HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

Sherwin-Williams Headquarters Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Cleveland Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 2:47 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
there is a new recent rumor it could be short stubby buildings, but lets not go there, lets wait and see.

also, they were seen drilling around the sites all the way down for bedrock -- why bother if you are going stubby?

i would imagine there are various massings, with parking being a wildcard factor.

they need a million sq ft of structured parking on this campus, so it depends what they want to build on top of any of it, if anything.

the snap of the pickard chilton massings on the insta above remains the best 'proof' of anything, which isnt much to go on and wasnt even necessarily sw hq, it was just a suspicion.

so we wait.

Where did you hear this?

It would make sense when you think about it, not really any reason other than ego and prestige to build a 1k+ tower somewhere like Cleveland.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 5:40 AM
Show me the blueprints

Maybe the rumor was started by that fired tiktok dude....

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 5:46 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ lol !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Where did you hear this?

It would make sense when you think about it, not really any reason other than ego and prestige to build a 1k+ tower somewhere like Cleveland.

well no one ever expected a 1k+ tower, but to answer your question:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2021/...conic.html?m=1

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 3:38 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post

well no one ever expected a 1k+ tower, but to answer your question:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2021/...conic.html?m=1

This seems like more than a rumor, more like confirmation that it will be several smaller buildings. At the end of the day that's probably better for a city like Cleveland.

Quote:
And then there's the latest rumor which goes in the opposite direction, height-wise. Three sources informed NEOtrans this week that SHW has considered two initial office buildings on its 6.8-acre HQ site. And neither one might top 30 stories, they said.

Specifically, the rumor has the base HQ building on the former Jacobs Lot on Public Square topping out at up to 27 stories. Averaging about 16 feet per floor, that could result in a building height of roughly 430 feet -- barring any rooftop decorative elements. That would be equal in height to the Stokes Federal Courthouse at the corner of West Superior and Huron Road.
Quote:
It's not the first time we've reported that SHW wasn't interested in an HQ with a commanding presence downtown. After all, a visitor to downtown might have difficultly finding their existing HQ without directions. More than a year ago, NEOtrans reported that the conservative, if not stodgy SHW wasn't interested in an "iconic" tower exceeding 40 stories on its proposed urban campus.

But there's some substance behind this latest rumor.

A well-placed source in the SHW HQ team confirmed that when SHW was searching for a downtown HQ site, it asked respondents for proposals that included two 20-something-story buildings with a pedestrian connection between the the two.
Quote:
This rumor is the latest among several about the potential size of this Cleveland real estate whale. But, like the others, there are some legs to this rumor -- and they're not just caissons. Fortunately, each day brings us closer to seeing the actual plans for the HQ project.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2021, 4:04 PM
Show me the blueprints

A friend of mine leaked this exclusive preliminary rendering:

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 7, 2021, 9:26 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ lol perfect!

welp, otoh per records and the drilling teams observed going at it again TODAY ---> Ohio TestBor has permits to release drilling water from bore holes down to bedrock, suggesting large structures are planned here.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:46 PM

That's pretty funny.

I do hope they put in a very large globe covered in paint as a piece of public art and make it as pop art design as possible.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 3:55 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i ecstatic over the damnn decades long eyesore lots being redeveloped, thats the primary goal, but yeah i am dissappoint if no marquee tower on public square.

more doubling down here on the small tower campus:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2021/...n-concept.html

and a few very nicely done unofficial massing guesstimates:

(Ian McDaniel)

(Ian McDaniel)

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 4:00 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Disappointing to hear about the potential for squat buildings, but not terribly unsurprising either.

When you have that much available land to work with, reaching for the sky does not make the most economic sense.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 7:52 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Disappointing to hear about the potential for squat buildings, but not terribly unsurprising either.

When you have that much available land to work with, reaching for the sky does not make the most economic sense.
Indeed, but I also don't think it's that disappointing in the sense that I'd rather have the US's next 1K+ building in a place like Seattle/Austin/LA/Miami/Philly (discounting NY or Chi). Cleveland isn't a major skyline so it's probably better it fills in a bit more first before a project like that.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2021, 8:05 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ i was never under any delusion that a 1,000 footer was likely here.

i did think there was an outside chance of a trophy tower that might climb above 700', or above 500' at the least.

but it sounds like none of these new buildings will even reach that high now.

oh well, it's still a great potential project overall to fill in a lot of god-awful surface lots in downtown cleveland.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 2:36 AM

Cleveland only has 4 buildings over 500', the most recent one built in 1991. Its 3 tallest are extremely tall given the total lack of girth behind them. I think something like a 550' and 625' would go a long way towards filling out Cleveland's skyline. It would be disappointing to not get at least 1 new 500 footer here.

Here's the current Top 10. Overall the city has 4 over 500', 10 over 400', and 20 over 300'. The top 2 in particular are already so good that the city really needs to improve #'s 4-10 much more than it needs a new tallest.

Capture by David Z, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 3:35 AM

I would argue that aesthetically speaking, the disparity between the top 3 and the rest lends to a need for something also in that 600ft+ range, but economics come first for corporations with bottom lines.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2021, 5:56 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

^ if only it was economics, its not at all. its a very old, stodgy company. they have a stodgy architect who designs nice boring glass buildings.

lets remember its all still speculation at this point.

they are drilling to bedrock now, which suggest above 25 stories is in play or at least also a thought in their in house massings, whatever they truly may be. no triggers have been pulled yet.

also, the wildcard is parking. they need 3-4k spaces, which is a lot. like a million sq ft in itself. if they decide to build on some of it that keeps height back in play.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 2:37 PM
somewhere in-between

I just saw this. Although the video aired a few weeks ago, I don't think it has been shared on here yet -

The article title is a bit misleading, because there's still no detailed site plans. But there is this massing rendering, which more or less aligns with the unofficial guesses, posted previously (though this version might be even "stubbier") -

Source: WKYC (screen grab)

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:38 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the latest uproar is they arent putting the hq on the prime lot on public square, they are putting a lowrise training center there.

we'll see if that happens (ie., if amenity means hotel partner).

here is the site plan to date:

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 3:48 PM

This looks fantastic! Will really change downtown Cleveland. Only issue I have is the large amount of space dedicated to a parking garage. "Future development" has me a little worried though, seems like developing the entire area will be drawn out over the decade.

I really hope they go with a futuristic modern design.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2021, 4:02 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

the future development sites are sort of a placeholder for what would more traditionally fill back in the warehouse district, gutted in part by these decades old parking oceans.

i believe or as far as is known or guessed it is envisioned as a combination of more sw office space, with perhaps housing, hotel and retail. i would not be surprized if they sell a bit of it off or partner up if someone wants to build something they like.

for example, i can see a need for something like long term apts for visiting employees. also, keep in mind they definiately want a top end hotel, which could go there (cleveland has nice hotels, but not a top end five star or whatever hotel). definately some of it will be held for sw offices expansion.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 10:39 PM

Sherwin Williams to announce headquarters proposal July 20th.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2021, 11:09 PM
DENNAB

So it'll be somewhere between 529 and 658 feet tall (the current 4th and 3rd tallest).

Not bad for Cleveland, at least it's an official skyscraper.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction