HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 12:02 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Blinking light uses far less battery meaning the light can go longer between charges and the overall life of the batteries is longer due to requiring fewer charges. For instance, this simple mini-light runs for 20h steady or 70h flashing.The rule of thumb is: if you're trying to see because you're riding somewhere with insufficient lighting, use steady. If you're trying to be seen by others for safety, use flashing.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2020, 6:22 PM
BANNED

Ironically I went for the first ride with my new lights last night.

I think the flashing trick is just don't make them something that looks like they are coming from a disco. I only flash my red lights and it's a 1 second interval, so it doesn't seem all that distracting.

Anyways covid was a major interruption for my riding. I was home with no bike until August. I rode a handful of times until I broke a spoke in September and didn't fix it until November. At that point I'd given up on daytime riding as it didn't work with my schedule. Waited until I got my lights in the last week.

Last night was awesome, it's also good timing to get into winter cycling as the late night streets will hopefully be empty of people.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2020, 11:22 PM
Registered Drug User

This video shows what cycling is like in the countryside around here. I myself stay off gravel roads save for a few concessions in between paved roads and I don't really feel that my riding is all that limited, but if you do have a gravel bike you certainly do get more roads to play with, there's no question about that.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 25, 2020, 10:53 PM

Having a bike that can give you options is good. I have a couple of bikes that I can use. And now having a fat bike set me up for another full season. Mind you with the lack of much Snow I've seen quite a few out gravel riding lately.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2021, 9:22 PM

I was at Kelso today up in the Milton Escarpment. Lots of people going out on the fat bikes. Goes to show what a difference elevation and a little bit of latitude makes. At home, no snow. In Milton, a dusting on the ground. Drive up for about one minute and everything is white (farmland and forest).

Of course, Glen Eden is thick forest, so that snow isn't going anywhere for a while. So those fat bikers will be happy.

Gotta say, it does indeed look really cool. Though there was a good portion of riders on normal tires too.

I know you can rent fat bikes in Barrie and other places up north. Not sure about TO, but pretty sure not in my western GTA area so I guess I won't be trying anytime soon.

Speaking of fat tires. My cousin's best man at his wedding is this guy, who would do tours through his company Krusader Kruisers. I got to ride around on one of these things and it was awesome. At first you think a bike is a bike, but it's so different.

https://www.facebook.com/fattirecrui...08076949333430

Old Posted Jan 12, 2021, 6:16 PM

Fat bike are great for the winter around here but in the summer the tires are to floaty for the trails in the valley. Most people are running 29s with 3 inch rubber. and most are tubeless now.

[IMG]20210101_113914A by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]PXL_20210110_174916121.MP~2 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-01-12_11-18-12 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited by Airboy; Jan 12, 2021 at 8:24 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 4:48 PM
Beer me Captain

Something for the "who cares" department:

Now that the first 50 days of the year are past, I thought I'd share some notes from my cycling log, as there has been previous discussions/questions about what it's like to ride on the "wet coast" in winter.

Some background, I ride to work (about 30kms return) daily and as my wife and I have a big ride planned for this fall, she has been more aggressive than I in forcing rides this year. As such I have ridden every day so far this year - except 7. 5 of those were ski days (out of town) and only 2 were because it was rainy way too hard. (Of the 5 ski days, all were ridable due to weather, albeit 2 were snow days, but being a rider from Calgary, I would have ridden them).

So based on my logs, of the first 50 days of 2021, only 2 were of the category of being too wet to ride, albeit I did have 4 work rides that were very, very, very wet

On another note, anyone ever ridden in Corsica? The goal is to go there in September, vaccine's being willing!

Do something about your future.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
Something for the "who cares" department:

Now that the first 50 days of the year are past, I thought I'd share some notes from my cycling log, as there has been previous discussions/questions about what it's like to ride on the "wet coast" in winter.

Some background, I ride to work (about 30kms return) daily and as my wife and I have a big ride planned for this fall, she has been more aggressive than I in forcing rides this year. As such I have ridden every day so far this year - except 7. 5 of those were ski days (out of town) and only 2 were because it was rainy way too hard. (Of the 5 ski days, all were ridable due to weather, albeit 2 were snow days, but being a rider from Calgary, I would have ridden them).

So based on my logs, of the first 50 days of 2021, only 2 were of the category of being too wet to ride, albeit I did have 4 work rides that were very, very, very wet
Go for riding, Have a number of Strava friends that pretty much live on the trainers all year and don't want to go outside.

I have only used the trainer 3 times so far this winter and that was all last week. I am only at 350km for the year so far. Mind you thats 350 more than last year. Alberta Cycling put out a tentative schedule so I figure I better start training for my Sept and Oct race season. I will be commuting back to work as well 42km round.

Good luck on your big ride. I take it its over the divide. I've only done that on a MTB and that was during a race.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2021, 10:51 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airboy View Post
Go for riding, Have a number of Strava friends that pretty much live on the trainers all year and don't want to go outside.
Good luck on your big ride. I take it its over the divide. I've only done that on a MTB and that was during a race.
I can't stand trainers ... even more painful than a treadmill (IMHO). That said, distance training in AB is a challenge this time of year. I was fortunate that I had a 28 km route to/from work in Calgary so at least I had some legs once the season started in earnest. It truly is easy to ride year round here ... water can be a challenge, but most times it manageable. That said, I had a first this Spring, wife and I did an early morning ride around the seawall during a king tide (Jan 13). Waves were pretty big such that one of them totally engulfed me! When we got home I did an extra special rinse to get all the saltwater off the bike. Not this year, but these were the waves we rode through - certainly different than snow.

As for Corsica - planning on following the 2013 TdF route (so yeah on the divide), circle the rest of the island and maybe some play riding. The infrastructure there seems very good for bike rentals and support so it should be fun. As long as we're able to travel this fall

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreddog View Post
I can't stand trainers ... even more painful than a treadmill (IMHO). That said, distance training in AB is a challenge this time of year. I was fortunate that I had a 28 km route to/from work in Calgary so at least I had some legs once the season started in earnest. It truly is easy to ride year round here ... water can be a challenge, but most times it manageable. That said, I had a first this Spring, wife and I did an early morning ride around the seawall during a king tide (Jan 13). Waves were pretty big such that one of them totally engulfed me! When we got home I did an extra special rinse to get all the saltwater off the bike. Not this year, but these were the waves we rode through - certainly different than snow.

As for Corsica - planning on following the 2013 TdF route (so yeah on the divide), circle the rest of the island and maybe some play riding. The infrastructure there seems very good for bike rentals and support so it should be fun. As long as we're able to travel this fall
There is a service over there (A couple) that rent good bikes and then follow the various tour routes. Brother did the spanish routes. on De Rosa bikes.

If you are getting out and spinning on varied terrain 28 -40 kms is adequate for now. Being on the fat bike this winter I have found doing the short intense rides with the elevation changes we do its like doing interval training. (had a couple of 28% grades on last weeks ride, May be 30ft but gets the heart working). High mileage can come later. we are about 2 weeks away from longer rides on gravel bikes here and this weekend we are upping our FB rides for mileage. One ride we did 600m of vertical in 21 kms.

Last edited by Airboy; Feb 25, 2021 at 4:59 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2021, 9:31 PM
perhaps . . .

Serious salute to all you winter riders in cold climates. Fat bikes on crisp snow looks great. When the snow lands on the roads, do the plows make enough room for safe riding?

My riding (mountain biking with a few road rides interspersed) in winter is no different from my summer riding. I look forward to the rides on snowy trails when they come. Snow and ice only become an impediment when climbing steep, root filled, tight single-track up the mountains. Without a fire road, like on Fromme, there is a lot of pushing. No complaints though. It's worth it for the slip sliding descents . . . does keep the mileage down though.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2021, 4:27 PM
Beer me Captain

Quote:
There is a service over there (A couple) that rent good bikes and then follow the various tour routes. Brother did the spanish routes. on De Rosa bikes.
I've tentatively reserved our bikes on the assumption that this summer/fall will be crazy with people getting back on with their lifes. Options appear pretty good, but you never really know. As always, I'll be bringing our own saddles and peddles.
Quote:
If you are getting out and spinning on varied terrain 28 -40 kms is adequate for now.
One ride we did 600m of vertical in 21 kms.
Since moving here from Calgary, my early season mileage has certainly improved (even above commuting kms). I certainly could have used that in years past when riding the GT in May (man I miss that tour!). Right now I am a standby on a team in the Golden 24 in June, though that is up in the air. Regardless, the wife and I are likely heading to Calgary around June 11 to ride Highwood pass before it opens up. She's heard me rave about that ride and is quite intrigued.

It certainly will be an interesting with vaccines and what rides will open up. Last summer we toured pretty much the entire KVR and would like to do some similar rides south of the border .... we'll see.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 12:00 AM
菠蘿油

I'm pretty excited about my two new second-hand acquisitions: omafietsen! In other words, Dutch-style grandma bikes.

One is a Batavus that is actually from Holland, the other is Chinese and is similar to the bikes made by Flying Pigeon (although this particular one is not branded and I have no idea as to the specific provenance).

Here's the Dutch one. Single speed, coaster brakes. It has a built-in ring lock at the back which I wish was standard in North America, since it's an added layer of security in addition to a u-lock or heavy chain lock.

And the Chinese one. Single speed, hand brakes (caliper brake on the front wheel, disc brake on the back). Like the Batavus, it has a chain guard.

Both will be nice for cruising around the relatively flat part of town where I live. I'm also hoping the Batavus will be useful for riding next winter.

Last edited by Kilgore Trout; Mar 14, 2021 at 9:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 2:25 AM

Does anyone else remember 2 speed bikes?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
Does anyone else remember 2 speed bikes?
Yup and Also coaster brakes.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I'm pretty excited about my two new second-hand acquisitions: omafieten! In other words, Dutch-style grandma bikes.

One is a Batavus that is actually from Holland, the other is Chinese and is similar to the bikes made by Flying Pigeon (although this particular one is not branded and I have no idea as to the specific provenance).

Here's the Dutch one. Single speed, coaster brakes. It has a built-in ring lock at the back which I wish was standard in North America, since it's an added layer of security in addition to a u-lock or heavy chain lock.

And the Chinese one. Single speed, hand brakes (caliper brake on the front wheel, disc brake on the back). Like the Batavus, it has a chain guard.

Both will be nice for cruising around the relatively flat part of town where I live. I'm also hoping the Batavus will be useful for riding next winter.
Love the bike, And from the times I was on one in Europe quite a nice ride.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:43 PM

Very good weekend to get out and ride. Probably the last fat bike ride of the year.

However, a good 125kms this weekend.

Road ride Friday. Fat bike Saturday and a Gravel ride Sunday.

What I like about the gravel ride is every car or truck we pass on the back roads, They all slow down and wave. Its nice when people are not trying to kill you.
Friday
[IMG]2021-03-08_09-32-36 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Sat
[IMG]2021-03-08_09-32-23 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Sunday
[IMG]2021-03-08_09-31-17 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-03-08_09-31-49 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]
[IMG]2021-03-08_09-33-49 by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/[/url], on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 7:28 PM

Parks Canada announced that they are extending the closure of 1A, Bow Valley Parkway for another season. This is the section from the TCH to Castle Mountain Junction. Also closing until the May long weekend, The Lake Minnewonka Loop. At least Monday through Friday.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 11:36 PM
Closed account

$400 million announced for AT infrastructure today! Really hoping this speeds up some of the bigger projects we have here to connect the disparate pieces of our network.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2021, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
$400 million announced for AT infrastructure today! Really hoping this speeds up some of the bigger projects we have here to connect the disparate pieces of our network.
Where?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada