HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:09 AM

A widening project is scheduled on the 401 from the Credit River to Milton, but the work that is ongoing currently is just a bridge replacement project. The bridge replacement project is scheduled to be complete this fall. The widening project from the Credit River to Milton could potentially start as early as next year.

We have a new government with different priorities now then we did when the initiated the design of the Credit River to Milton project, but I can't see the Tories delaying a needed highway infrastructure project in the 905 for any reason.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 1:33 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yea I’m still waiting for the new highway program to come out.

It’s good to see where the priorities are.

Ps: Note my profile picture.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2018, 12:35 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

An accident just closed down Highway 400 S near Mctier at exit 189. Detour via Lake Joseph Road (Old Highway 69/169), Muskoka Road 38, and Ragged Rapids Road.

Ps: Did anyone else notice that there’s actually no reasonably local EDR for 400 between exit 162 and exit 177? Sometimes I really wonder if pedestrians and cyclists are allowed on the highway for those 15 km. I wonder the same thing for the twinned section of 69 as well.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 5:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Highway 3 Twinning Delayed

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 6:03 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Just some observations about Highway 417:
Whenever I go on it, I never see that many trucks. For the most part, I only see passenger vehicles.

Yesterday, I went on Prescott & Russell County Road 17 (Old Highway 17) for the scenic drive. The number of trucks that I saw on it is ridiculous.

So now I know where all the trucks have been.

Then the question came back to my mind: Why did MTO decide to loop around and bypass Highway 17 back in the 50’s and 60’s? Why didn’t it just continue twinning Highway 17 around Cumberland, Rockland and Hawkesbury?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 7:29 PM

The commonly held belief is that the current alignment of the 417 serves traffic to and from both Montreal and Ottawa, as well as traffic to and from Ottawa and Cornwall, and is about the same distance as the routing of Old Highway 17 via Rockland.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2018, 7:47 PM

I heard the U-shaped alignment through Prescott-Russell was picked over a widening of the 17 because of costs.

One odd distinction.. After the 417 opened, the 17 continued to have the Trans Canada Highway designation even though it was no longer the main route. It was only after Harris downloaded the 17 to Prescott-Russell in the late 1990s that the TCH designation was moved.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:31 AM

The cost was definitely a big factor for sure. Property acquisitions were easier by having the route to the South.

Another big reason was environmental concerns. A family member of mine actually did environmental studies in the early 1970s involving construction of the highway. He told me that it dips to the South rather than going in a straight line in order to avoid natural wooded areas and marshes. You can check it out on Google maps. Another goal was to not break up and divide the habitats for wildlife as much as possible.

There was a goal of having Hwy 417 completed in time for the Summer Olympics in Montreal in 1976 and it was completed the year before.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2018, 1:52 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Yet the irony is that nowadays traffic between Orléans and Rockland gets so heavy that both Ottawa and P&R need to widen it anyway.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2018, 6:10 PM

The first step to the cancellation of the project?

Hopefully their line-by-line review is just a temporary set back for this project (and the others already announced but not commenced). It appears that a similar open house for the secondary Nipigon River crossing will proceed as scheduled and is not being temporarily delayed as well.

Lots of trucks from TBT Engineering on the side of 11/17 where the hydro lines cross the highway at Loon. They've also got an excavator in the bush again, knocking down trees, but only in patches. You can actually see some of this patchy clearing on along the highway on Google Maps. No wholesale route clearing though.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:21 AM
I am a typical

No, Greg Rickford promised shortly after the election that all the Liberal highway projects in the two non-PC ridings are dead. That project has been cancelled, and while the open house for the Nipigon backup route might go ahead, it's pretty much guaranteed that it won't happen as long as the PCs are in power.

I wouldn't be surprised if they silently decide not to make any more progress on the Thunder Bay Expressway project as well. That can also likely be considered dead.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 5:40 AM
Road Engineer Wannabe

The partisan game is real.

I would have thought that people would be happy as long as any segment of TCH is being widened.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 2:12 PM

What interests me about the Thunder Bay to Nipigon segment of Highway 11/17 are the bridges. Both the Black Sturgeon River and Coldwater Creek bridges are fairly old and pretty narrow. This is particularly noteworthy for the Black Sturgeon River bridge as it's actually a fairly lengthy span. I'm curious if there will be structural needs that drive at least segments of the twinning and realignment project to be completed.

So, while I don't think that we'll see any additional twinning on the Thunder Bay to Nipigon stretch of highway in the next few years, I am curious if we'll see any two-lane realignments, specifically at either of the large river crossings or the CPR crossing at Ouimet.

Last edited by sonysnob; Sep 4, 2018 at 3:22 PM.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 3:38 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Normally I don’t talk about TCH in this thread but I will just make an exception today.

Speaking of bridges, don’t forget this one: Shabaqua Corner’s bridge. From google map view, Shabaqua Road was supposed to cross Shabaqua River too, but the bridge has been out for a long time. It’d be nice to see that bridge put back, or else anything that happens on the current bridge would cut Canada in half.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 4:05 PM

I don't know the specific history well enough to be completely certain, but it's pretty safe to assume that today's Shabaqua Road was at one point continuous with a bridge across the river.

According to thekingshighway.ca, there was a pre-existing road between Shabaqua and Shebandowan before Highway 120 (today's Highway 11) was constructed between Shabaqua and Atikokan. This pre-existing road almost certainly followed today's Shabaqua Road through the community of Shabaqua. The old Shabaqua Road bridge was probably removed sometime following that due to a deteriorated state of repair.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:26 AM
I am a typical

I'm not aware of any old bridges at Shabaqua, but there is an old bridge over the Kaministiquia River just east of Sistonen's Corners. It carried Highway 102 until the 1970s, when the province realigned multiple parts of the road and upgraded it to a proper highway. That route isn't suitable for a highway because of the terrain, traffic would have to slow considerable to actually get to it since it's much lower down. The current bridge, it you'll look at your map, actually goes over another bridge. Also, that area isn't vital; it's east of 11/17 there is a detour opportunity.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:01 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Is there a deadline by which MTO must publish its 5-year Highway programs?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 2:17 PM

There is not a legislative deadline that requires the government to publish a five year plan.

It was under the previous liberal government that the MTO began publishing it's five year plan online. It's not a guarantee that the current Progressive Conservative government will be as forthcoming with their plans and publish a five year plan.

Last edited by sonysnob; Sep 5, 2018 at 3:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonysnob View Post
There is not a legislative deadline that requires the government to publish a five year plan.

It was under the previous liberal government that the MTO began publishing it's five year plan online. It's not a guarantee that the current Progressive Conservative government will be as forthcoming with their plans and publish a five year plan.
Given the actions of the current government in their short time in power thus far I don't know that they could give us a five week plan, much less a five year plan. Other than to say "if the Liberals did it then we aren't."

Which is incredibly disheartening.

On a somewhat related note - Hydro One is removing telephone poles near the Dorion Loop that needed to be removed for the planned twinning next year - there is no reason to remove them otherwise. So maybe all of the projects are not 100% dead.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:17 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Meanwhile Highway 17’s washed out again between SSM and Wawa.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario