HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 12:25 PM

Its like night and day the reviews of this building. Most people here, like myself, Love this building. Was just reading a article on Yimby and almost every review was negative. Like to know what idea of a building they would approve.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 3:25 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianowizard View Post
I am not denying that a properly designed spire can make a building look nicer -- one of the best examples is Trump Chicago IMO -- and certainly spires are a widely used way to increase structural height.
Well, look again, and compare the spires. And if your only concern is about the extra "height" the spire would add, then make it antenna if you will. My concern is about the skyline, and creating a tower that is more than the unispired mass that this tower will be without the spire. Nothing sets it apart besides the height, and most people would be hard pressed to recognize it outside of the NY skyline. The spire was well integrated into the design, and at least when seen would immediately elevate the tower into something more.

Quote:
But faridnyc was talking about making the CPT *dominate* the skyline. It takes a lot more mass than a slender spire to dominate a skyline that already has many imposing buildings.
Faridnyc wants a 3,000 ft skyscraper. I'm talking about a skyline that is befitting of New York. This tower was designed with at least an attempt at that, which is the only reasing we're discussing it. I'm sure it will have a nice, shiny facade. That will be nice. But most people will view this on the skyline. Chop 500 ft off this building, and it's fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton View Post
Its like night and day the reviews of this building. Most people here, like myself, Love this building. Was just reading a article on Yimby and almost every review was negative. Like to know what idea of a building they would approve.
There's plenty to choose from. Look around.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0i4plHBCH7/

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 5:24 PM
New Yorker for life

JULY 29, 2019

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 6:22 PM

^ In these photos the crane atop the CPT looks kind of like a spire! The building does look more pleasing with this pseudo spire of this height (~120 feet?), so NYguy and I are in agreement on this point. In my last two posts, I was disagreeing with faridnyc that the original slender spire would add to the CPT's dominance, because dominance is about massiveness, not aesthetics. Since he wishes for dominance, he should wish for a crown or at least a very fat spire.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:22 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

NYC Top by Fernando Parga, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXFrank View Post
That building next to BIGs Pyramid (on viewers’ left) is horrendous, I don’t know if it’s a city power plant, water plant or what, I know it’s an important station. But at least they need to mask it some way or build something nice on top.
That may be the next epic NIMBY vs. developer grudge match. I believe the entire block is owned by ConEd, and they no longer need the entire property, so NIMBYs have pushed for landmarking the historic end of the block (the 11th Ave. side).

Ideally, we would get a supertall facing the river, replacing that ugly newer addition, and the historic hall is converted to a museum, kinda like the Tate Modern.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 8:56 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
That may be the next epic NIMBY vs. developer grudge match. I believe the entire block is owned by ConEd, and they no longer need the entire property, so NIMBYs have pushed for landmarking the historic end of the block (the 11th Ave. side).

Ideally, we would get a supertall facing the river, replacing that ugly newer addition, and the historic hall is converted to a museum, kinda like the Tate Modern.
Yeahs its Con-Ed. I use to go to meetings there with Con-Ed. On a side note, nepotism and Con-Ed go hand in hand, which is a bad thing.

A lot of potential for that parcel or at least incorporation of some existing elements into a future project.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2019, 9:18 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jul 31, 2019, 4:48 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 31, 2019 at 5:07 AM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 2:18 AM
New Yorker for life

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 1, 2019 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 1:52 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:43 PM
New Yorker for life

This won't hold the "title" for long, but noteworthy for what it is...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/chicago...e-highest-roof

For Willis Tower, another title has fallen
The one-time record-holder will lose the unofficial title of highest roof in the Western Hemisphere.

By Syd Stone
August 1, 2019

Quote:
Willis Tower was robbed of its title as the world’s tallest building in 1996. It lost the title of tallest building in the United States in 2014. It got bumped off of the list of the world’s 10 tallest buildings in 2016.

And now, the 110-story building can’t even hold onto an unofficial title: tallest roof height in the Western Hemisphere.

Construction on New York’s Central Park Tower reportedly just surpassed the Chicago building’s 1,450 feet
Quote:
Extell, Central Park Tower’s New York-based developer, wouldn’t verify that construction on the luxury condo building has, in fact, topped Willis Tower. But Daniel Safarik, a spokesman at the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, said when the New York building’s construction is complete, it will have edged out Willis.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 9:33 PM
Ex Houstonian

Can't wait to see this with that blue wrap taken off the windows. I bet most passerbys don't realize that the blue colour is just wrap. I would imagine the vast majority of people just think thats the actual colour of the windows.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 2:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Can't wait to see this with that blue wrap taken off the windows. I bet most passerbys don't realize that the blue colour is just wrap.
I would imagine the vast majority of people just think thats the actual colour of the windows.
Yeah, I've seen posts of people online calling it a blue building.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rsfjQpU-G/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0raSGAH3Yt/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0rbUDVhis0/

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 3, 2019 at 2:16 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:50 AM
New Yorker for life

The King and Queen of Central Park.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0wdzLGBHTa/

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 4:56 AM

^Would that make 432 the bishop?

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 1:47 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyy View Post
^Would that make 432 the bishop?
Or One57.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/04/high-d...w-skyscrapers/

High dining coming to Billionaires’ Row skyscrapers

By Jennifer Gould Keil
August 4, 2019

Quote:
What’s better than living in one of those fancy skyscrapers on Billionaires’ Row? A dinner that’s just an elevator ride away — at a private restaurant helmed by a Michelin-starred chef.

In September, world-famous chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten will open a residents-only restaurant at 220 Central Park South — the swanky new tower designed by starchitect Robert A.M. Stern where the most expensive home in US history recently got sold.

“It’s an exclusive amenity that is attractive to ultra-high net-worth buyers,” Pamela Liebman, Chief Executive of Corcoran, says of private restaurants. “You never have to leave the building. You can go right downstairs and know that everything will be perfect.”

Two blocks south at 225 W. 57th St., developer Gary Barnett’s Central Park Tower — which will become the tallest residential building in the world at 1,550 feet when it opens next year — will boast a private restaurant on its 100th floor, right next to the ballroom and cigar bar.

“It’s going to be stunning,” gushed a broker.

Meanwhile, 432 Park —soaring 1,396 feet — already employs Michelin-starred chef Shaun Hergatt at its residents-only eatery.

The 12th-floor venue spans 8,500 square feet and comes with a 4,000-square-foot terrace. The menu is varied and changes often, and if you have a private party, Hergatt can cater it.

“Breakfast is free. Everything else you pay for,” said Douglas Elliman broker Alexander Boriskin, who, with DE’s Michael Lorber, is co-listing a 62nd-floor, $28 million unit in the building.

“Residents who don’t think they would be eating there often quickly change their tune once they move in and try it,” Boriskin added.

“They even import their own types of butter, one of which is buckwheat,” adds Lorber. “It’s amazing!”

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 2:27 PM

i hope that the megatall in time square will be possible to build it s so dominating

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 3:03 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
i hope that the megatall in time square will be possible to build it s so dominating
Well, it's not going to be built. Just enjoy watching the CP Tower go up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0xISLNAEAY/

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0wuXlTjZ7l/

Old Posted Aug 5, 2019, 7:02 PM

In my latest video Nordstrom is shown from here in Rockaway: BY QUEENSNY121:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdalUpYOQYE

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive