HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 1:58 AM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 6, 2020 at 2:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 2:12 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 6, 2020 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 4:42 PM
A.F.K.A. JayPro

That projection to the right which causes the vertical sliver of sunshine at the right times of the day makes me happy....
That LilianMarlen shot is precious. How it sparkles(!) I have no clue, except to call it an optical illusion/trompe l'oeil.

Edit via Question: It it me or does that projection in the abovementioned photo actially rise ever so slightly higher than the parapet?

Last edited by Prezrezc; Sep 6, 2020 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 9:52 PM

I noticed that the tower crane is pulled down .
So right now there is no hope that the spire will come back
I hope that peen station will give birth a 2100ft tower .

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
I noticed that the tower crane is pulled down .
So right now there is no hope that the spire will come back
I hope that peen station will give birth a 2100ft tower .
You never know, they might pull a Chrysler Building stunt

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 11:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 6, 2020 at 11:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 12:08 AM

It's absurd how tall this is (in a good way!) Great photos

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:13 PM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Sep 7, 2020 at 2:31 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 2:30 PM

It's not the greatest design...would have benefitted so mightily from a graceful, soaring crown or a real spire(not a cheapo stick it on job, but an Empire State Building or Chrysler Building spire) but it still is massive and isn't bad to look at, even if it wasn't designed really with aesthetics in mind. I think though that it may eventually be considered underrated, and it does impress because of its height even if it doesn't inspire great appreciation for its design. And at that point, "underrated" wouldn't be wrong.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
It's not the greatest design...would have benefitted so mightily from a graceful, soaring crown or a real spire(not a cheapo stick it on job, but an Empire State Building or Chrysler Building spire) but it still is massive and isn't bad to look at, even if it wasn't designed really with aesthetics in mind. I think though that it may eventually be considered underrated, and it does impress because of its height even if it doesn't inspire great appreciation for its design. And at that point, "underrated" wouldn't be wrong.
Agree on the spire, would really accentuate the verticality, especially at that corner with the chamfer/bevel. But disagree with it not being designed with "aesthetics in mind." Don't confuse a lack of aesthetics (ANYTHING in NYC by Gene Kaufman for instance) with individual preference. I think many of us like this building's massing, use of the canteliever, quality of glass, etc. Ultimately all commercial/residential building are designed with function in mind - they are generating revenue and aren't museum sculpture pieces. Not everything will be designed like Steinway and 57W57 (that would get boring too). This could have been a disaster, particularly at such a high profile location and with its mamoth proportions. I for one am pretty pleased with the result.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheLoopFromNYC View Post
Agree on the spire, would really accentuate the verticality, especially at that corner with the chamfer/bevel. But disagree with it not being designed with "aesthetics in mind." Don't confuse a lack of aesthetics (ANYTHING in NYC by Gene Kaufman for instance) with individual preference. I think many of us like this building's massing, use of the canteliever, quality of glass, etc. Ultimately all commercial/residential building are designed with function in mind - they are generating revenue and aren't museum sculpture pieces. Not everything will be designed like Steinway and 57W57 (that would get boring too). This could have been a disaster, particularly at such a high profile location and with its mamoth proportions. I for one am pretty pleased with the result.
I really can't argue your point... we still do have a number of outstanding designs like Steinway and 57 W 57th, and yes... all in all, Central Park Tower makes for a stunning site in its sheer height and there weren't any egregious mistakes. Overall, it's a functional, nice tower that will be underrated and people will grow to really like it despite its flaw of not having a memorable exclamation point of a spire or crown.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Here's the thing about the Central Park Tower. The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center were NOT great architectural towers. Before 9/11, most people couldn't tell you any details about the designs, other than the obvious that made them stand out - they were indentical towers of enormous size and height. They were the first supertall buildings built in the city (and really the world) since the Empire State, about 4 decades earlier. So they were going to be noticed, and people came to love them because they were dominating, identifiable marks on the skyline and the city. Central Park Tower, while taller than everything around it, is not so much taller that it blows everything away. And it comes at a time when there is a small army of supertall towers taking over the skyline. It would have helped a lot if this tower had something that set it apart, because a skyline is mostly made up of silhouettes. And the ones that stand out the most are the ones that taper, or had some other distinguishable feature other than a flat roof. And there is no observation deck to draw attention to it.

New York's skyline is world famous, and it became that way because of the dramatic peaks that were built there. (NY was NY before it had a skyline, but the skyline and the city has gone hand in hand for a century and more.) Central Park Tower should have been more than it is, and in fact it was at one time. Too bad. It'll join the army of supertalls taking over the skyline, and it'll be fine. There are other mistakes, such as how this tower meets the street and it's base (there is no connection). But that's another story.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 4:24 PM
New Yorker for life

That being said, the building is nearing completion, and it is very tall.

SEPTEMBER 7, 2020

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
The Twin Towers of the World Trade Center...were the first supertall buildings built in the city (and really the world) since the Empire State
Chicago's John Hancock Center was built from 1965 to 1969. Construction of 1WTC started in 1968, and 2WTC in 1969.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 6:47 PM
An Optimistic Realist

That height is intense. And I thought 432 Park Avenue was a beast.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 11:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
Chicago's John Hancock Center was built from 1965 to 1969. Construction of 1WTC started in 1968, and 2WTC in 1969.
I aware of that, basically the same era. The Empire State was from decades earlier (another era), and was the tallest building in the world. Not to knock the Hancock, but it wasn't on the Manhattan skyline.

Three towers waiting for their lighting debut...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE3ArTojGtR/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE44xJYAsJZ/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CEiKExqBgM0/

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Older pics, but the view is insane...

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE7hCuUATLN/

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 3:34 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 2:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Pic by me. Taken yesterday.

Eagle Rock 09-12-2020 - 6 by Christopher Estevez, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 3:47 PM
New Yorker for life

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive