jean Nouvel would come up with (definitely not a bad thing).

There's no actual funding for this, right? It's just a refreshing of the master plan?

I would start with revitalizing the amusement area. James Corner proposes to replace the ferris-wheel cars, swing seats, and carousel roof with something much more polychrome and modern. Seems like a relatively low-cost, big-impact move.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 7:24 PM
Urbane observer

MPEA has set aside "seed funding" of approximately $50 million.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Hopefully this can be the foot in the door for a handful of taller buildings in that area. There was a highrise proposal for the superblock to the north, but I don't think it ever got very far.
Not only this area, but all transit rich areas. If a building as dense as this one can be successful and disprove all the typical NIMBY BS I would hope that more developers could be inclined to go after similar projects (atop transit, dense, mixed use, minimal parking) throughout the city. Both Western and California seem poised to allow similar developments take place as well.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 9:28 PM
Urbane observer

I don't remember seeing this mentioned, even though there have been renderings in the window since last spring.

This would be a renovation of the old Chicago Federation of Musicians Building (later Rose Records) at 175 W. Washington. Design by Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture. Subject of a Lunch Talk® at CAF next Wednesday, March 21, at 12:15 pm.

PDF brochure

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 9:47 PM
Tribune in all her glory.

Quote:
Hopefully this can be the foot in the door for a handful of taller buildings in that area. There was a highrise proposal for the superblock to the north, but I don't think it ever got very far.
I'm intrigued. Would you by chance know if there was ever a rendering released? Or maybe know the name of the old project? Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development